The Colt .45 never won the west!!

Remington kid

Why is it so many people believe that the Colt 45 won the west??? By the time the 45 came alone the west was already won by REAL men with REAL revolvers like the Remington .44, Colt 51 and 61 and the old army.
The only guy's who carried the Colt 45 were wimps and REAL cowboy want- a- be's, HA!!! :p :D

Because John Wayne carried a Peacemaker (although his was a .38-40, iirc). And you know full well that one of The Rules is that The Duke can Do No Wrong.

:D :D :D

'course by coincidence I was thinking about this yesterday. If you take the period of The West to be California Gold Rush to 1901 (Butch and Sundance's last train robbery), the Peacemaker was only around for about half of it.

Still a lovely gun, though. It's just pretty. We ought to give it a few points for that.

"Because John Wayne carried a Peacemaker (although his was a .38-40, iirc). And you know full well that one of The Rules is that The Duke can Do No Wrong"

That's the truth. Occasionally, he even carried one years before they were invented.

You mean the movies lied? Didn't the Duke get a special pre-production run (and a time machine) and film those movies as documentaries?

Guess it's all in the viewpoint...I figure the west was "won" by piles of dead buffalo, small pox infected blankets, and an unstoppable flow of settlers with rattle trap shotguns.

:D Ain't that the truth! old John could do no wrong and that colt of his had a never ending supply of bullets.
In all the Westerns I have watched with John I never did see him carry a cap and ball but he did carry an old Bess flintlock at the Alamo .

Awe, Now You Done It!

You just HAD to go and drop Sergio's name.
Now I've got to go watch "Once upon a time in the west".

Sadly, Ribbonstone has it right.

Sergio didn't get it right in "the Good, The Bad, And The Ugly they were shooting C&B revolvers without caps and buying cartridges for them All three Big's" 2 had colts, and One had a '58 Remm...Who had the Remington???
Lee Van Cleef That's who.
I am watching a documenterary on Western Movies and they stated that the old west was from 1850 to 1900(we'll allow Butch and Sundances last foray though)
"....Use enough dynamite Kid?" ).

OD, LOL. I don't remember when they were chasing Poncho Via (Spelling) all over the states but I guess you could say he was one of the last cowboy's fighting to keep the old day alive ....even if he did make his run in a car :)

PS Love Willie Nelsons song about old Poncho .

Sergio didn't get it right in "the Good, The Bad, And The Ugly they were shooting C&B revolvers without caps and buying cartridges for them All three Big's" 2 had colts, and One had a '58 Remm...Who had the Remington???
Lee Van Cleef That's who.

I just always tell myself they have conversion cylinders. I couldn't bear to think those movies were anything less than perfect :D

Shhh! Old Dragoon. Better wear dark glasses so you can't see so well next time you watch, The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly.

That's one of the reasons I like Quigley down under so well. Nothing but cap and ball and a 51 colt takes out the bad guy in the end. Quigley had his cartidge rifle that I would like to have for groundhogs :D If i could afford one!

That's what I like about Tom Selleck's Cowboy Movies, he uses period correct firearms. Yeah I watch too close and count the shots. How Doc holiday fired the "Street Howitzer" so many times at the OK Corral in Tombstone and all the other shots they all took befuddled me...No one reloaded anything. But I like the movie so much I watch it once a month, and lonesome Dove too. I love the Encore Western Channel, have it on most of my TV time.:D

RK,

800 yard target he sent to get the job, and you want one for 50 yard 'hogs.

I can see 'em at 50 yards, but can't see the sights to line up on 'em.

Mebbe I better get new glasses.

Can you imagine how Quigley was fuming, there at the end, when Marsten had his men tossing his rifle all over the corral like a chunk of firewood? That, alone, would make me want to kill him and them. Think I gotta watch it again now.

Man, I loved his parting line..Said I never had no use for one.....

Cheers,

George

BTW, have you ever seen a bad Tom Selleck movie?

Personal anectdote. I had the good fourtune to meet and shake Tom Sellecks hand at a gun show in las Vegas the very day that Crossfire Trail was to be shown the first time. he was there looking for high dollar Winchesters. I didn't have any that high dollar to interest him, but as he came by my table, there i am in my 1870's period Cowboy Attire. and I asked to shake his hand and he obliged. This was just after he had walked off The Rosie O'Donald Talk show Set when she tried to berate him for being pro gun. I thanked him for being a gentleman in the face of adversity. I didn't get home in time to see the movie that night but I saw it a night or two later. Been looking for an Evans and a Remington-Keene in my price range ever since. He had gently declined a lady earlier that asked for his autograph, said he wasn't there to do that, but to buy a couple rifles, but he'd accomodate her when he was signing autographs at another time. I thought that was pretty cool that he didn't just blow her off. All the vendors kind of passed that word around and protected him from that sort of thing the rest of the day. Pretty cool on all our parts.

OD,

Would you say kinda our kinda people, he is?

I like your story.

Damn sure would like to meet the man. Never will, but his is about the best movies there is, and I have all his westerns, Sackett ones, and the one with , who, Fred Astaire and Shelly Winters, where the old people are trying to die to leave him their insurance, "McConnels", "yeah, pop, I'll take you to get a hamburger", to "Mr. Baseball".

Last Stand at Blank River is another, saw it several times, want to buy it.

The Duke?

He couldn't hold a candle to Selleck!!!

Cheers,

George

I would say from my brief encounter, that the man shoots straight and he'd be one to ride the river with.
I think I have a video of Last stand at Saber River, and a couple others, also got a lot of Sam Elliot's Cowboy movies as well. He used to live in my area, but I never got to meet him, he's on the short list along with Kostner and Duvall.

The screen writers for those Selleck/Elliot/Lamour are really trying to get the guns and equipment right or at least feasible for the period. In Mitchner's TEXAS, they even equipped Rick Schroder with Paterson revolvers. Of course Sam Elliot had one too when he was dashing across the Natchez trace toward the Alamo. Strained feasibility there. They didn't come out until a few months after the Alamo but Colt had been developing them throughout the 1830s and we can pretend that Elliot had a prototype.

Bacause the Walker Colt was built previous to the Remington, and was the first revolving pistol to allow more than one shot while conducting mounted chases against Comanche Indians.

Although Captain Sam Walker was killed in Mexico City in the Mexican War, Texas Ranger Captain John C. Hays' company was the first company able to use the Walker (re-designed) Colt successfully to pursue the Comanches since they now did not have to dismount to do battle from the ground, and reload, etc.

It gave the first edge that Rangers had against Comanches at the time, who previously could loose more projectiles (arrows) while fighting horseback, than the Rangers could shoot (bullets) before the Walker Colt came out, and it was the first revolving pistol a person could carry extra loaded cylinders for while horse back that was sturdy enough to stand the treatment.

So while Remington and Smith and Wesson No. 3 models were used a lot in the ensuing years by Cowboys and gunfighters, etc., in order for the Central, West, and Northern portions of Texas to be inhabited, the Comanches first had to be dealt with and since they (naturally) did not appreciate getting pushed out of Texas into Mexico. (and later the reservations in Oklahoma and Florida) The Comanches could for the first time, were pursued all the way into the Northern portions of the Staked Plains, allowing for Westward settlement, such as ranches, towns, etc.

At least that is what I have gathered from reading various books about it over the years.

Back