The battle between bolt action and semi

I would skip the Model 100 Win. I have two Browning BARs, a 308 and a 243. Yes they are nice and I don't plan to sell them, but for hunting I grab a bolt action 95% of the time.

I like lightweight, better triggers, and I think follow up shots are often over-rated for hunting. That's nit it say they can't be useful, coyote hunting comes to mind.

Also when it comes to hand loading, most us easier with a bolt action.

No one mentioned the Remington 740, 742, 7400 family of rifles. They can be picked up pretty inexpensively and are pretty durable. I'm a bolt man myself but a friend has one he neglected forever and and it runs fine, kinda like a timex...

I have/have had, a number of .308 bolt guns, and a number of them were not something Id want to carry around and try to hunt anything that might need quick shooting or quick follow up shots up close.

I did have a Savage Scout, and it was about perfect for that. Light, easy handling and very accurate. Nice big bolt knob, that was easily and quickly worked. It lacked a stripper guide, but I guess nothing is perfect. Scout scope works well for quick, close up shooting, and is OK for longer shots, but I still prefer the irons or a red dot for that.

My favorite for a long time has been my little FR-8. A little heavier than the Scout, but it has good, useable irons, and a straight bolt handle that works fast and easy, and is accurate. It does have a stripper guide.

My .308 autos werent quite as handy and a bit heavier than the carry realistic bolts, but if youre in reasonable shape, they are not at all a hindrance. My overall favorites were my HKs, but (lacking an AR "carbine") my M1 would be my next choice. The M1As were "OK", depending on the era, but they just arent as handy as the M1.

While not a .308, but still .30 caliber, I really like my AK's in 7.62x39. Its like a .308K, and the guns are handier, lighter, faster and easier to shoulder and shoot quickly with, and even with just the irons, will easily fit the 250 yard limit.

For anything serious, Id go with one of the autos, and these days, it would probably one of the AR's, simply due to the versatility of the platform. As much as I like the right kind of bolt, even when stripper fed, they just cant keep up to the autos.

The way I poke holes in paper, I don't see the need for a semi auto. I have a few nevertheless, just because I can. I don't hunt, but if I do, I would have to stretch hard to justify a semi auto.

-TL

i owned and hunted with a rem 141 pump in 35 rem and for deep woods work on deer or bear and it was as close to a semi auto as allowed to hunt with in pa. i own and use seven lefthand bolt rifles and just as many pump rifles for hunting, but i do prefer the pumps unless i need more power for larger game. in africa i used bolt action rifles. eastbank.

I'm from the "older" school of hunters, learning that the most successful hunters I knew used bolt-action, scope-sighted, .270 Win or .30-06 rifles, I went that route.

Though I presently own a couple of .243 Win bolties. They're primarily for the younger grandkids and by me, for larger varmints, but I may carry my T3 Lite for the heck of it, especially when walking longer distances.

I am with picher, I traded in my semi for another tikka:o

I really liked my benelli argo but until I can get a ar10type semi I won't bother (laws re military style rifles here)

it did weigh more then my tikka and was bulkier
it was great and reliable and I do miss it

we have a stupid 6 rifle limitation so I have tended to swap around

if you are going semi I would pick a heftier calibre to gain more from the gain in less recoil

If I didn't already have an M1A scout I would go with an 18" barrel AR10 for Hogs. Mounting optics is easy and you can build a pretty good one for about $400 less than a new M1A.

Here's a link to a complete lower for a good price
http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-10/psa-pa10-308-complete-miad-black-lower-receiver.html

And here's a pretty decent looking complete upper.
http://aresarmor.com/store/Item/Upper_Ajax_18_308

Slap the halves together and add a decent optic and you've got a very capable Hog gun.

If you tend to be a poor shot and need a lot of follow-up shots, you should practice, not just buy a Semi-Auto. :D

FWIW, I have a lot of semi-auto rifles I use for various purposes. I have had .308 pattern ARs...not much interested in them anymore and I sold them off. The only one I would consider is the new DPMS GII.

That said, for things like Hogs, a semi can be handy in certain circumstances. But, the calibers suitable for the AR15 are plenty for Hogs. I use a .450BM as well as 6.5PCC and supersonic 300BO for that type of hunting. Less cost, less weight. But even then, when the distance stretches out, I tend towards the bolt guns, even if I have both with me.

[QUOTEWhat type of upgrades to do suggest for 308 semi? I went with an S&W M&P 10.][/QUOTE] Jeez guys, he bought his AR10 back on the 17th.

There's a lot of options, and a lot more unnecessary options out there. Shoot your rifles with the irons or scope (whichever you prefer) and get a feel for it, then you'll better be able to make a good educated guess at what to accessorize it up with.

I prefer the lever action myself for hunting purposes. If I was picking between the 2 for HOG hunting, it would give me an excuse to pick up an M1A Socom or scout.

I shoot a Rem.700 Bolt,which I love. But for what your going for, I would go semi. The M14 would be my choice, used it quite alot in the service 250+ yards, piece a cake, with no problems. 308 is a great choice.

Back