The Best Shot You Ever Made - Part II

Hunting geese on a Virginia farm pond I
made a double with a malfunctioning Remington 1100 12ga. Had to cycle the action by hand. And I've got two witnesses. :)

I am not sure about the best shot I ever made but it sure was the funniest. Jack rabbit hunting in central Oklahoma when I was a kid. Using a .22 single shot rifle. Big jack jumps up and runs straight away from us. Fire off snap shot and he falls over dead. Go check for bullet enty/exit and none found. No blood anywhere. Roll it over on its back and it is a him minus two important little items, just a sliver of hide where they should be. Boy I bet that hurt.

Few years back was in a local city talking to the new Cheif of Police "who actually patrols" He had a few calls about barking dogs so he asked if I wanted to "ride along" with another city. I was showing him a pellet pistol Daisey 717 I had just had some work done on so I brought it along. Well the cause was a rabbit and not wanting to keep answering barking dog calls or discharging a weapon inside city limits sooooooo.... I asked him if he wanted me to "fix" the problem. He gave the go ahead. It was over 30yds. I made the shot from in the squad and the rabbit dropped crawled about 4 feet and was dead. "he thought I must be a deadly shot but in fact I consider myself a below average one" About a month later was driving thru that town again and he waved me over. I had the pellet gun along again "had joined a league" we were talking about some local things and a muskrat came out behind the post office and floral shop. He again didn't want to fire a round in city but wanted to get rid of it so I opened up the case and loaded it up about 20yds shot hit and it crawled off wounded. He wanted to try it so I gave it to him and he went "hunting" It got into some junk wood so he was using the flashlight in one hand and the pellet gun in the other. I said "rather loudly" Look out!! He darn near dropped both the gun and light trying to get his sidearm out.... :) :) I almost fell over laughing...
One other was with a Raven 25 auto. I caught a college student shooting it in the art building using "baled paper as a backstop" Well I "tested" the Raven at the range about 75' as I recall and I hit a pop can on the first shot. I wisely quit when I was ahead. "Had to let everyone have a chance with it"
Note I gave the gun back ...later No paperwork was given....

I am channeling this post through Lavan because I am no longer here.

The best shot I ever made was in Dallas back in 1963. Although I never even pulled the trigger, I was able to kill a president, wound a governor, kill a cop and go to a movie all within the space of one afternoon and still remain calm after I was whacked around for a while and questioned at the police department. And I did it all with a state-of-the-art Italian paperweight with a $9.95 scope. It was a good gun. Although
it was a bolt action, I got it to fire at a cyclic rate of up to 650 RPM and I could even control the angle of the bullets. It was one good gun, I'll tell you.

Lee

LUCKIEST: A electric line crosses the #7 fairway of my dad's favorite golf course. Blackbirds landed on it while we were standing on the tee. My dad jokingly offered me $50 if I could hit one of them. Driver and a Titleist did the job quite well. Headshot. Never again in a million years.

BEST SHOT WITH A GUN: The one where my life was in danger. I was walking the fencelines just before dawn as had seen coyotes near my sheep paddock. I was carring my grandfathers old bolt action Savage 30/30 with only 3 shells in the clip. All my other guns and ammo were still in our bedroom but my wife was asleep, so I went with what was in my truck.

I was walking down a gravel road with culverts running under it. The light was still such that everything had no color, only grey shapes.

Suddenly, the 12 inch culvert next to the road emptied 3 wild coy-dogs. I dropped the first two in about 1/2 second and wounded the third as it topped the hill above the road. It screamed and thrashed. I felt terrible that I didn't have another round to put it down.

Then, it charged me.

This all seemed like it took about half an hour but it was all really only about 15 seconds. I didn't even have time to turn the rifle around and use the butt as a club.

All I saw coming at me was a screaming mongrel made of all teeth. The best weapon I had was the empty rifle, so I used it. I rammed the barrel of the rifle right down the charging dog's throat. We then had a push/pull tug-of-war. In the excitement, I lost my footing and went down on one knee. I swung the rifle in an arc completely around me with the dog still on the end of it. Finally I was able to fling it off the barrel and off the edge of the road. Luckily it decided to keep on going down the hill and disappeared into a 5ft tall tobacco field.

After I cleaned out my pants, I went back after daylight fully armed to find LOTS of blood leading into the tobacco field the just vanishing. No telling what happened to that third dog, but he didn't get far.

I'd post pictures of the dead coy-dogs if I could figure out how you guys do it.

But three good hits, two of them instant kills with a bolt action rifle in very little light is pretty good shootin.

Moral: I don't care if the wife is asleep. Get more ammo and carry a backup.

Best shot a 525 yard shot on a crow with a custom built .270, douglas barrel and mauser 98 action. With 130gr speer BT. Witnessed by three buddies. Luck pure and simple.

Second best has to be a running skunk at about 80yds with a ruger blackhawk in .357. The 180gr xtp knocked him head over heels.

Steve

------------------
They teach conformity, it equals servitude, and that leads to genocide based not on race but resistance,

Steve

Depends on how you look at it as far as 'luck' versus 'skill' comes in, but you were the one holding the gun when it fired and 'luckily' hit the target...

My story starts out in the AZ desert with family and friends for a rifle and pistol shoot. We had brough along most of the contents of our safes and loaned and borrowed weapons back and forth for fun throughout the day. My turn comes with a friends brand-new Taurus PT92 (a Beretta 92f clone, IIRC) and my brother is just finishing his glass-bottled iced-tea. He says, "shoot it on the wing!" - with the backstop of a vast mountainside, I figured it was a safe attempt. Second shot out of the .40 S&W gun hit the bottle and shattered it into a million pieces. It was a good hit. Some might say it was a lucky hit.

When we get together during similar circumstances, that shot still comes up in conversation.

Second lucky shot was with a borrowed single-shot Stevens .410/.22 during dove season (why is it we're always better shots with borrowed guns?...). Friends were nearby and passed on a shot at a dove flying at maximum deflection on a passing shot - they figured it was out of range of their 12ga's. I pulled up the single-shot .410, thumbed back the exposed hammer, sighted long and hard, and let fly. The dove fell like a ton of bricks and landed with a thud. Did I mention this was my last .410 shell and made my limit for the day? My Father-in-law asks me why I'd ever take that long shot and my reply was; "I guess I didn't know any better."

He regards me as a crack shot to this day (don't fill him in on my luck, okay?). Stay lucky,

Back