The genius of John Moses Browning.

madmo44mag said:
I may be wrong but I would bet more people owe their life to JMB than to any other man in history.

For weapon design, I'd give that credit to J. Robert Oppenheimer.

But in truth, the award would probably have to be presented to whoever found the cure for typhoid fever, polio, or one of the many other diseases we don't worry much about today.

I believe you are correct and it was Edison who is credited with it. My bad.

Genius is one percent inspiration, ninety-nine percent perspiration.
Spoken statement (c. 1903); published in Harper's Monthly (September 1932).
Variants:
None of my inventions came by accident. I see a worthwhile need to be met and I make trial after trial until it comes. What it boils down to is one per cent inspiration and ninety-nine per cent perspiration.
Statement in a press conference (1929), as quoted in Uncommon Friends: Life with Thomas Edison, Henry Ford, Harvey Firestone, Alexis Carrel & Charles Lindbergh (1987) by James D. Newton, p. 24.
Variant forms without early citation: "Genius is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine per cent perspiration. Accordingly, a 'genius' is often merely a talented person who has done all of his or her homework."
"Genius: one percent inspiration and 99 percent perspiration."
I never did anything worth doing by accident, nor did any of my inventions come indirectly through accident, except the phonograph. No, when I have, fully decided that a result is worth getting, I go about it, and make trial after trial, until it comes.
Quoted by Theodore Dreiser in A Photographic Talk with Edison, Success magazine (February 1898).

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Thomas_Edison

Back