The Combat Mindset: Lessons learned From a Recent Sort of Real Home Defense Situation

I don't know if it is possible to do, but if it IS possible, I would make sure your son's bedroom is not all the way across the house for a multitude of reasons, this being one of them. I can get to my boys immediately if i need to, and they can get to me immediately if they need to. No house clearing involved. We also have an American Bulldog and a new half grown Staffordshire Terrier. Both have good ears.

I had a similar experience, awaken in the midsts of a deep sleep, daughter and friend came running into the bedroom in a panic saying someone was trying to get in the house. At the time I had a Bersa Thunder .380 as my HD/CCW gun and funny, the first thing that went through my mind was, I need a bigger gun with more bullets.
The noise they thought was a door knob being jiggled was the motor for the ice maker stuck on, moving the ice cubes around, it really did sound like someone was jiggling a door knob.

I did sell that little Bersa and have since slept soundly with a fully loaded Glock 21 on my night stand.

Scary, but the best training you can get to expose your weaknesses and areas requiring improvement.

BTW, what handgun did you grab and what was it loaded with?

I grabbed a Smith & Wesson M&P 9mm loaded with 18 (17+1) rounds of Speer Gold Dot 124 grain JHP +P.

I've only recently (less than three years) been using that platform, but I've fallen in love with it. I used to carry a Springfield XD .45, but shooting 300 rounds of .45 ACP every week got too expensive. I needed something it didn't cost so much to feed, and I got a good deal on the M&P, and I've never shot better with any other pistol I've ever owned. It's the most naturally presenting and pointing pistol I've found. When I draw, it seems to leap into my hand. I'd give up my dog before I gave up my M&P.

Expanding on an adage of Confederate General Thomas 'Stonewall' Jackson in regard to taking counsel of one's fears, General George Patton is reputed to have said, “The time to take counsel of your fears is before you make an important battle decision. That's the time to listen to every fear you can imagine! When you have collected all the facts and fears and made your decision, turn off all your fears and go ahead!”

Acting on FEAR and not knowledge is one of the things that gets armed citizens in trouble a good bit of the time. It's your home, your environment, if there is any place on the face of the earth where there should not be any need to feel FEAR, your home is that place.

What you need to do is figure out some good ways to replace FEAR with knowledge. You need to find some better ways to "collect facts" before you go charging off to do battle with an unseen and unknown foe.

First thing is establishing one new habit for you and/or your wife- each night EVERY night before going to bed, CHECK THE DOORS (and any windows that might have been opened during the day) to make sure they are closed and locked. Don't close your eyes until you KNOW the doors are all closed and locked. And re-emphasize the lesson to Dear Son - DO NOT open exterior doors, ever, without you or your wife knowing he's doing it, and who's on the other side.

I would suggest you consider taking the NRA's Personal Protection In The Home class, if it's available near you. Take your wife to the class too. See http://www.nrainstructors.org/searchcourse.aspx for a locator tool. Failing that, get a copy of the textbook at http://materials.nrahq.org/go/product.aspx?productid=ES 26828 , and/or the DVD of the classroom portion of the course at http://materials.nrahq.org/go/product.aspx?productid=ES 26840 .

Formulate a better plan for dealing with odd noises -or worse- in your home. The class above will help a lot in that regard. Details are up to you but now you at least have a basis to build on.

Get a dog that is NOT worthless as a watchdog. Doesn't have to be a $15,000 Schutzen-trained Malinois, but you need a dog that will at least warn you if something odd is going on near or inside your home.

Some kind of alarm system is mandatory. Doesn't have to be a professionally installed hardwired monitored system, a $100 no-fee X-10 DIY jobbie can work for you IF you'll use it. http://www.x10.com/promotions/ds7000_19piece_hmp.html?feat6 is one source, shop around. I'd avoid motion detectors and just use magnetic reed switches on doors or windows, they're more reliable IMHO.

There's more but this is a start... hope it helps,

lpl

A learning situation and very ggod outcome here!

When my daughters were young I made sure that I had to get and cover some distance before handling a firearm.

Additionally, I had the little neon nite light put in darl corners to illuminate not depending a ambient sources.

LIkely the son got scared with the lightning and decide to sneak-in to a secure place {Mon/Dad]

and my son's room is on the other end of the house.

That's a difficult situation. My daughter's room is right next to ours (and it's going to stay that way until she's 25:D) - very easy to check. But, wouldn't your first thought tend to be that your son was making the noise? I would be a lot more reserved clearing my house if I had a split-plan like that with someone living on the other end of the house.

This is one reason I never could understand the house feature of having the "master suite" on the opposite end of the house from the kids' rooms. Sure you want privacy at times but I'd rather be close to my kids in case they get sick or an instance like this. In my house, 3 steps from the bed put all my dependants behind me leaving anyone else within a clear firing area. My bedroom also dominated the normal approach to the primary door by overlooking the deck and driveway both of which were lighted by a dusk to dawn light.
Change the angles of the doors so the blind spots are eliminated and put a bell on the door and/or boy.

I think the split-plan house, or houses with master suites on the 1st floor and kids rooms on the 2nd floor are the worst things ever designed. If you want to know what your kids are up to and make an effort to be a part of their lives, part of that is not being detached from, but living together with your children.

On another note, if someone were to break into my house, they would be sliding, and opening multiple doors before they could get to the bedrooms where we sleep, unless they break through the outside doors going directly to our beedroom. I, or the dog, would here them long before they could ever reach the back bedrooms. It's easy to isolate where the night "noise" is coming from, and thus pretty easy to clear.

