The best single shot shotgun is...

deepvalley

I have been toying with the idea of getting another single shot shotgun and was wondering what you guys would recommend. I am looking for a general useage gun with decent reach, with or without interchangable chokes, and value for my dollar. I figured you all would have plenty of ideas and I want all the advise I can get!

I think the H&R is the only way to go. Proven, completely reliable design. I've got a couple of .410's. Recoil is the drawback. The 12 gauges also double as fence post drivers. The 10's are a masochist's dream.:eek:

The H/R as far as pure function is the ticket IMO. If you get a rifle you can fit it with shotgun barrels, but not the opposite.

If you are looking for something with a bit more form, Beretta made a few folding shotguns a while back that show up on gunbroker occasionally in the $200+ range. They fold entirely at the break so the barrel will touch the stock, and in many cases the stock has a notch cut for the barrel to enter.
fs-1, fs-2, fs-3, 412, 413 are the models.
Italian folder is also a good search term.

The H/R and italian folders have the same basic problem though, they are LIGHT. You can add weight to the stock, but that sort of defeats the purpose. If yo want "range" I assume you mean thumper loads. You won't want to fire many of either out of these, although I have used them to hunt squirrel and pheasant with the Remington Nitro pheasant loads. Those aren't the hottest loads available, but I usually use them for tie breakers in trap shoots from 50+, so they also aren't light.

Best single shot shotgun?

That's a hard one.

Browning BT99
Ithaca Perazzi
Ljutic Single Barrel Trap.

For general field work, the H&R is hard to beat.

I don't have any H&R shotguns but I have 2 of the rifles and wouldn't hesitate to get one of the shotguns if I wanted a single.

johnwilliamson062

If you are looking for something with a bit more form, Beretta made a few folding shotguns a while back that show up on gunbroker occasionally in the $200+ range. They fold entirely at the break so the barrel will touch the stock, and in many cases the stock has a notch cut for the barrel to enter.

Do you have any information as to getting barrels for these guns? I have tried to contact Investarm, but they do not respond. I have a 20 gauge model and would like to investigate getting a 12 gauge barrel, as they supposedly use the same size receiver, like the H&R.

The H/R and italian folders have the same basic problem though, they are LIGHT.

Imagine them as AOW's :eek: Shoot one of these regularly and you get to look down on the pansies that shoot 500 S&W.:cool:

MotelGunAOW1.JPG

I got my dad an H&R for Christmas for $79 and we've been having lots of fun with it. It's got a screw in choke I believe it's a pardoner

The spartan should be a good gun. If Im thinking right today its made by remington. It would make a good clay gun for singles. If you want to go for looks and sporting it would be a good buy but if you want a all around one I just cant let the T/C slip by

What are you planning on using it for? I have several, some old, some not-all shooters. My favorite is a Stevens 94 "Long Tom" with 3" chamber and 36" full choke barrel. Since I was 13, it's won many hams, turkeys, and quite a few $$$. A close second is my grandad's Ithaca 66 lever break. I have Iver Johnsons in every gauge except 20. I have a Hunter Arms, a Savage, a Winchester 37, and a couple of foreign brands. I'd just as soon buy a used shotgun from a gun show if it was going to be a single shot. The new guns from Rossi and H&R are fun, but just no match in choke or feel for these old guys. Choosing a gun is a very personal thing to me, no matter its configuration.

-7-

The only single shot I've fired is my Winchester 37 12ga. No issues, and took a few grouse with it. The only time I used it was my first two seasons when I was 12 and 13. Kicks like a mule though, especially for a 100 pound kid or whatever I weighed at the time!!

I've got two H&Rs (both 20 gauges), a Pardner and a Topper Deluxe Classic. I like them both but they feel very different from one another. The Pardner is about 6 lbs. and is my gun of choice on hunts that are more about walking than shooting. The Topper is over 7 lbs. and more muzzle heavy. Not as nice to carry, but it feels nicer when shooting.

The Topper Classic Deluxe would be way I'd go if I wanted a 12 gauge single, because it's got a more heft than most and has a decent recoil pad. It also has a vent rib and interchangeable chokes, which a lot of inexpensive singles do not.

For me, the Parder shoots about 60/40 above/below point of aim. The Topper shoots 50/50.

Last edited:
Bones, I think that you will find after a short physical survey that the 870 and 1100 are repeaters.

As a ATA shooter, I only fire one round at a time :) , and the 870 & 1100 have never had a round in their mags.

Back