The Four Rules - Which 'rules'?

Ok. I'm a newbie, but I'll weigh in.

I think the Four Rules can be summarized as follows: Don't hurt anybody. The real rules exist to help people keep from hurting themselves or anyone else.

As such, if you're teaching your little kid how to handle a firearm, the thing to emphasize is that you're not making them follow these rules to be bossy. You're making them follow the rules so that they won't get hurt, and so they won't hurt anyone else.

I mean, come on! When it comes to handling firearms, there are MANY more rules than just the Four, and each rule is equally important. (My soon-to-be father-in-law recently taught me not to stick your thumb in the chamber of an M-1 rifle. That's a good rule to know!) The important thing is to know the rules, and to know why the rules are in place. Don't get hurt.

Ask her

To make a "teachable moment" out of it and to find out what her understanding is, turn it around and have her tell you which is most important.
Good luck.

I always make sure to impress on new students that the four rules are what stands between them and a life changed for the worse, and by keeping them, disaster can be averted. Observe all four of them and nothing bad will happen. Accidentally miss one and keep three others, and they will save you. Skip two and you're looking at serious risk. Skip three and someone could get injured. Skip four and someone will die.

Back