The Big Black Blob at the Bedroom Door

The nightmare thing worries me the most. I had one just a week or so ago, the subject of which was a female, uh, friend for whom I care deeply, and someone was presenting a threat to her. In the dream the "perp" turned a corner and drew his weapon and I drew mine and dove to cover her. I swear to God, I felt his slugs burn me, one on the shoulder, one on the neck. The whole time I'm triggering the Sig... but it won't shoot. I woke in a cold sweat, on my side, arm outstretched with nothing but air in my hand. Crazy, huh? But it was the most realistic dream I've ever had. I think that the only reason my hand was empty was because in the nightmare I drew from the hip and the Sig was laying on the floor. It does give me pause, but such instances are very rare.

My wife is a nurse who often works nights. I used to keep my gun loaded at my bedside till one night she had to come home in the middle of the night and walked into the bedroom. I immediately woke up and drew on her before I even woke up. I was impressed at my reaction but I also scared myself not to mention scaring her. She tried to call me to warn me she was coming home but i didnt hear the call and i'm not willing to take that risk anymore. The time it takes to rotate in order to have a round ready is enough time for me to wake up and realize what's going on. If that's too much time then hopefully the intruder shoots me first and buys my wife enough time to shoot him with her gun.

Good (physiologically correct) advice to look somewhat away from the "blob" to let your rods do their thing in low light - 20 or 30 deg will do. I haven't flown at night in a while (as pilot-in-charge of a light plane) but doing this can help at times, trust me.

But yes, using a flashlight is better of course - just don't temporarily blind yourself with the darned thing .... ;)

I keep a loaded (357 magnum) revolver in the bedside table. No kids. Like engine-out in a plane, you need to keep sharp by mentally practicing emergency scenarios.

And like everyone says, BEWARE THE FALSE POSITIVE !

I've learned a lot already from this forum (this is post #1). Think I'll stick around.
Cheers.

Last edited:
I keep a loaded 1911 rail gun with an attached light at bedside. No kids. Shine the thing at the ceiling and the entire room lights up. You don't have to point it at anyone to see them clearly, unless they are somebody who needs to be shot. Then they see two flashes, the first one brighter than the second. :D

Back