The Handgun Sling

https://homeguntraining.wordpress.com/2015/08/29/herp-derp-handgun-sling-herp-derp/

I thought this link might be interesting as fas as showing that not every product offered to gun owners is well thought-out or even especially safe. As a practical lesson, it pays to give some thought to a product before you buy it and think how it is going to work (or not work) for you. It is also a reminder that some manufacturers may have a substantially different opinion than the community at large on what constitutes safe gun handling.

I thought Tactics and Training would be a good forum to discuss this in as those who train frequently are likely to spot a few potential problems with this system.

Interesting and Clever

Once again, it comes down to a mater of trust and even though I personally think this is a clever idea, I don't know how far I would trust it. Going to have to give this one some thought. .. ;)

Be Safe !!!

JAHO, .... Right?

What a piece of garbage. You could make something like that yourself.
If it's a piece of garbage, why would you consider making this yourself? ... :)

Be Safe !!!

It took me about 15 minutes to make one,,,

It took me about 15 minutes to make one,,,
I have some small bungee cords.

It was very uncomfortable to me,,,
And the gun I used was a Ruger LC9.

It did work and held the gun nicely,,,
I just don't think I could wear it for long.

Aarond

That gizmo might be ok for carrying without a holster.
But is that ever the best idea?
Especially in the small of the back like in the video, where you could land on it if knocked down, doing serious damage to yourself and making it difficult to retrieve the gun.
Ditto for carrying it that way in the front - ouch. :o

Very interesting. Thanks for posting this and starting a new discussion.

I personally have a very low opinion of the device but I never would have even been aware of it if you hadn't posted.

Thanks again.

OK, it's novel, but I'd take a holster any day: the sling simply doesn't do anything that a holster doesn't do better. There is an additional step to drawing, the trigger is uncovered, the barrel obstructed and it give none of the support and contouring a holster does. Re-holstering would be near impossible one handed too. I imagine it is just cheaper... "Mexican" carry is just as safe and quicker to draw.

Good luck to the inventor but for me it is not an improvement just a plausible alternative for carry.

If it's a piece of garbage, why would you consider making this yourself? ...

I wouldn't want one myself. I'm meant that why would you buy it, when you could just make it yourself. You could probably use a shoestring.

Marginally clever to see how it works, but I think it's a solution in search of a problem.

I wouldn't use it. Looks uncomfortable, slow draw, can't keep the gun ready to fire unless you're an idiot, and most of all just looks... uncomfortable.

Hopefully everyone here shudders at the idea of holding a loaded gun behind his/her back and sticking something up the barrel by feel. How that can be done while still maintaining proper muzzle discipline is beyond my ken.

Also sort of scary having a gun stuffed down one's pants without the trigger guard covered by a proper holster. Even with a manual safety it's troublesome since many people automatically disengage a manual safety when they take a grip on the gun.

The video is an excellent example of why reverse grip (reaching the fingers of the strong hand between the body and the gun) SOB carry is generally considered unsafe. Note how the shooter sweeps his hips with the muzzle as he brings the gun from behind himself towards the front. With the normal grip (thumb goes between the body and the gun) the tendency is for the muzzle to point downward and never sweep the shooter's body.

I suppose the device could be used with a conventional grip instead of a reverse grip, but that doesn't solve the problem of no trigger protection and the obvious muzzle control issues inevitable while "holstering" the pistol.

Another consideration is that the device that's inserted in the barrel will come in contact with barrel fouling. Not an issue for normal carry, but if one wanted to practice shooting from the draw with this device, it, and everything that comes in contact with it will become contaminated. Unless using lead-free ammo, that means lead contamination. While we expect some lead contamination during normal shooting practice, it's not typical to get that sort of fouling down the back of your pants or on that part of your clothing. Normally it would be restricted to getting on your holster and even then it would only be contaminated with fouling from the outside of the gun, not from what's in the barrel.

It would also be 'interesting' to see what happens if the "holster" were to wear to the point that the barrel insert came off and stayed in the gun and the gun were fired with the obstruction.

I found it terribly ironic that the video ended with a disclaimer about the risks of violating firearm safety rules after demonstrably violating most or all of them.

johnksa said:
The video is an excellent example of why reverse grip (reaching the fingers of the strong hand between the body and the gun) SOB carry is generally considered unsafe.

Indeed. Notwithstanding other problems with tucking a pistol into the back of your trousers, increasing the risk of shooting oneself is no improvement.

I have on one occasion I recall put a pistol in the back waistband of my trousers. One anxiety I had was that the item would slip down and become hard or more dangerous to retrieve. I suppose this gizmo would alleviate some of that anxiety.

What really destroys any advantage this thing might present is the very thin plastic holsters that don't really add any width and are probably more comfortable than holsterless carry. If you were thinking far enough ahead to buy something, you would probably buy one of those.

The basic idea has been around for a long time.

I first saw it used in the late 50s and it was explained to me, by the LEO who had fashioned his from a shoestring, as a stopgap/temporary evolution of the "Mexican Carry" idea which has been around even longer.

W.

I bet Mexican carry would have never been invented if they had safetyless striker fired pistols back in those days, let alone with something shoved up the barrel.

Back