The annual cheap plastic invasion has arrived!

FirstFreedom

What gives when the stores put out the muzzleloaders (like Bass Pro). This year there is not a single, lone, uno, one, ML put out with a stock made of wood. Nothing but cheap black or camo plastic as far as the eye can see. What the hell? I know plastic stocks are popular with regular rifles & shotguns, but wood-stocked rifles and shotguns ARE stocked and DO sell. So why is it that BP shooters are so particularly cheesy on the gun selection?

As an old muzzleloader, all I can tell you is that the gun makers want to attract the hunters with muzzleloaders that look like their other, centerfire rifles. Hunters probably prefer black or camo plastic. I don't hunt so I don't know for sure, but they seem to sell. I prefer a wood stock and I prefer my muzzleloaders with wood stocks also. Just my 2 cents.

Concur with oldmaster111. Gunmakers seek to expanded their lines into black powder so as to capture part of the market. They're not competing against the folks who make replica long rifles or even replica military arms. Rather, they're directed at modern hunters who probably have no interest in black powder and want to take advantage of an extended hunting season which is created by muzzle loading only hunts. First Freedom, I agree that there's no beauty or charm in those modern guns - its pure hunter driven.

Just a guess, I would say that plastic is cheaper.
I agree that many hunters have no interest in blackpowder per se, they just want something to hunt with. They are primarily interested in price. Performance matters less and beauty doesn't matter at all.
Maybe I am making unfounded generalizations, but it seems to me that I have met a number of people over the years that were strictly hunters. They own guns but they own them strictly as tools of hunting. They seem to me to be a very cheap lot. They get by with the absolute minimum they can.
For me, I am totally into the guns. I hunt a little but the gun I am using is my main focus and hunting is secondary to that for me. I sometimes try to come up with something to hunt just so I can use a certain gun I own for something.

An answer from a new (read inexperienced) BP shooter hunter.
I decided last year to try BP shooting so I purchased a replica BP revolver (1858 New Army) just to try it out and see what happened.
I wound up really enjoying the experience, so I started looking around for a BP rifle to shoot and use for hunting.
The budget being what it is in my home, I wound up purchasing (yesterday as a matter of fact) a Traditions bolt action BP rifle. I walked out the door with everything I needed to fire (except the 209 primers, which I have 3 or 4 thousand of already) for under 180.00.
I wanted one of the wood stock percussion cap models but could not afford the extra dollars one would cost. Yes I could have saved and bought one, but it might have been next year before the money was available for that.
Now I can shoot this one, learn what I need to, and be ready for hunting season.
SO the biggest factor for me was cost, if I could have gotten a wood stock that fit the budget, I would have.
Will

Wood stocks

Try Cabelas. They have everything from old timey Kentuckies to CVA in lines.
Flintlock, caplock, your choice.
If you want to take the rifle hunting, you might wind up better with a plastic camo stock because they are guaranteed waterproof and weatherproof, if you buy a wooden stock, it would be much more handsome, but you would have to keep it that way with wood reconditioners and special spray-lacquer to keep the wood fine and inpenetrable.

I've seen people searching far and wide for wood replacement stocks for their plastic stocked muzzle loaders. But there aren't many available for purchase that I can find. There's a whole untapped market out there just waiting for an outfit to make them available.

Buy pre-owned

If you are looking for the whole package - wood stock and all, try buying used. I recently acquired a TC Hawken, wood stock caplock, on the "used" rack at Carter's Country in Spring, TX, for a very reasonable price, about half of the new price. I think it had been used by someone who decide to try BP shooting and decided to give up BP shooting not long after, as it was in prime condition.

It looks really fine hanging over the fireplace, and no plastic on it.

I really love it - I guess that makes me a wood stock baby?? :D :D

I think it has more to do with personalities than performance. I just recently replaced the wood stock on my Encore with a rynite thumbhole stock. I haven't notice any difference in the way it shoots, but I have noticed a difference in the weight. By having the thumbhole stock I have also noticed a big reduction in felt re-coil, since my hand takes most of the re-coil off of my shoulder.
I bought mine to hunt with, not to hang on the wall and look pretty, so I guess that puts me in the "Strictly tools for hunting" category that 444 explained, but I have noticed NO difference in performance, since the stock doesn't fire the bullet.:D

I just cannot understand why hunters, who are also hunting during rifle season as well (presumably 90%+ of them), and who buy and use wood-stocked rifles for rifle season, don't at least occasionally want to buy a wood-stocked ML.

