The fabulous 6.5X55

JRR

I have this 1941 Turk 98 Mauser. Massaged by Gun Smith Tim Malcolm at Malcolm Ballistic Tools in Arkansas.

Trued and reworked receiver, Krieger barrel, Jard trigger, Farrell base and rings, SWFA 20x scope and fully bedded. Beautiful high polish blueing on receiver.

Over 1700 rounds fired. 5 shot groups @ 100 yrds

i5dx89.jpg

ae61rp.jpg

No pics of the rifle?

I have to confess that I've never paid any attention to the 6.5's until the Creedmoor came out. Now when I look at the 6.5X55 and 7X57, (two of the 1st smokeless powder cartridges) I'm just amazed that they got it right the 1st time. There isn't anything short of dangerous game that couldn't be hunted with those.

I think the 6.5 Creedmore, 260 Rem and the 6.5X47 are cartriges primarily designed to approximate the ballistics of the 6.5x55 in a short action. The X55 needs an intermediate or long action. The Mauser 98 was designed for the 57mm cartriges. The 30/06 the 63mm length. 6.5 Creed and 308 the 51 mm length.

be6hbk.jpg

15yy8vk.jpg

Wow! That is something to be proud of. I recently bought a Tikka in 6.5x55, stainless, fluted barrel. Shoots like a dream. Congrats on your rifle!

The only thing amiss with the 6.5x55 Swede cartridge is the head size. Were it the same head size as the [most anything]x57mm (rimless) Mauser family - which is the same as the .30-06/.308 Win/.45 Awfulmatic - it would be perfect. At least, easier to rebarrel those actions. It isn't. It is just a bit bigger.

I think with proper barrels - faster twists - the .260 Remington would be just dandy. However, the 6.5x55 beats all the 'new' 6.5mm cartridge in the use of heavy bullets. The 160 grain bullet is the one which allows that 'little' round to kill elk and moose.

Did I mention the 6.5x55 was adopted by the Swedish army in 1894?

Let us not forget that Walter Bell killed over three hundred elephants with a 6.5 Mannlicher -Schonauer rifle. Using 160 grain FMJ bullets. (Do not try this at home.)

Ditto the 7.5 Swiss. It was a Short Magnum before there was such a creature.

Shame it is not more widespread though some spark with the K-31 imports

Nice shooting!

I have to confess that I've never paid any attention to the 6.5's until the Creedmoor came out. Now when I look at the 6.5X55 and 7X57, (two of the 1st smokeless powder cartridges) I'm just amazed that they got it right the 1st time. There isn't anything short of dangerous game that couldn't be hunted with those.

Although Mr. Bell used the 7x57 to kill a lot of elephants..... ;)

I'm a Mauser fan. The main issue I have with them is their rather stiff bolt lift. On the rifle above, I welded on a over length bolt handle for more leverage. The 6.5x55 will fit nicely on any M98 bolt, however some Remington or Savage rifles might have to have their bolt faces opened up slightly.

Here is a 24/47 Serbian Mauser that I converted into a "scout" type. It's an 8mm and I load cast bullets for it. 225gr. cast spire points at 1800 fps.
Thanks for all the nice comments.
1zxtc87.jpg

Finn Aagaard called the 6.5x55 the perfect deer rifle! I agree.
Mine is a custom M98 and it easily gets 2750 with no pressure signs with a 140 gr bullet with great accuracy !

Bought an Tikka Hunter, actually two of them, in 6.5x55 SE back in 2009.

Wish I would have done so sooner. They are that good.

I own and shoot six 6.5x55 Swedish army rifles and three .260 rem,s and civilian two 6.5x55,s, a cz 550 and rem classic. they are very easy to shoot rifles.

No pics of the rifle?

This is so true.

Do not forget the 160 grain bullets in 6.5. (used by Bell prior to 7x57)

My 6.5x55 doesn't shoot as well as the OP's but does shoot well, righ at 1" at 100yds. Mod 70 Feather Weight heaviest bullet's I've tried are 140gr.

Re Mete

Well Yeah, 6,5x55 has killed more moose than any other calibre in the world (more moose are hunted in Sweden/norway than any other place in the world.

I just started shooting my new 6,5x55 barrel
First shot a couple of old boxes of some random brand, didn't do a real break-in as i haven't seen it do that much

Wasnt super satisfied, was shooting 1,5Moa or so

Did a ladder with a fmj lapua bullet. 0,4 steps 6 steps 4 shotgroups
But that was useless as all was to the same poi and all were sub 0,5Moa (@ 80m)

Hunting load same poi even with a heavier bullet

HUSQVARNA, I understood that Swedish requirements are to use heavier bullets for moose . My use has been for American White Tailed Deer and some Young Red Deer for culling.
I once asked some Swedes if a premium 140 grain would perform as well as the standard 156 and they said yes but the law requires the heavier bullet. :)

Back