The Forest PrimEVIL...

From the stand-point of weight to utility ratio, an extra box of slugs, well-hidden, would be a must. I, for one, would hate to go out with only small-shot on me (just packed my bag for going trap shooting: added six slugs and a dozen #3 buck just in case). I hate "purely sporting" firearms.

A handgun makes much sense if caught away from your shoulder arm: a J-frame or a compact 9 with a reload isn't too much of a burden, eh?

I always carry a sidearm as well. Yup, always, when hunting w/ shoulder arm.

Now, it IS possible I would be w/ .22 target pistol and svc caliber pistol. In which case, I would hide (which I do well) until they were in favorable range. Alternatively, could fire to hold them down from long range, and hightail it.

Folks, you're outnumbered, out gunned, and they know the territory better. A J Frame or a 467 Loudenboomer Mag is not going to alter the odds significantly.

Much as I like handguns and mo' ammo,IMO here the weight factor would be better devoted to a cell phone, topo map,etc.BTW, I usually have a compass aboard when hunting, even in places I know well.

And with those odds, shootings what happens when E&E fails....

I would run like crazy. Head for the thickest pile of thorns and and vines, shoot at them occasionaly, even if they are out of range, they won't know that, force them to use cover. If possible hide, set up an ambush if the cover was too thick to run.

I hate to use this analogy because it is not very reflective of reality, but it would kind of be like when you are playing paintball and you snag the other teams flag. You are outnumbered, outgunned, and they want to shoot you. Best bet run.

But I'm 24, and can run. If I was older, or disabled, or just plain unable to run, I would probably just go for cover, hide if possible, and start shooting.

1. Fire one of your ****ty shells...not to kill anybody but to put them on notice that you are armed and willing to fight back.

2. Place the buckshot loads in the chamber so that they will fire first, before the birdshot. Buckshot is good out to about 50 yds. and birdshot is good out to maybe 20-25 yards.

3. HOLD your fire and try to slip away in the confusion. Make sure you ditch any glo-color clothingh or any other bright clothing for that matter. Stick some small branches in your shirt, front and back and try to steal away.

4. If they come upon you, kill them. DO NOT SHOOT TO WOUND....no leg shots. Also, they may be wearing body armor so shoot high to get some pellets into the neck and head regiion.

5. If all else fails, fight for your life. Take theirs without hesitation. If you are going to die, take as many of the bastards with you as you can.

6. You will find that they are cowards. And if you stand up to them and shoot back, you are probably more likely to get away with your life.

The best thing I've added to my constant gear load (since my Glock .40) is my Motorola radio. My partner who I'm rarely without whether or not it's always the same person, carries my extra radio. Last deer season, the radios were invaluable for getting aid down canyon where I had a buck down and needed frame pack, water etc. Cell phones are usually unreliable at best where I spend my outdoors time. We have a code of clicks on the radio so as not to mess up a shot on the other end, and I know the fastest way to get my partner on the radio is to take a shot or two...These radios are good for up to 5 miles! on flat ground, and are pretty good in the canyons of California and Colorado...

------------------
Treason doth never prosper. What's the reason? For if it doth prosper, none dare call it treason." - John Barrington

Now I'm in my mid 50's and partially disabled.(Below knee amputee) Running for me would be rather difficult. One thing that no one seemed to mention is using your head. I would find cover first and then warn them that I was armed but that I wasn't looking for trouble. I'd tell them that I didn't care about there grass. I would tell them that I was hunting small game and that I accidentally happened on their patch. I'd toss some game out for them to see. ( I would immediately change location if possible.)I would try to talk my way out first. If that failed then I would hide till night and try to sneak out. And if that failed I would make a stand. But I think that as long as they thought I was no threat to there crop that they might just let me go. Just a thought.

Minnesota law prohibits anyone in the woods from carrying anything in larger than four shot (I believe) for the shotgun and no centerfire one week prior to and until the end of deer season unless the individual possesses a large game licence. My permit specifically states "not valid while hunting or trapping." (Strange restriction?)

When I walk in the woods during deer season my shotgun (three 00 buck and two slugs on the buttstock) and sidearm are for protection and not hunting.

Back