The fallacy of one belt

I must confess that I have a little extra around the middle but I like to think of it as tactical flab as it helps conceal a handgun when carrying AIWB. I've lost some tactical flab lately and it's a little more difficult to conceal a g26 but I do feel better.

The gunbelt/holster in that pic is an Arvo Ojala rig- standard for Hollywood in the sixties.
How would a rubber knife cut through sheath stitching?

When I jogged with a pistol, I used a canvas version of this holster with the strap running over the right shoulder.

Glad to see someone else thinks about these issues in the context of working-out and staying fit.

Since it didn't rely on tension around the waist, there were no sagging issues and it was reasonably comfortable.

Folks who don't workout often have severe "sagging issues," not to mention they don't jog, lift, or otherwise workout. :rolleyes:

Glad to see someone else thinks about these issues in the context of working-out and staying fit.

It wasn't the product of much thought; that may have just been what I had then.

But if you observe womens' purses, they carry more weight on one shoulder than anyone would carry in a fanny-pack.

FWIW, I sometimes think holsters/belts are designed by folks who never carry a gun. Too many look (and feel) like they were made to tote a 155mm Howitzer, while others are about as sturdy as the undergarments featured in Victoria's Secret Like Vicky's undies, they are made to look good, not work well. For a long time, when out of uniform I simply carried a Model 36 in a Federal Man holster on a wide belt. For greater concealment when necessary, I carried an inside the belt holster. I saw no need for super concealment, but I did use an ankle holster once in a while.

Jim

Avoid Gucci-wear holsters. They emphasize bling more .... and practical utility less.

Whether Melania Trump would wear it for a Victoria's Secrets show is irrelevant. :eek: I know, it's a shock.

The purpose of a practical EDC holster is to get your gun into action in the "gravest extreme" of bad stuff, not look good in the mirror or necessarily be the most comfortable thing you wear all day.

Ultimately, a good holster and belt combination work together ... And together they facilitate your ability to access your weapon, if needed, to put some thug a-hole face-down on the concrete.

I live in Canada, so continuous carry is off the table, but when I go to the range I do have to do a bit of walking around - The firing point is 100m away from the nearest bench, so I'm constantly carrying my firearm in a holster on my hip. In the interests of not looking like I'm doing a strip-show when I put the holster on/take it off, I think I'm going to go with the second belt solution.

If I were going to carry a gun all day, though, I think comfort of the holster-bearing belt would be paramount. The less comfortable it is, the more likely I'd be to leave the gun at home...

I live in Canada, * * * but when I go to the range I do have to do a bit of walking around - The firing point is 100m away from the nearest bench, so I'm constantly carrying my firearm in a holster on my hip.* * *

So you're saying you shoot pistols at targets 100m away? That's some awesome marksmanship if you can hit anything. :eek:

If I were going to carry a gun all day, though, I think comfort of the holster-bearing belt would be paramount. The less comfortable it is, the more likely I'd be to leave the gun at home...

This is the psychological approach of most the cops in my area of the U.S.

Comfort is paramount. If they thought the Police Chief wouldn't fire their asses, most would leave their duty pistols in a dresser drawer at home, and just use the 12ga shotgun in the squad car, as and when on-duty calls or situations dictate.

Last edited:
The firing point is 100m away from the nearest bench

So you're saying you shoot pistols at targets 100m away?

I took it to mean that he has to walk 100 m from the nearest bench or table to the point from which he fires. Sounds like an odd layout even by my interpretation. Perhaps pathdoc will clarify.

How many law enforcement officers are using just one belt?
My understanding is almost all patrol officers use an inner nylon belt with a rigid reinforcement that does the supporting, then attach an outer belt with keepers that is also reinforced.

Do most "civilian" CCW carriers realize this?

Back