The 32 family.

I really like the .32acp. For whatever reason, I converged on .32acp pistols over the more popular .380acp versions early on, and have never gone back.

I just have never liked blowback .380's that much, and the modern micro pistols in .380 kinda feel like they're about to explode, or wear out really, really fast.

If I need more power, I go straight to 9mm.
Yeah, I get that sense with the micro .380's today too, specifically the polymer frame models, but people put hundreds of rounds thru them every month and the guns keep on trucking. Even if the service life of them is 5k or 10k rounds, the guns are so cheap that it's not a huge loss to buy another one.

I would still like the option of a .32 in the same size pistol tho. Like I said, if the ammo companies would put an effort into making modern .32 ACP defense ammo meant for short barrels like they have with .380, then .32 would be a more viable option for self defense.

I use a Little Dandy powder measure to dump my powder charges. I got tired of buying rotors for the thing and decided to make an adjustable rotor for it.

I took a #9 rotor because the powder chamber was the exact right size for a 3/8"x16 tap. I drilled it all the way through and then threaded the chamber. I used one socket head set screw to screw in to the hole with lock-tite and then ground it flush with the outside of the rotor. I did this so I could get the maximum depth of the charge area.

Next I used a second set screw and ground it into a 3 thread plug with a small bit of the hex left so you can adjust it with an Allen wrench. Now I have a measure that will dump from .4 grains to 6.4 grains of bullseye. To adjust dump and leave the rotor down and insert an Allen wrench through the dump hole and make what adjustments you need to make until it throws the amount of powder you want to dispense. I know this sounds a little complicated but its really not. And it dumps the same charge time after time.

I just used it yesterday to dump 2.5grs of Bullseye in a 32 mag case to make my bud some snake loads with #12 shot. Of course it will dump all powders but the fine grained powders work best.

And a big +1 on the Lee dippers. I love mine and use then mainly for rifle loads where I dump close to the weight of powder I want and then use a trickler to put in the last few grains.

Son was visiting about month ago. Asked about loading some 32 H&Rs. I said all is available, whenever he is ready. We each had a S&W back about 2000.

I checked my inventory and found 4x50s, 32 H&R mags marked $11 each He was tickled to get em. Told him Id load some practice ammo for him as the others were Georgia Arms-pretty potent stuff. Ran into some 32 blem bullets back about 2002 and still have about 1/2 a 1000.

In autos and revolvers I have had at least 10:1 in 32 column. I think I have only bought one 32 cal gun new. A Ruger S-6 in 32mag back in 80s. The 32s had to be more popular than 380 or 38S&W. Especially in Colt and S&W.

Back