Lots of good suggestions listed already.

Your wife needs to be part of the solution ... you need to wake her up and work together as a team; you need a plan that you've already discussed. In my opinion (and I'm trying not to "Tuesday morning quarterback"), the first focus would be to quickly get to the kids room and secure him. I wouldn't even clear the house in the normal fashion ... just safely and quickly get to your kid's room. Was a cell phone in your pocket? Once you've got the kid, call the cops and wait.

Anyway, these are scary situations and I'm glad it turned out ok. Use it as a learning opportunity and move forward. Thanks for sharing.

A lot of people come on very sternly with "well FIRST check on the kid" so I feel I must reiterate that THE ENTIRE HOUSE is between my room and his room. My home is a single level open floor plan with the bedrooms and bathrooms off of the main section. Getting to him prior to clearing the house is not an option unless I want to blindly trip over the BG.

A lot of your problem would have been solved by the maxim to positively identify the suspect before opening fire. If you feel that places you in potential danger, well, that's simply the way it has to work to avoid unwanted shootings. Luckily, you played it right.

+1 on waking up the wife. If nothing else, she can call 911 if there really is someone in the house. Even if he defeats you, she's awake and alert (hopefully).

No kids here, but I used to have multiple cats. Strategically placed night lights will help illuminate the darker parts of the house. Stick one in a bathroom and it'll help light a hallway. One in a dark living room will give you plenty of light to see shadows or silhouettes. On sliding glass doors, put a thin strip of reflective tape on the glass (to show it's closed). A quick flick of the light will tell you if the door is closed, even if the screen is closed. My lesson was learned after thoroughly cleaning the glass door one day and that night hearing an odd noise and not being able to see if the door was open or not from the hallway. :o

Look for remote lighting switches. There are various sorts. A friend has a 2-story place and part of the upper hallway can look down to the living room. A button is pressed and two lights come on downstairs, giving him a commanding view.

From what I can tell, you did most things right. Not waking the wife and finding the door open should have told you to retreat and wake her for help.

Do practice what you both will do in such an event. Can you even traverse the house to protect your son? If not, can you reach around a corner and flip on a light that doesn't give you away completely? What have you told your son to do if he hears gunfire at O-dark-thirty in the morning?

Luckily, she called my wife instead of the police, and gave us a chance to explain what had happened!

Man that would have sucked worse than you may imagine, could maybe a domestic violence charge and we all know what that means.

Be safe, be careful, hug that boy a lot :)

Heck of a hariy tale, Brasscatcher
Glad to hear everything turned out alright. I'm sure you'll laugh at that story in the future.

Take the comments of the "monday morning quarterbacks" with a grain of salt. We all know better after the sun comes up. You learned form the situation, and by sharing the story you have helped all of us learn form it too.

Thanks for the post.:cool:

Well, I guess I can suggest cats for one home defense solution, ever wake up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom or get a drink and the cat walks between your feet nearly sending you head over heels?
If they'd do the same thing to an intruder in your house sneaking around trying to be quiet, I think it'd work pretty good.

Training most any dog, even a lab to be on alert at night is not a hard thing to do. May take some time but well worth it.

A friend of mine(old neighbor) has three black labs and I guarantee you won't get in that house at night without them waking someone up. They are NOT trained killers by a long shot and may not even bite someone if they got into the house, but he's taught them to bark if they hear something during the night. I know, I was his training guinea pig making noise outside at 10pm for a couple weeks till they caught on.:mad:

I've actually heard that parrots make great alarm animals in a house. Same with geese outside. Nothing gets by them without a racket that would wake the dead.

Also, I've installed magnetic door chime alarms on all windows and doors. Whole set cost me $86. No monitoring, but where I live, it wouldn't do any good. If I called 911, it would take the sheriff's office 45 minutes to get here. Usually, if anything goes down out here, the SO calls me or my neighbor to check it out anyway (we're both reserves).

Also know guinea's make excellent alarms and make so much noise when alarmed you'll want to shoot them to shut them up.

There are three entrance doors in this house. On the inside of all the storm doors we have these small decorative metal looking nik-nak things my wife picked up at a home interior store. I've taken very small bells and hung on them. If the outside door is moved in the slightest, you hear it. So do my dogs and they automatically go to that door barking.

We have up/down slider windows in which I've made windows braces to keep windows from being slid open.

An alarm system as well as motion lights stategically placed.

I like the motion lights cause hopefully they will go off before someone gets to the house scaring them away.

Far as kids went, we had four so I tried to secure the house best I could so if a BG showed up, he would make noises from the outside of the house trying to get in rather than me having to go through what you did.

Train that dog to these noise's and he'll alert you before someone can enter your house, not after. You'd probably be surprised at what he/she can learn if you're patient with her.

Also, I read you're a reserve deputy sheriff. Talk with a few of the sheriff depts. K-9 dog handlers and get a few pointers as to how to train your lab if you don't know. One of the K-9 trainers for Cols., Ohio PD has been very instrumental in the training my shephard and you would have to kill him to get in this house at night.

Almost forgot...Baby Minders, if you don't know what they are your wife will know. They work well as you can put the mike at the far side of your house/garage and the reciever on your nightstand and you can here any comotion in your house/garage from your bedroom. I keep a mike in my garage thats probably 60ft from the house and I can hear anything that moves in there from the bedroom.

Hope some of this helps.

Last edited:
Back