The fabulous 6.5X55

On the 7.5 Swiss Savage I built I opened up the bolt face enough to accommodate that non spec rim (bigger than 30-06 rim, not as big as belted magnum)

No big deal. Dremel tool and 5 minute of work.

Mete only god knows how many moose were taken with surplus fmj ammo :o

Oldtimers said it was common to pull the bullet and insert it backwards to! To create an open lead deforming bullet...

There are still Oldtimers who shoot the surplus stuff for yearly qualifying. Alotta hangfires and duds [shakinghead emoji]

From what I know the army has used 762 since the 60s!

Plenty of hunters are going back to 6,5 thou

When the pigs exploded everybody "upgraded" to something else

But fast and flatshooting is great for driven hunts. Longer barrels are good for your swing

Less recoil is good etc etc

Even as a dog guy and getting pretty close to my pigs and hopefully bear I wouldn't hesitate
But my 6,5 is my pretty Sunshine rifle :p
Dont wanna trudge thru mud and branches with that ;)

The 358win BLR is made for that

6.5x55 fabulous? I guess now that there are good powders for it sure. But it’s not very efficient compared to 6.5 Creed, .260, etc. and they are short action...Can get same/similar results as 6.5x55 using the good ole .260 and even the same performance or better with more efficient powder use using the Creed. Many more guns available in .260 and Creed compared to 6.5x55. I would pick 6.5 Creedover the 6.5x55 if given a choice between the two, but I also wouldn’t turn my nose up at 6.5x55 either.

The 6.5 Swede is an excellent round. I think that 6.5 Creedmoor fans of that round mostly because it has a cool name, otherwise the 260 Rem would be in vogue.

6.5 Creed is the .260 done right, that’s why people are fans of it, not because of the name. 6.5 Creed addressed all the shortcomings of the .260 and proved that with those issues solved it’s a much better .264” shooter.

The CM had a ton of $ spent on marketing. Most of the people shooting it probably think it’s the first 6.5 ever made a Lol. The Swede, Saum, .260, and PRC all smoke it.

Ledslinger the 6.5×55 is the old stand fast, but the reason the Creedmoor was developed was for low recoil and barrel life, while not as good as Swede it recoils less and maitains energy after 600 that rivals .30 cartridges.
The PRC is interesting to me because of local roots, George Gardner of GAP helped design that cartridge for shooting 140's to 3150 and no faster, which is a rule in some of these matches.
I have a Creedmoor, but it does nothing better than any Swede, but it's easy to load for, and it's accuracy is superb.

Some years ago, one Saturday morning I looked over a USRAC, Winchester M70 stainless, walnut stocked 6.5X55 while perusing the tables at a gun show. By the next morning, I had convinced myself that I needed it. Went back and the seller wasn't there. I still don't have a 6.5X55...:(

Nice rifle, good groups!

I'm not surprised the Creed came up. Mention 505 Gibbs, and someone will compare it to the Creed. :rolleyes:

Simularities. Mild recoil, with good high BC bullet choices.
Otherwise your comparing an 1890's military round to a made for competition round.
I've seen simular groups with my 257 Roberts and 250 Savage. Others with 6mm Rem, 7mm-08 and 308.

Back