The best Revolver you ever owned?

ifithitu

I've never owned a S&W or Colt, in revolvers. I own three revolvers .Two Taurus .38 SPL+P 5 shots,605.357 Magnum 5 shots,& EAA.38 Special,.357 Magnum 6 shots. The one I like best is the 605.357 Magnum.

Last edited:
I won't even try to go back through the ones I've owned in the past. I don't even remember most of them, much less which one was the best.

But of the ones I've got NOW, the "best" is this Smith & Wesson Model 15-2 from 1966.

Target hammer, target trigger, target sights, trigger stop, and target grips (diamond targets at that) it is just a delightful gun to look at, to hold and to shoot. It makes me look like I know what I'm doing at the range. They didn't call them the "Combat Masterpiece" for no reason.

But then to tell you the truth, I don't ever remember having a "bad" Smith & Wesson.

The best, (of anything) is hard to define. For overall quality and condition I'll opt for my Smith and Wesson 6" M 27-2. The rest of my Smith and Wesson revolvers tied for a close second.

I've owned revolvers by both Smith and Ruger, and so far, my favorites have been the Rugers. Both Smiths and Rugers shoot very well, but the Ruger line simply feels more rugged and more solid, to me, at least. I use them for target shooting since I'm not a hunter.

My two favorite Rugers are both in 357: the lighter Security Six, 6" SS, and the heavier Redhawk, 7.5" SS. They are both a pleasure to shoot, and provide countless hours of pure recreational fun.

Bayou

I'm with you on having a rough time defining the best.

I have had multiple S+W snub nose revolvers (both 38 and 357) and when it comes down to it my Ruger SP101 is the one I keep. Which is odd because when I hold them side by side and compare them attribute by attribute it is always, for me, the S+W that comes away as the more refined firearm. I still like the Ruger better.

O.W. Wilson "POLICE ADMINISTRATION"

The revolver should be heavy, so it could be used as a club if necessary

O.W. Wilson's book, at one time, was the Bible of Police Administration.

I'm pretty sure he had the Model 28 in mine when he made that statement.

Model%2028.JPG

I dont know if its the best but my favorite I have owned would be my SB .44 mag, so much so that I am looking very forward to owning a Bisley in .454 soon.

S&W Model 19-4 with target grips, deadly accurate. S&W Model 28-2 with 6 inch barrel, target grips and very accurate. Honorable mention to Colt Trooper MKIII and Colt King Cobra.

Howdy

Impossible to say which is the 'best' revolver I have ever owned.

At this point I own more Smiths than anything, over 60 at the last count. So that may say something.

However I also usually say that if I had to start getting rid of them, this well used 2nd Gen Colt would probably be the last to go.

So perhaps it is my favorite.

2nd%20Gen%20weathered_zpsn3dkzyvc.jpg

I do appreciate and have affinity for a good revolver. I wish I owned a Model 27-2 which was known as the Registered Magnum. The Model 27-2 was designed to fire maximum power .357 Mag ammo. It was authentic magnum handgun.

I have a relative who owned a 4" Model 19 with a recessed cylinder. It was fun to shoot with .38 Special ammo. With magnum ammo, it was a lot to handle.

I like the Python as well. It is a great revolver. I can see why Python owners love their guns. But if I could have any .357 Mag, it'd be a 4" Model 27-2

I guess it all boils down to preference. And preference is always based upon opinion.

The only fly in my ointment is I've never handled an original Peacemaker. From what I've read, it is the most natural pointing revolver ever made. But even that is merely an opinion.

BTW, I've read in more than one place that the .357 Mag has has its pressure lowered because of revolvers that experienced difficulty shooting rounds for which the Model 27-2 was designed to shoot all day long.

Best?,,, Who knows,,,

Best?,,, Who knows,,,

Favorite?

Any K-frame S&W,,,
My personal favorite is the Model 15.

Why?,,,
Because I can hit the target with it.

Aarond

I do appreciate and have affinity for a good revolver. I wish I owned a Model 27-2 which was known as the Registered Magnum. The Model 27-2 was designed to fire maximum power .357 Mag ammo. It was authentic magnum handgun.

The Model 27-2 was not the Registered Magnum.

Smith and Wesson developed the 357 Magnum cartridge in 1935, as a further development of the high powered 38 Special ammunition used in the N frame 38/44 Outdoorsman and 38/44 Heavy Duty revolvers. By lengthening the case roughly 1/10" the 357 Magnum cartridge could not accidentally be chambered in a normal 38 Special revolver.

The revolver S&W developed for the new 357 Magnum cartridge in 1935 was simply called The 357 Magnum. This was well before S&W was using model numbers. The Registered Magnums were part of a marketing campaign to raise the level of awareness for the new revolvers. Smith and Wesson sent a registration certificate to the owner as proof that he had a Registered Magnum.

In 1957 Smith and Wesson changed over to a model number system. At that time, The 357 Magnum revolver became the Model 27. Dash numbers, such as 27-2, represent engineering changes made over the years to various numbered model revolvers. The Model 27-2 was made from 1961 until 1983 when the Model 27-3 came out.

Too many reasons and purposes for having a revolver (from self-defense to target shooting to hunting and everything in-between) for me to pick a "best" one-but if I could only have one it would be my Smith & Wesson Model 686 Plus with a 4" barrel.

Mine is a 1956 pre-Model 10 that some elite craftsman turned in to a PPC revolver. I would pay cash to find out WHO did the work. I will probably get yelled at for not uploading any pictures... maybe one day.

This revolver is completely amazing.

The "best" revolver? Well, if you mean the best crafted or best practical accuracy, you'll get a different answer than asking which would be the last to go.

In the "last to go" category would probably be one of my Model 27s (my first quality handgun) and a Model 15 that is handy to carry, accurate, and has a nice action.

Back