The bullet casting season has started for me

Armoredman. I have read that 9mm bullets are hard to cast well and be accurate. Have you found this to be true? I have a Lee-122 TC mold but haven't shot the bullets yet.

I resized 9mm bullets that were double coated because the first coat did not cover well. Using the sizer for the bullet that would be around the bullet with one coat, the sizer removed the paint.

Not at all. I warm up my Lee 6 cavity mold on the stove on low while the lead melts in the Lee Production Pot, then once the lead is fluxed and ready, go to work with a warm mold and I get good bullets right from the get go.
If the sizing die took over the powder coat it's either not on well, (cook right), or your bullets is larger than your sizing die by a wide margin. For instance, if you are struggling to show that bullet through, it's too big out of the mold for your sizing die. Example - I cast a 129 .314 bullet for 7.62x39mm. I size it down to .311 and add a gas check at the same time...and the powdercoat stays on just fine. In 9mm if the PC is coming off, the bullet was too oversize to the sizing setup. I use Lee push through dies .356 for 9mm.

Back