The Dangers of Traffic Stops for Concealed Carriers - Minnesota Incident

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're in Northern Ireland correct? Not seeing how this relates as I do not believe you are allowed access to pistols much less CC or car carry (or inversely as police dealing with such or more importantly the average machine gun toting cartel member). Its a different environment.

I have 4 handguns and thousands of civilians carry handguns civilians for self defence in this part of the UK. And as i have posted the police have every reason to be wary when approaching cars etc all police cars have to be armoured.

Northern Ireland has been the most dangerous place in the world to be a police officer.

According to Interpol figures, the risk factor in 1983 was twice as high as in El Salvador, the second most dangerous.

Attachments

• _86906042_shootinghamilton.jpg
    _86906042_shootinghamilton.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 76
  • Bomb1.jpg
    Bomb1.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
This may be partly hijacking the thread, but why would a person who is carrying legally not go ahead and inform the officer that he was? I realize in some states you do not have to inform, In Arkansas you do. but even if I do not have to I would tell the officer I am carrying. Is there any good reason you should not inform the officer even if you do not legally have to?

David

I think it's a good idea to inform an officer you don't personally know that you are carrying regardless of any legal requirement. I also think that some officers might issue confusing or contradictory commands. While I will obey any lawful command from an officer, I think it's ok to ask for clarification.

Officer: May I see your ID?
Me without moving my hands from the wheel: Yes. I need to tell you that I have a concealed carry permit and I am carrying a firearm. How would you like to proceed?

I will have my wallet in my hand well before he ever comes to my window. I am not going to reach for anything during a traffic stop.

For anyone who has friends who are police officers, ASK THEM how they and their fellow officers prefer you to behave when you get pulled over.

Having a LEO as a father, his advice (from decades ago) was to get out of the car, walk to the rear fender, and stand quietly with your hands where the officer can see them; especially if you are the only one in the car.

This may be partly hijacking the thread, but why would a person who is carrying legally not go ahead and inform the officer that he was?

Are you a bad guy going to shoot a cop? Why then introduce an extra fear for the cop when it is totally unnecessary?

As a person with three relatives as peace officers and concerned about THEIR safety, those not cut out for the job need to be proactively and aggressively purged.

This shooting will not help matters.

Its been a lot of years since I was stopped but I think if I noticed an officer approaching the car with the gun drawn I would deem it in everyone's best interest to end that traffic stop and leave (while calling 911 to report the situation). Am I drastically out of line on that issue?

I am not a police officer. I do know several well. If a cop has his gun drawn while approaching my car for a traffic stop, I know that he thinks I am a serious threat. I am not, but that is not important in that moment. The last thing in the world to do in this spot is to try to drive away. He then concludeds that as a sworn officer he has a duty to stop a fleeing felon. I am not, but again in that moment, it does not matter. I would be polite and do exactly as told. I would not move a finger until told to do so, at which point I would inform him that I have a CCL and am carrying a pistol AIWB and wait for instructions. There will be plenty of time to take legal action if necessary, after the dust has cleared.

We would not accept that type of behaviour by the police here, if that was the way things were it would be changed.

With all due respect, that sort of simple self-righteous comment really isn't appreciated. There are many here who would use the UK or Europe as an example of how we should be governed. Most of us on this board would strongly disagree. Yes, we have some problems that need attention, just like everywhere else in the world...

Having a LEO as a father, his advice (from decades ago) was to get out of the car, walk to the rear fender, and stand quietly with your hands where the officer can see them
That pretty much went by the wayside in the 1990s. They prefer you remain in the car now.

Why then introduce an extra fear for the cop when it is totally unnecessary?
In a normal interaction, most LEO's appreciate being told, so long as it's done in a manner that's not intimidating.

(There's a difference between "I have a gun" and "I have a holstered pistol on my right hip and I'm licensed to carry.")

That said, there are several factors in this incident that were anything but normal.

According to this link, which quotes the girlfriend, the dead man said he had a firearm on him, but did not say he was licensed to carry. The girlfriend then yelled that he was licensed to carry. Maybe things would have turned out differently if he had started by saying he was licensed to carry, and then said he had a firearm. It might have also helped if the girlfriend had not felt that she needed to yell.
http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slat...ives_press_conference_on_wednesday_night.html

Tom Servo said:
Two concerns spring to mind. The first is that we don't know the full situation. We have the video of the aftermath, but we don't know what led to the shooting. We only have the word of the passenger, who may not be telling the whole or correct story....

And the first concern is enough to make any meaningful discussion of the incident impossible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back