The "Gunshine State". Is any person here offended?

“The Gunshine State” is a slogan that began decades ago when Florida led the way in personal concealed carry. If someone wanted to be offended, you’re talking about a seriously old wound.

Please tell me Diamondback's advertising slogan image is the state of Florida with a trigger and trigger guard and a waft of smoke emanating from the panhandle.

I asked thinking some Florida residents might not like their home state to be branded "The Gunshine State".

The DB T shirts don't have any smoke or gun parts showing in the artwork. They show a Florida map with Gunshine State written on it.
The artwork shows a bunch of brass cartridges however. An image of it is attached.

My main concern is that the term "Gunshine State" is used by the antis and the media to paint Florida as "a bunch of gun-crazed crackers". What does this slogan do for the image of Florida in the eyes of the rest of the world?

Florida is very proud if its Concealed Weapon or Firearm License, such requirement violating the 2nd A. Yes, they want to collect revenues from people and use this as a stat to figure out how many people are probably carrying. Ideally as an armed society in public, we should not always know exactly who is carrying, when or where.

If somebody in a permit-less jurisdiction wants to know how many probably carry concealed an anonymous online survey could be conducted.

Example survey if Florida were to otherwise be permit-less:

1. Are you currently a Florida resident?
2. Do you ever carry a concealed handgun in public where it's not prohibited to do so?

Attachments

• gss.jpg
    gss.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
Personally, Gunshine State doesn't bother me as long as the antis don't use it to promote their gun control agenda. There are a number of "gun-shaped" states and all of these seem to be fairly to heavily pro-gun.

I'm not a Florida resident but I don't like to see anti-gun attitudes and anti-gun legislation develop on or from any part of American soil. Each and every jurisdiction on American soil should be made to strictly adhere to the federal Constitution otherwise the several states might as well be separate independent nations.

Last edited:
Such delicate people should not ever read a gun owners board.

If that type makes the personal decision to do so, then they should conclude (if capable of critical thinking...) that it's better to sit on a beach, and sing Kum-Baya, to convince thugs to suddenly begin training for an actual career.

As Carl reminded us, so many people are offended by the American flag,

...which symbolizes a country (among others) whose soldier's lives, plus merchant seamen etc, and vast resources were sacrificed to help rid the world of Actual Fascism, and which helped bankrupt Soviet Leftist Fascism.

I am another Floridian and we like our Gunshine State. I'd take that moniker over anything Disney related as a state nickname

The official slogan on license plates and such is "Sunshine State." It's obviously just a play on that. As others have said, Florida was pretty early in the adoption of shall-issue concealed weapons permits. Overall, we were pretty firearm friendly for a long time; others have passed us in recent years, but restrictions haven't increased any at least.

Actually they have; after some recent shootings there is now a 3 day wait on ALL guns, long guns included if you do not have a CWFL.

Back