The joy of 22 long rifle

i keep buying more .22's than centerfire rifles.

im already at 11 rimfires. planning on 20 more .22LR's

latest bulk purchase was a bunch of Glenfield/Marlin 60's for $60 - $80 a piece

loving them tubed rifles.

.22lr is by far my fave. i grew up shooting my Remington model 121 "fieldmaster"

been shooting it for nearly 50 years

more fun than a barrel of monkeys

Some of you might also have tried the Romanian M-69 Trainer.
It is really light, handy and seems like a smaller .22LR version of my Yugo Mauser, but the M-69, in my opinion, has better sights. The Yugo, because of the lousy sights, is no longer used...period.

And the river bottom where I shoot is so much quieter with the M-69 than with my SKS, Enfields, FR8s or Garand.

I love rimfires. My favorite rifle is the Browning BL-22. Accurate as heck with anything I feed it. Favorite poistol is a toss up, either the semi auto or single six Ruger Hunter.

It's the most affordable past-time I picked up, shooting old boltactions at camp as a youth. I'm actually looking to get a nice bolt action soon. But as of now, i shoot my 1022. It's probably not the biggest challenge for the elite target shooters, but I love smacking golf balls consistently from 55 yards (lazer ranged)......and I just love doing this with the new CCI Quiet ammo. The round moves so slow and combined with the low report, ya get a chance to hear that satisfying high pitched smack as the golf ball goes flying:D

I get the CCI Quiets at my local gunshow for 27 bucks per brick. They don't cycle semis, but they have a pleasingly low report. I've shot them at ranges up to 125 yards at fence post size targets. Was :) when I found out I could turn my 1022 into an accurate pellet rifle.

20121028_151102.jpg

20121028_102937.jpg

20121202_114924.jpg

Last edited:
well then..

if a .22 at 100 yards is like a "big rifle" at 600, then what, exactly, is my 300 yard hit on a soda can with my .22? savage MKII G, great little gun. accurate, reliable, and fun as hell, like al .22s.

Great thread!

My ten year old (to me) .22 is The Remington Viper, model 522. The pawn shop let it go for $80 back then, and it eats cheap Remington bulk ammo like there's no tomorrow. The synthetic stock is a definite plus! Some owners found this rifle problematic due to plastic mags., or ejection issues.

Attachments

• Viper.jpg
    Viper.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 15
Got more guns then I can shoot in one day but the 22's get the nod more than half the time, I had 11 for a long time, only sold 2 in the last 50 years and today I have (12) 22's. My latest gun acquisition:

walkerholsters004.jpg

Love .22s. Most fun firearms probably...

Currently discovering the joys of .22 pistol shooting:

Colt Woodsman sporter in 4 3/4" and S&W 17 6" currently getting a lot of time out

Looking for a couple of ,22 rifles after moving countries.

Thinking:

Brno .22
Browning SA-22 Takedown

Later date:
.22 Lever (Maybe Browning BL?)
Pump action .22 (anyone got any thoughts on that)

I own a S&W M&P semi-auto pistol and a Henry Golden Boy; both in .22 lr. What I love about the .22 lr round, is that it allows me to shoot much more often. I don't reload, so the .22 lr enables a retired person like myself, to spend extra time at the range. It's also a great round to introduce children & grandchildren to the shooting sports. I have other guns in various calibers; but I shoot and enjoy my two .22s the most.

Back