The Ideal 1911for the working guy.

Don't you hate forward cocking serrations? Don't you hate that they work and you use them? Ugly, ugly, ugly. I definitely agree that they should be optional--but how much would it cost to leave some off when they make the slides?

Personally, I've always liked Dave Lauck's forward serrations. If one must have 'em.

Um, fwiw, I just did the SA-Loaded versus Kimber Classic Custom comparision over the last few weeks, prior to deciding which one to buy. Surfing the various forums for praises and complaints, found plenty on both sides for both brands.

Most common negatives mentioned on the forums on the SA-Loaded seem to be the 2-piece guide rod unscrewing on some, rear sight set screw unscrewing, rear sight dovetail cut too loose and the rear sight drifting around, sharp edges, and fatter frontstrap. Most of the looseness problems are said to be fixable with Lok-tite or teflon tape on the guide rod threads, but that was still a concerned to me...

When I handled one at my local shop, the sharp edges everywhere were a major negative to me. The fat frame was okay, although I'd prefer the contoured Kimber frame.

Most negs on Kimber are the occasional one with feeding problems, too tight chambers, etc.

Anyway, I finally broke the 'tie' by asking long time 'hardcore' 1911 shooters at my local club. While some recommended Kimbers, none recommended SA's, at least not without sending it out for an upgrade package (e.g. Bilby). Not scientific, I know, but what the heck...

I opted to get a Kimber Heritage Custom Classic that I lucked out finding on sale and so far, after 400+ rounds, it's been running flawlessly. So I'm a happy camper...

Fyi, I bought a 1991-A1 Commander that's turned out to be quite the lemon. Jamma-matic from day one. Sensitive to brands of mags. Chronic last round jams, even with factory 7 rd. mags. Has turned into quite a project gun, trying to debug this little sucker in my spare time. Tried all the 'usual suspects' according to the 'how to' 1911 books. Replacing the factory slide lock lever turned out to reduce much of the problems. (hmmm. Not in the book...) I had previously adjusted and readjusted the extractor, polished the breechface, etc. (Too cheap/poor to send it out for professional help...) <g>

Otoh, I bought a Colt Combat Target a couple of years back and it has been flawless from day one... Go figure... Put together on a good day, I guess....

Fwiw, most of my Colts tends to have a very loose slide/frame fit, whereas the SA's and Kimber's I've seen have a much tighter fit...

These days, about the only choices in shops in my area are SA's or Kimber's. Colt 1911's are getting rarer and rarer.

Hello Henry, Getting back to you on Bill Wilson,I haven't shot an IDPA match in a couple of years so I don't Know what he is using the most now.I have shot IDPA some at his Berryville range But It has been a while.Too bussy with work etc to stay in the game like I would like to.Back when I did shoot, Bill shot about everything at the local matches.What you must have ment, is that He decided to shoot the Mod 92 at the nationals or some other big match.I am sure he hasn't given up the 1911 for good, He has been competing with them for over 25 years.However I was very surprised to find out in the local matches at Bill Wilson's range,When I was just getting started in IDPA, That the scores turned in were just as good with the Glocks and Barettas as they were with the 1911's. Also I used to shoot IPSC many years ago,and I remember how we were always consumed with how good a trigger we could get on our 1911s.That years later in IDPA see people shoot just as good a scores with a Glock trigger.It just about blew my mind at first.I can't help it though for me at least I am sticking with the 1911,I have shot it too many years.That doesn't mean I don't shoot other guns thought its just that the 1911 is still my favorite.Nevada

George - ISO 9002 is a documetation standard, not process - it means that you've got good documentation, not necessarily a good process. OTOH, it also means that you follow the process documented, and it does provide a foundation for processimprovement. Nit picking aside, Brazilian manufacturing can be ( and is) world class in certain sectors, and they have legitimate bragging rights in metallurrgy, with upstream evidence in firearms and areospace, to name a few.

Back on thread, I'm a Kimber guy myself, but mostly 'cause that's what was available locally, and mine (Custom Royale, Stainless Comapct, and plain jane Ultra carry) have been flawless. The few SA's I've handled just didn't have the finished feeling that the Kimbers had, though there was no doubt that they were real 'tanks'. I like my Kimbers for the same reason I like my SIGs - they work great out of the box. The only things I've done is sights - Ashley Big Dot/Trit on the Ultra (very fast acquisition -very nice), Night Eyes on the Compact (too new to have an opinion, maybe shoulda gone with more Ashley's), and I'd like to do a fibre optic front on the Royale. Value-wise, I think the Kimbers are pretty good. I paid $649 for the Ultra, $669 for the compact, and $749 for the Royale. the shop that had teh SA's weren't dealing.
FWIW. M2

My $.02: don't go cheap on a 1911... if you want to gamble your money away go to Vegas. Get a basic Kimber, you'll have a first-rate gun that you can trick out later if you want to. JMHO from a very happy Kimber owner.

