The Glock 18

P99AS9

Are the Glock 18 FA pistols still being made? Are any availiable in the civilion market? Do any known LE agencies or militaries actually use them?

Are the Glock 18 FA pistols still being made? Are any availiable in the civilion market? Do any known LE agencies or militaries actually use them?

Sorry but I'm going to have to call a foul on your choice of forum. Should have been posted in NFA Guns. I'm sure the mods will handle that.

To answer your questions:

Yes, Glock is still making the G18. However they are not available in the civilian market. Glock will only sell the G18 to LE agencies or Militaries. I'm not sure what agencies have them. It was originally developed at the request of the Austrian counter-terrorist unit EKO Cobra. Who knows if they still carry them. I was told a couple names last time I took the armorers course, but honestly don't remember.

Last edited:
Yes a current production item. Available in the US to Governent/LE Agencies and Nuclear security just like all new production machineguns.

Glock 18s where not un the US in time to meet the cutoff to be owned by non LE/Govment agencies.

There are other machine pistols available that were made before 1986 which was the manuf. cutoff.

They are not uncommen in the smaller more rural areas where backup response is not so quick and the officer is on his own. Yet has other things to carry in his trunk than a full SWAT load of gear. For the smaller dept. with a smaller budget the officer can have the same fire as a submachinegun in his std. duty sidearm for the same cost as a std. duty sidearm.

I can not really speak for the large metropolis since I am not there, but that is how it is here.

Definetly an interesting piece that would help me burn a lot of cash in a small amount of time. Semi-auto for me, for now!!!

If you an FFL/SOT class 7, you can make the select fire part yourself and register it on a form 2. After that, it can only be sold to an FFL/SOT with an LE letter or LE.

They are still being made. I am up on which agency might be using them.

However, they are very good to have a combat side arm.

They are not uncommen in the smaller more rural areas where backup response is not so quick and the officer is on his own. Yet has other things to carry in his trunk than a full SWAT load of gear. For the smaller dept. with a smaller budget the officer can have the same fire as a submachinegun in his std. duty sidearm for the same cost as a std. duty sidearm.

True. The Chief of Police in my town has one. I think it's more of a "because I can" thing than out of any need.

Ruthless, in the video the machine pistol has a detachable front grip.

When that guy fires the last burst the front grip comes off and his left hand gets in front of the muzzle.

The Rage said:
If you an FFL/SOT class 7, you can make the select fire part yourself and register it on a form 2. After that, it can only be sold to an FFL/SOT with an LE letter or LE.

I used to work at a type 07 FFL/class 3 SOT. We had a couple LE demo FA Glock switches we'd built. We kept one on a Glock 20.

You want to lean into it when you're shooting a full-auto 10mm pistol, let me tell you... :eek:

Even on the 17, I could never get off the trigger in less than three rounds.

Glock select fire

I shot one of our Glock 17CS select fire guns yesterday. It doesn't climb that much compared to a Mac-10 .45. I can control 3-4 round bursts but it would be tough to keep it to 2-3. I think the elusiveness of the gun itself makes a lot of people attempt to own one or at least see one shoot in person. If you can, go out and shoot an SMG M-11, Mac-10 or UZI, its fairly close and they have a faster ROF. If anyone of you guys are in Arizona, more specifically the East valley, give me a bit of notice and I can bring one out to the range.

Attachments

• glock 17CS.jpg
    glock 17CS.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 96
Ramsey County Sheriffs Dept has one, but the armorer admitted he doesn't use it for much besides training (he said he would use it as a distraction device in an adjacent lane during live fire quals-pretty expensive training tool).

I remember reading they were designed as a weapon for protection details to provide a high volume of fire if/when operators were trying to break out of an ambush, but I can see it would be effective for the same thing for an LEO in a situation where backup is a long way off.

That video convinced me that a machine handgun pistol is totally useless. Given the choice, from a defensive position (not just for kicks and giggles), I'd take a 10mm with 15 rounds over that Glock 18 anyday.

Tamara, was it controllable?

I'm not Tamara, but a G18 was fired by a couple of the indoor range personel here in Reno, a number of years back, and both agreed that it was "almost controllable".

I hope that guy isnt a LEO. That wasnt smart.
however, it is a dumbass doing the shooting.
Look more closely.

At the end of the video there's a black object lying on the floor. That's the forward grip that was formerly attached to the Glock.

It came off during the last string of fire and when it did the shooter's hand was left holding the grip while the gun recoiled backwards.

It appears to be more of an equipment failure than a shooter error.

I have fired a Glock 18 at Midwest Gun Exchange. I was amazed at how controlable it really was after all I had read. It was nothing to keep 30 rounds in a 18" group at 10 yards. I really enjoyed that pistol.

Back