The best single shot shotgun is...

I gotta say H&R gets my vote, especially for the money. I've got one that has been passed around the family for 20+ plus years and have never had a problem, except for its been beat around ALOT. But they do kick. I used It for my first couple years deer hunting with 3'' 00 buck, and my shoulder was glad when I got my 1100. Actaully the first time I shot the H&R was with the 3" 00 buck, and I almost got knocked over.

Anyone have experience with a Thompson/Center shotgun? I realize they are a lot more money than an H&R, but less than the dedicated trap "single shot" guns that have been mentioned.

Thanks guys, I took your advise into consideration and am now looking for either an H&R or a Winchester 37. I appreciate your help and will follow up with my choice and, if I can get my camera to work, pics of my future BOOM-STICK!!!

Either one will serve you well.

A word of advise/caution: Single shot shotguns recoil forcefully. As in they kick the daylights out of you. Start with 2 3/4in shells and make a conscious effort to pull it in tight to your shoulder. I've seen large men in pain after firing 3 in shells in an old Topper I once had. Do I feel bad about shooting a low base in it and then handing it to them with a 3 in magnum? No :D

I recently purchase a new H&R topper jr 20ga, it's a very fine shotgun. My wife and I have shot it several time at the range and we both love it. it shoots a very nice tight pattern and the recoil is very managable with a slip on limbsaver. I would highly recommend it to anyone looking for a great single shot.

and noone mentioned either .....
the Browning BT-100 or
the Krieghoff KX-5 ....

you guys are way off base .../ I'm offended ....

Jim, you mentioned good ones, I mentioned Ljutic and Seitz...........it seems these folks equate single shot with some cheap beginner gun.....oh well.............we try

single shot

I have a Winchester 37A. It is not as nice as the mod. 37, but it is still a nice gun and is light weight. Worth a look in case you see one listed. Mine is in 12 ga. but there are others ga.'s available. Good luck.

Whatever you get, if it's bigger than a 20, budget some $$$ (not many) for a slip-on recoil pad. Single shot shotguns KICK, especially with magnum or slug loads. And hang on tight; any movement during recoil is liable to ding you. (I speak as one with a small silver scar in the thumb/index finger web of my right hand from the opening lever of a Stevens 94 12 guage that I was just in too much of a hurry to take hold of correctly).

If you are hunting in heavy cover, you'll find that most shotguns become single shots--you only get one shot per flushed bird or scampering cottontail. So why not just use a single shot: light, cheap, reliable. Did I mention light? Cheap?

My favorite single is the Savage 220 hammerless; next is the Win 37. Unless you need one NOW, shop around. The older guns are much better finished than guns made now at anything like a comparable price.

Single shot shotguns KICK,

That only holds true for the cheap H&R types that never seem to fit anyone

This one:

http://www.ljuticgun.com/adj_mono.htm, as seen here, does not

mono_adj.jpg

I always though it would be fun to go after a second hand single barrelled trap gun with cutting tools and get the weight down three or four pounds for hunting.

From an old Gun Digest
Author: "Wouldn't it be nice to have a light hammerless single with a vent rib and a little engraving?"
Gun manufacturer: "Yes, and I might be able to sell 50 of them total."

Yes OneOunce,

but you can't use that Ljutic as a "boat paddle" either ...or at least I wouldn't ...

The Ljutic mono gun is a fine gun / although I do not own one ...and I'd rather have the Krieghoff KX-5 ....than the Ljutic ....but my old Browning BT-100 suits me very well .../when I want to shoot a single barrel.

View attachment 65974
View attachment 65975
View attachment 65976

not as impressive as a KX-5 or the Ljutic Mono gun ...but I'd have to practice more if I was carrying that Ljutic or a Krieghoff around ..and dress better ...and lose weight ....

Last edited:
Jim Watson, if you REALLY want to have a light hammerless gun with a ventilated rib and a little engraving, I know where there is a decent Savage 220 12 guage that you could start on. Add a Simmons rib and find a decent engraver and you're in business. Of course all that fancying up will make the factory walnut look a little shabby, so she'll need a new stock. And choke tubes....and a high polish blue job. HMMM. Maybe that Ljutic isn't so far out after all!

Back