C.B.

I recommend spending $500 on a Springfield loaded gov't model then having between $200 and $400 worth of customizing performed by a competent gunsmith. (Depending on your preferences.)

The end result is a superior pistol and at least a grand of pocket change.

George, George, George, George, and George

Despite the fact I don't post here every day I am highly incensed at your lack of respect for the original commercial 45 Automatic Pistol. If I were less of a gentleman I would tell you where to stick your springfield or kimber counterfeits but I will not because we are friends.

Sincere personal regards,

George

You know this had the making of a fine topic but we lost are way. George had an idea for a quality budget 1911 style pistol that needs no customizing and that the everyday joe can afford. Instead we turn it into a "My Brand is better" theme. Shame on all of us.

PS. I like my Kimber
PSS. Stainless 1911's are still ugly to me

The Original...
Oh, I respect it.
I remember the first time I fired a 1911. It was a REAL Original. The fellow that took me shooting was my girlfriends father, a Vietnam War Vet. (dont ask) I had fired large pistols before - even .44 Magnums... just not the 1911.

I remeber the severe bite I got on my hand... along with 2 parallel cuts. I bled like my hand was amputated... the bite caused me to almost drop the pistol!

I remember the look of disappointment in the fellows eyes...
For some reason, that girlfriend and I parted ways.

Ah, the memories...
Thank Gawd for Bevertails!

I had carried a regular 1911 for a long time in the Army.
About as GI and Original as you can get. Never got bit again... In fact I trusted it with my life and it in fact saved it... Once AFTER catching a slug from another .45!
I ended respect it.

I also respect the improvements afforded by a nice bevertail, good sights, and an extended safety.

George, I agree that the front serrations are butt ugly but they are useful. Why don't they 30 or 40 lpi it like the front strap? I think that would look better and if done right, would be hardly noticable. What do you think?

I got a chance to play around with a SA TRP and I was very impressed with the pistol. Interestingly, with the front strap checkered, the blockiness of the pistol was broken. It had the feel of the Kimber CDP- very comfortable. It was the first SA that I really liked the feel of. It had the look and feel of real quality. Had I not just paid for a Les Baer, I would have probably bought it. I'm not sure I am getting that much more pistol for my money, but what the heck. By the way, Gunsite has been producing their GSP using SA frames and slides, but is switching over to Caspian which will drive up their cost. I wonder why? Anyway, it speaks well of the SA.

George:
I've been shooting my Norinco 1911A1 in USPSA/IPSC for a year now. I've installed a few mods to it, and have found it extremely reliable and forgiving. It'll eat up any kind of ammunition, too...very accurate. I'd put it up against any current model Colt; it wouldn't disgrace itself.
As for American cars...I must have missed the one that's more reliable than a Japanese car...<g>
Mike

Current Colt Quality

BigG,

I am glad we are among friends. Therefore, I'll respectfully ask you to slow down for just a moment. I own four .45 ACPs: a Sig P220, an H&K USP, a pre-WWII Colt 1911A1, and a modern Kimber Custom/Classic "1911A1 type". Keeping with the thread, this discussion should focus only on the 1911A1s.

My pre-WWII Colt is marvelous -- and I certainly respect the true genius of J. M. Browing and the craft of Colt's artisans of yesteryear. The unfortunate fact, however, is that Colt ceased the manufacture of consistently excellent, high quality 1911A1s decades ago. The essential word is "consistent" and the proof is the out-of-the-box horror stories re the 1991. IMHO, you simply cannot trust Colt's recent "1911 type" production to be uniformly excellent. SA's and Kimber's current out-of-the-box quality is markedly better.

Accordingly, I don't disrespect Colt; rather, Colt is contemptuous of me -- and every other handgunner -- by marketing some shoddy .45 ACPs.

Mike - the Norinco is Chinese not Japanese.
Yeah - its indeed a good pistol and less spendy.
But its made by Norinco - the worlds largest arms maker who supplies the comunist chinese red army. I'ld rather those bloody sods didn't have any of my money.

Checkering instead of serations on the front...
Thats interesting. I'll have to see one in person...
The idea has merit.

Back to Brazil

The anti-gun types in Brazil lost out when it got to their higher court. The last thing I read on this topic was that the law was tossed and guns were back in down in Brazil.

My latest 1911 is an SA 1911-A1 loaded. As a minimum I'll have a meltdown treatment done to smooth out the sharp corners and will probably have some internal reliability work done. Then repark the whole thing.

The reason Ken Hackathorn uses a 9mm in IDPA is the recoil of a 9 is a little easier on the ol' joints. His carry gun is a Wilson CQB compact.
Some .45 guys may use a 9mm because they are sponsered.

In my experience basic Kimbers are better-finished more accurate and reliable pistols.
The Springfields I've handled were simply not as much gun for the money, particularly in the accuracy department.

Just my observations; your results may vary.

Back