The Handgun Sling

Loved Tamara's take on this:

Tamara said:
A learning-impaired tree sloth should be able to spot a number of glaring errors here. For instance, the handgun is carried right on the lumbar spine, which is practically an invitation to future hobbies like wheelchair basketball and getting to compete in 5k fun runs while sitting down.

Lots more funny where that came from. Worth the click.

pax

Speaking of the so called "Mexican Carry" method, (naked gun worn between shirt and pants) - with a proper fit, it could work quite well.
The first group of folks I got involved with for training mostly carried that way.
And no-one ever lost their pistols.
But they had the good sense not to be wearing loose fitting exercise pants with elastic waists, like the fellow who got in such hot water after letting his shooter get away from him and putting a bullet through his own leg in NYC.

Speaking of the so called "Mexican Carry" method, (naked gun worn between shirt and pants) - with a proper fit, it could work quite well.
not at all with todays safetyless pistols. Even with an external safety or maybe with the hammer down I wouldnt go any farther than "could" work at best only in an emergency and certainly never with a chambered safetyless pistol.

Most of those folks I mentioned carried 1911s, hot range, cocked and locked, of course, and mostly Mexican style.
Even a few Glocks.
And no-one ever had an "accident" in the five years I attended their sessions.

All that changed when I started going to the local NRA-AP and USPSA matches, though.
Cold range, required and approved holsters, and rule books!
Eghads.
But it was all too much fun to complain.

And to think of all the money I could have saved on high quality holsters...

(and perhaps spent at the local emergency room)

Thanks for the link Pax. Tamara pretty well nailed it there, along with JohnKSa here.

Dangerous. Check.
Can't safely carry a loaded/cocked weapon. Check.
Nothing covering trigger for obstructions or ND/AD issues. Check.
No significant retention for a fall, a struggle, or even running for cover. Check.
Small of back carry + slip and fall on back = spinal cord injury. Check.
Slow draw with extra steps and precautions. Check.
Exposed metal and gun parts to dirt, sweat, salt, dust, lint, etc. Check.
Draw too fast and flag yourself and/or have the barrel insert and cord along for the ride, tangling up your gun. Check.

IF anyone even buys this garbage, I suspect he'll drown in product liability suits as folks try to holster their loaded weapons and shoot themselves in the process.

Yeah, so many problems this was dead on arrival for an idea. This makes clip draw look fabulous.

Remember the grips with the built in groove for fitting over the pants belt and wearing the gun inside the pants, with no holster?
Is that still around?

g.willikers said:
Remember the grips with the built in groove for fitting over the pants belt and wearing the gun inside the pants, with no holster?
Is that still around?

The Barami Hip Grip. It was made for DA revolvers. Probably not an ideal way to carry a gun since there was zero retention and if you took a spill your gun would go wherever the laws of physics felt like flinging it, but at least there weren't many trigger safety issues with a DA J-frame.

g.willikers said:
Most of those folks I mentioned carried 1911s, hot range, cocked and locked, of course, and mostly Mexican style.
Even a few Glocks.
And no-one ever had an "accident" in the five years I attended their sessions.

Lord looks after idiots, I guess.

I do find it interesting that you think there's no middle ground between stuffing a live G-lock down your trousers sans holster and a cold range.

The hook on a pistol for slipping it under your belt was around when flintlocks were the most advanced technology. There were no belt holsters then.

Back