The benefit of "called" shots.

Well, I tried.

I definitely blink but just after when the shot goes of, but I did see where the sights were when the bang happened. Not perfect, perhaps, but a step in the right direction.

I also positioned my body straighter in relation to the rifle, with my legs in the opposite direction the the stock. Better eye relief, I could push a bit on the tripod, but more punishing on my bony lil' clavicles!!

i dont get called shots.arent you supposed to aim and hit the red dot on that piece of paper.
i dont these people who sight in by having the scope follow the bullet hole.should not the scope help the bullet holes go toward the target.

in match only groups matter.but if your shooting at a deer you can shoot 1/2" groups at 100 yds on a deer but if those shots hit the gut then all you have is really tight groups that cause a deer stomach pain untill coyotes get the "your" deer 3 days later.

There may be some confusion about called shots and adjusting sights; either scope, open or aperture; they're all done the same.

When the shot fires and you see the sight aligned at 8-o'clock two inches left and an inch low below target center on a 100 yard bullseye at that instant, here's what you do when the bullet hole appears an inch high above target center at 12-o'clock.

Elevation; come down 2 MOA on the sight because the shot hole is 2 of them above the point of call.

Windage; come left 2 MOA on the sight because the shot hole is 2 of them to the right of the point of call.

Shoot again; the sight's at a point 1 inch high above target center and 1 inch to the right; it's "called" about 1.5 inch out at 1:30-o'clock when the rifle fires. The bullet hole is about a half inch to the right of where you called it; 1 inch high above target center and about 2 inches right of target center.

Is not your objective to get bullet holes striking where the rifle's aimed at when it fires?

What adjustment do you make on the sight?

Last edited:
Pond said:
I have had some absolutely beautiful eye-lid prints on there, I can tell you...

I imagine that this means I need to play around with eye-relief, but I think my scope cannot go any further forward because of the rear objective housing: need to check.
This is something that can (and should) be fixed, whether by different rings, or possibly a longer length of pull on the stock.

Pond said:
Well, I tried.

I definitely blink but just after when the shot goes of, but I did see where the sights were when the bang happened. Not perfect, perhaps, but a step in the right direction.

I also positioned my body straighter in relation to the rifle, with my legs in the opposite direction the the stock. Better eye relief, I could push a bit on the tripod, but more punishing on my bony lil' clavicles!!
Being straight behind the rifle can help with recoil recovery, to get back on target quickly after the shot. With practice you can spot your shots through the scope as they hit (assuming a long enough range and flight time that you get back on target before the bullet gets to the target.

Have you tried dry fire practice? Good way to learn focus, and awareness of where the sights are when the shot breaks.

To me, calling your shot is "I pulled that one" BEFORE you see where the bullet actually hit. Its "I screwed up".

If my bullets goes where I aim it, there's nothing to "call". If it doesn't, its because I screwed up. I "call" it when I know I screwed up.

I don't compete in shooting matches, and so, my take on this appears a bit different from many.

I do sometimes call shots playing pool. :D

Or is it like "I'm gonna hit this one out of the park over the left field fence"?

Does anyone say "I'm gonna put this one in the 8 ring at 2o'clock"? Then shoot. maybe I don't get it....

Calling the shot's been the standard to telling someone where the sights were relative to the desired point on target when the rifle fired.

If it's low and to the left, fine.

If that's where the bullet went, even better.

If the bullet struck somewhere else than where the shot was "called," then the firearm's not zeroed for that range and ammo. Time to adjust your sights.

While all shots won't always go to point of aim because of the rifle and ammo's accuracy level, if several shots cluster about the point of aim, wherever it is on target, that's the best anyone can do.

There's been times when I've held off the desired point of bullet impact 'cause the wind's blowing. Another time with a rifle that walked its shots towards 4-o'clock as the barrel heated up, I would intentionally hold off at 10-o'clock in the 8-ring for the first shot, then less into the 9-ring for the second, more less for the third and just barely off the 10-ring for the fourth shot. My fifth shot would be aimed at the edge of the X-ring 1/2 MOA towards 10-o'clock They all would all cluster in a small area centered on target.

Shooting under a coach in a long range team match, the coach would often give hold-offs to aim for. If the wind speed changed a lot since the last shot was called center and went there, he would say "hold an 8 at 9-o'clock." So I'd just move the crosshairs over to the left and start sqeezing the trigger. If he said " 9 at 9," I'd move the sight a ways right to the middle of the 9-ring off to the left. When I fired the shot, I'd call where it was aimed when fired so when the target came up with a spotter in the bullet hole, he would know what to do with the sights for the next shot.

Calling shots is simply stating where the sights were at when the round fired. Dead center or 2 feet off the target straight down because you anticipated the shot and pushed your shoulder into the rifle as it fired.

When I started shooting back when I was 6yrs old my pop would put up a target with a bunch of stickers on it. Then HE would call out which one I was to shoot. Being they were on a big piece of poster board it could be anywhere from top to bottom or left to right, but he kept track and made me move things around.

To this day that repeats in my mind some 40+yrs later. When I sit down I know exaclty where things are and where things should be after the shot. Yes there are times at the club range where I am just at the trigger break and the fellow next to me fires, that i have a little episode of "what the". But if I am in my groove, I can reliably put round after round into the same group as I see fit.

With my revolvers, open sights, and yardages starting out around 45 or so away, my eyes are the weak link nowadays. Everything starts to get weird. I am far sighted with a astigmatism and a fine focus simply ain't gonna happen. Now from 25yds in, I can get rabbit or squirrel soup anytime I want.

Back