The Cane

Enoch, I follow your point and agree about what a zealous prosecutor *could* do. Again, who's to know of your training, unless you're quite public about it? And, "occasional" need is legit. Again, I'm coming from the "good guy" direction; I assume you or I would not offer gratuitous violence.

That's the problem with an international forum like this one, of course. There are so many different jurisdictions, with so many different laws, not to mention attitudes on the part of enforcement personnel. Heck, compare Texas' cities with its rural areas!

Regards, Art

In Regards to EnochGale's caution, he is quite correct. I am a provisional instructor in Kali and after my instructor saw the CaneMaster's cane the first thing he said was that it "could be used against me" because it was specifically designed as a martial arts weapon, especially the pointed crook. A normal cane has no such thing so no problem. I have a solution to this in that a student of mine carved a very nice dragon as part of the crook, with a pointed snout at the end, making it "purely ornamental". The Canemaster's canes are nice, but very heavy and hence slower if you are used to practicing a stick art like kali. It seems to me they were meant for more brute force in blocking and retaliation. (the lighter cane is my personal preference) All in all, I would still rather take a chance on a jury after I survived an encounter rather than have no weapon at all in this day and age. In the end, it is ultimately up to how the political climate is at the time of the incident. Remember, in the eyes of the public and thanks to movies, martial artists can dodge bullets and can take on armies of thugs without being the worse for wear. Using a weapon against people with your knowledge just isn't fair!

Back