The best "under the seat of my old pickup" gun???

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I had a vehicle with a (lockable) compartment under seat, I left my P11 there.

Inexpensive is a matter of comparison, I think. If you want a good, reasonable, "survival" gun, perhaps one of the new .45 LC SS Taurus compact frames might work well. Ditto .41 mag.

Makarovs are good guns for the money. Wouldn't want to try to take a deer w/ one, unless it was at five feet.

I think a weapon carried in a vehicle should be fairly capable. Might consider one of the NEF/H&R rifles or shotguns. Barring that, a good surplus Mauser might be a fine choice.

If you were willing to fork the money out, (and had suitable storage in vehicle) one of the longer-barreled Glocks in .40 or .357 Sig (or, a 10mm or .45 w/ drop-in 6" barrel) would be ideal.

Anyone ever hear of operation "Trigger Lock"?
It was a FBI/BATF/Memphis police program run over 2 years to trace the guns used in crime by juviniles in Memphis,TN. The results were over 70% of guns used by kids under 18 in crimes were Bryco/Davis/Raven brands. When the kids where asked where they obtained the guns the largest responce/source was from parked cars!
So The best "under the seat of my old pickup" gun question should be "Whats the best gun to carry with me when I am in my old pickup and not to leave under the seat."
Leaving a loaded gun under the seat of a unattended vechile is just plain stupid.
You might as well take it to the nearest shool and leave it on the playground. This way you will save some kid the trouble of having to break into that old pickup.

Never leave a pistol alone in a hot car!
Poor thing will be panting and thirsty when you get back... it is cruel.

------------------
"There is no limit to stupidity. Space itself is said to be bounded by its own curvature, but stupidity continues beyond infinity."
RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE
The Critic formerly known as Kodiac

The gun: a SW 686 7 shot revolver.
Cheap and reliable.

The moral issue:

Some decry leaving a gun in the car.
In TX, you may have to go to a location
that forbids carry - like the hospital.
Thus, you will lose any capacity for
self-protection for the whole day because
of a visit to such a location.

Such bans were a strategy of HCI and its
allies to make carry as difficult as possible.
If I could not leave a gun in the car -
that would eliminate CCW for most of
my days.

So - that's BS IMHO - are you preachy guys
from a carry state and do you carry?

The gun I carry under my pickup seat is an S&W M629. It fits in a large pistol rug along with two speedloaders. Barrel length is 8 3/8. Who needs a rifle when you have one of the puppies?

What side of U.S.A you guys all live in? Carrying a gun in the car? Wow! isn't that illegal? Here where I live(East), whenever you got pulled over by a cop, the cop almost always ask your permission for search your vehicle. Thus, when you carry a gun in your car, you are taking serious risk here. good luck, if it is illegal in your area.

[This message has been edited by The Sig Man (edited September 18, 1999).]

Sig Man -- when a cop asks to search your car, tell him your attorney has advised you to not allow the search without a search warrant. It the cop says fine, he/she will get one, ask said cop if you are being detained or are you free to leave? (Cop must have probable cause for judge is issue search warrant--chances are, he ain't got it if all he stopped you for was speeding, etc.)

I second the sentiments of TX Lawman. If you are not being detained, deny permission and leave.

If you are being detained, deny permission to search and stay put. Keep your mouth shut, remember everything, and write out your notes before you drive away.

Never let "authority" pressure you into doing something YOU don't want to do. Government exists at our will and pleasure, not the other way around.

Original question: Any of the above revolvers or plastic-frame shooters, or even the ComBlock cheapos, will work just fine. Any gun (that works!) is better than no gun at all. Until you mount the instant-access safe, put a combo padlock behind the trigger guard (if it's a model which is totally deactivated by that measure--some SA semiautos aren't!) and have it dialed to the second number when stored. REMOVE ammo when you leave the truck anyway.

Inspect the gun weekly. If stored so the lock dial is never disturbed, it can serve as a tampering indicator. Dial your last number and if the lock does not open, reconsider your parking areas' (yes, plural) security...

Police trade-in K frame or Ruger 'Six' series. I have one of the latter that must have been an 'under the seat gun' because it was well and truly battered. The cost was low, and it worked fine, though. Shipped it into Ruger for rehabilitation for minimal cost. War story: while an LEO I used to go down to the state prison occasionally. The only provision they had for weapons safekeeping was to 'lock it in the trunk of your car'. Sharp folks--not.

------------------

That is a very good point about making sure they don't get stolen. I have a gun safe mounted in my car that I use to carry my gun in. I rarely keep the gun in the car when I am not in it, but either way it is always locked in the small gun safe. I wold hate to ever get one of my guns stolen and contribute to a street crime. That would weigh on my conscience not only that I contributed to something immoral and harmful to another person (through my irresponability) but also that I wronged my "brothers" in the gun culture by contributing to exactly what we are all fighting against: crimes with guns.

Also, in states that interpret not carrying as being "out of your scope of reach" while in the vehicle (i.e. "locked trunk."), a locking drawer that goes under your seat will usually count. Even if the officer does do a "Terry frisk" type search of your immediate area for weapons, he cannot look in a locked drawer under the seat of the truck w/out P.C. "Reasonable suspicion" is all he need have to do a check under the seat for weapons, though, TX Lawman (Chimel v. California-- the "wingspan" case).

But, to the original question-- I like old S&W revolvers, for example the 1917 .45 acp. You used to get them, used and loose but very very serviceable, cheap (~$120?), out of an import firm in Brazil, I think it was. Dunno how thick on the ground they are, now. Otherwise, find a cop trade-in 6" M-10 or M-19.

Remember, folks, we have to choose our battles, and we ALL have to leave a gun in the truck occasionally. Otherwise, we go completely unarmed for entire trips, and that, my friends, is very, very un-cool!

Let's kinda tone down the self-righteousness, here-- if Joe Gunowner has shown due diligence to put his pistol out of sight and locked the doors, it takes a Burglary of a Motor Vehicle-- a felony many places-- to get that gun out. Joe may have taken an assigned risk by not putting that pistol in a safe, but he is NOT responsible for a theft of his gun and the consequential actions of the theif. The THIEF is. Some of you sound like the anti-gun lobby, claiming that the gun manufacturers are responsible for the acts of those who commit crimes with the guns they make.

I agree that ole' Joe should lower his risks by not making a habit of leaving the pistol there allllll the time, but come on! Also, as has been noted in this very thread, things are not exactly the same all over-- what may seem a little dumb in downtown Detroit may make perfect sense in Terlingua, TX. (Can I get an affirmation from Brewster County?)

Regards,
L.P.

------------------
Will you, too, be one who stands in the gap?

Matt

If the criteria was an inexpensive, reliable, durable, rustable (who cares if it does?), no maintenance (neglect OK) gun which can be stolen, go Hi-Point. Who cares if it gets scratched by your wrenches or hammers. Who cares if it gets covered with rust? (Just sand it off and brown it yourself). Who cares if it gets stolen (it's not a S&W)? Those guns were built for neglect. So long as it's reliable, that's what counts.

(OK Rich, you can fire me now and as for all your connoisseurs out there at TFL, flame away. The man asked for disposable, I gave him disposable).

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back