The HK MP 5

4V50,

From my experiences with the SP89 modified to MP5 size, that bloody thing is accurate.

Keeping all shots of a full 30 round clip, in single shot mode, on a man size target in the 10 zone is not a problem at 50 yrds. Only limit is how good the shooter is. So I don't have a hard time believing HK's claims, assuming the shooter is good enough.

I would hazard to guess that factory MP5's are even more accurate than the modified one that I tried.

Hi Mute,

I imagine you're right about a PDW with the stock in the extended position. My only firing experience with a PDW type weapon was the MP5K which, unlike its American modified cousin, had no stock. The one I fired also had no sling so I didn't have that benefit when I shot it (so called SAS assault style).

Needless to say, I couldn't control the direction of a burst. About three hits was the best I could get on the target at about ten paces (full auto).

My friend, a German police officer, did no better. He has access to about a dozen MP5s in different configurations. He selected the MP5K for us to play with. Now, he works for 1 bureau (since then transferred to homicide) and there is something on the order of 11 other bureaus, each with a flimsy office cabinet which housed a similiar array of MP5s. The Germans aren't like Americans in that a SWAT member gets issued one gun, and trains with that same gun, and gets called out using that same gun. The Germans can trade off and take their fancy. Boy, sometimes the grass is really greener on the other side.

Now, the HK MP5 with a stock extended or fixed stock under full auto is a different story. The greatest distance I shot at in full auto was about 25 yards - and that was a short burst. (One thing I like about HK is that it is so easy to get a two or three shot burst off with just trigger control. You don't need the two or three shot burst group: just safe, single shot, and full auto. Also, it's easier on the armorer without those extra parts for the burst control - though the real tricky trigger group is the PSG-1 - and that's another story).

Keeping all the bullets on a stationary target is easy and fun in the single shot mode (most shots with the smg are single shot anyway). We shot at varying distances and the greatest was 75 yards. Everyone's MP5 was hitting consistently at that distance.

Thanks for sharing your insights.

4V50

I'd have to agree with some of the others - with practice, it's easy to dump all 30 rounds on target at up to 75 feet. Of course I'm not hiding from return fire or anything, just doing the stationary thing at the range.

A much more difficult prospect is dumping an entire magazine from an HK53 on target at the same range! Haven't been able to do it yet.

danbrew :->

I really like the MP-5 SD, more so with
a fixed stock, it gets hot burning up up
40 rd. clips. The MP-5K is a little Buzz
saw,would like to try it with the
folding stock and detachable can just
for comparison. The big advantage with
the Colt 9mm is there are so many
surplus Uzi clips out there that can be
modified to work. I'm currious if anyone
has done a Colt 45ACP conversion using
Uzi clips and the barrel off one of the
45 conversion uppers in 45 acp.

I've shot the MP5 with both the fixed and collaspable stock. While I would prefer the collaspable (b/c it's cool), the fixed stock, being narrower is more comfortable to shoulder. It also allows you to bring the sight closer to your eye without canting your head as much.

In response to your inquiry Talove, Olympic Arms use to advertise (1997) a 9mm, 40S&W or 45 ACP conversion kit for their AR15. Haven't checked their website (check our links for AR15.com and you can link up to Olympic Arms from there) to see if its current.

Like I said about the Colt style smg, it works, but I hate the "boing" it makes when you shoot. The thought of Mighty Mattel comes to mind and I always break into a grin.

Just got Frank James' book, "Project 64: The MP5 Submachinegun Story." It seems to cover a lot of material which we were taught at the HK Armorers' School and at a SMG instructor school. Unfortunately, the author does not discuss development as much as I anticipated, (more on earlier prototypes would have been appreciated), the book will appeal to any MP5 fan and operator. While it isn't the final word on H&K firearms, check it out if you have a chance. (C'mon Collectors' Grade Publications, where's yer entry?)

According to conversations I have had with Dean Speir, Frank James had to cut a lot of material from his manuscript in order to get it published. His first publisher bailed on the project, and Charger Books (the eventual publisher) wavered several times. James had to fight tooth and nail just to keep the color photography.

Perhaps if this exised material is suitably interesting, James can take an enhanced volume to Collector Grade Publications like Larry Ruth did with 'War Baby 1 & 2'. Even a collaborative volume like their Thompson and Sterling SMG offerings would be welcome.

Our team uses the M-4 (select-fire, without 3 round burst) with Hornady TAP Urban ammo. We love the package. We do urban and rural work, and it suits our needs much better than a sub-caliber. And it was cheaper. We use 2-shot bursts on anything inside 10-15 yards and get reliable hits consistently. They are harder to shoot, but once you get used to it, there's no turning back. When I'm stomping around the woods on a man-hunt, doing marijuana eradication or doing long-term surveillance on a meth lab, having the .223 is quite a bit more comforting.

Back