What I mean is, BassPro caters to joe sixpack hunter. Look across the rifles - about one-half synthetic, one-half wood. So presumably they're selling in that ratio, or they wouldn't be stocked that way. So half of joe sixpack new buyers are gettting wood stocked rifles

Now last year there were maybe 2 or 3 wood-stocked MLs and the rest synthetic. But now (so far) this year they've put out 100% synthetic-stocked ones. So I just wonder what it is that makes joe sixpack think to himself "now I like my woodstocked Win 70, but I really must have this camo plastic Traditions/Knights/whatever." :confused: As if deer can be fooled by camo guns during ML, but not during rifle season. Or taste & aesthetics just goes out the window because it's only 1 week per year?

WBB, the thumbhole stock you bought is interesting, but not really explanatory of what's happening here, since these are not recoil-absorbing thumbholes, and you are not the typical buyer. Glad to hear that that worked for you however.

Last edited:
Lest you think I may be exxagerating, here are pics of each side of the temporary muzzleloader rack.

On side 1, as you can see from pic 1, there are 26 muzzleloaders. On side 2, as shown in pic 2, there are 27 muzzleloaders to choose from. Most all of these are variations on CVA, Traditions, & Knight lines & models.

So that is FIFTY-THREE muzzleloaders, and there aren't 5, or 4, or 3, or 2, or even ONE stock that is not plastic. None! Very weird.

Attachments

• BassProMLs1.jpg
    BassProMLs1.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 39
  • BassProMLs2.jpg
    BassProMLs2.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 29
There's still some wood stocked inline models being produced, but because they are usually much more expensive, they aren't being stocked by Bass Pro or most retailers.
With the exception of an inexpensive Palmetto inline that costs about $100 and isn't very ergonomic, I don't know of any other "cheap" wood stocked inlines that haven't been discontinued.
There's probably many different reasons for this situation, but good wood costs more money, and plastic is probably considered to be more acceptable than cheap wood by most consumers, and more successful to sell affordably to the masses by both the large manufacturers and retailers.

I wouldn't have nothing but wood on my guns. Hrmmph!
I believe the synthetic stock is cheaper and appeals to the hunters because you really don't have to worry about messing up the finish when hunting. They're also lighter and come in CAMO!!!! for the rifles that want to hide:D
Along with water resistance and all else they make a good hunting tool, or something you don't have to protect and worry about scratching or dinging up,therefore reducing re-sale value.
Still, my guns have wood stocks, and hunting/handling marks only seem to add character!!

I mean, what's better,showing the crew your camo plastic rifle, or explaining that little scratch in the wood happened when you shot your record boone and crockett buck with your trusty rifle?
Scratches and dings are memories of the past.
Besides that, you can't have a engraver carve a fancy scroll or animal on a plastic stock. You can't put silver or gold,or wire inlays in a plastic stock.
They are cold dead machines with no feeling to me.

George

.54 Lyman Cougar, Investarms (Italy), 1 in 28"

P1000019aa.jpg

Last edited:
As an update to my earlier post, I have been shooting my Traditions inline 209 primer, plastic stocked ML some these last few days. It shoots very well with open sights and the more I shoot it, the better I should get.
However I am not overly fond of the plastic stock or the 209 primer ignition.
When the budget allows I do plan on buying a high qaulity wood stocked side hammer gun. Until then I will just have to shoot and hunt with what I can afford.
Remember we have the types and number of firearms we have today because our ancestors wanted something better, so if they were satisfied with wood stocked matchlock smoothbores, the more modern types would never have been invented.
I like the history of firearms just as much as anyone, but I also appreciate the modern touches.
Just my .02,
Will

I paid $14.72 for a 1x12 pine board only 8 ft long at the lumber yard yesterday.

With the economy being what it is, the manufacturers are probably looking for a cheaper way of producing their products, and the plastic is probably cheaper.

Places like Cabelas and Bass Pro are buying their rifles by the thousands, so a price reduction of 30 or 40 dollars per unit is probably more attractive to them thereby reducing the demand from them of wood stocks.

As far as buying a side lock, try the local pawn shops, since the in-lines have come out, you can't give a side lock away. Most of the pawn shops have a room full of them they can't sell.

I agree with FF though, you would think that there would be at least a couple of wood stocks available to the consumer who might not be worried about what they spend.

sundance44s

Your right about checking the pawn shops for good wood side lock guns .. last year a local pawn shop sold me 5 thompson Hawkens 50 cal. for 50 bucks a piece said he couldn`t sell them anymore .. everyone wants an inline ..sure made me happy they do ..:D

I love a pawnshop owner that don't keep up with current events!!!
Since T/C quit making all but the .50 Hawken the prices have soared!!
Sundance struck gold!!

Back