The 308 vs 3006 vs 300 win Mag rifle debate

pt2285

Inactive
I've shot 3006 my entire life, started on my grandpas 1903 and went from there. I still have his 1903 and when I was looking for a new rifle I bought a 710, not knowing what a huge pile of -CENSORED--CENSORED--CENSORED--CENSORED- the 710 is. From the 710 I said -CENSORED--CENSORED--CENSORED--CENSORED- it I'm getting a nice rifle, so I went to the gun store and settled down with an x bolt. I like my x bolt, it's classy and a good deer gun (if I ever get a chance to deer hunt) but it's not what I want and zero aftermarket industry for it. When I go long range plinking and fun at the range after a day of 3006 rounds my shoulder hurts and it's not really a fun round to do long range with. I was thinking ok, well let's get into the 300 win mag but that's $1 a round so I'm looking at a 308 rifle. But ahhhhh, there are so many 308s to choose from and I would like the tactical chassis look with the pistol grip. I've always had a little problem with parallax In a scope and I found that if can get my hand lower and the scope little higher I can stay on target better. I'm not looking to break the bank but I'd consider sinking $1500 into this rifle. So I call unto thee, guide me with your ways so that I can make the best educated guess possible.

Factors to keep in mind, I love in southern ca so space and range time to test items is slim to hahahaha your funny. Thank you in advance.

If the .30-06 gives you a sore shoulder I would not recommend a 300 for your next rifle purchase. Are you looking for cheaper ammo, softer recoil, long range, plinker?

Last edited:
Just overall more fun, and yeah I'd say cheaper ammo. Decent 308 is far less than decent 06 these days. That mil surplus stuff is hell on my guns, and like 1 in 6 are duds

Remington and savage both make good heavy barrel 308 rifles. With your budget a chassis system is gonna be a tall order. Do you already have a good scope or is buying a scope factored into the $1500.

The universal solution to recoil reduction and long range accuracy involves adding weight. I currently shoot quite comfortably with a .308 that weighs around 9.5-10#. My 30/06 match rifle is 11+# and recoil is similar.
Your ammo cost estimate is flawed as most decent .308 and 30/06 ammo is $1 or more per round with 300WM higher.
If you can find a well stocked gun shop, handle the rifles in your price range to determine what you like. Be advised, an accurate rifle may not be "pretty" or handy.

If the 30-06 works for you, I would stick with it. It is a great cartridge.

Growing up in the shadows of WWII and even some WWI vets, it did not take me long to realize the 30-06 is the standard yard stick all cartridges are compared to.

Merely mentioning anything "Magnum" the "Greatest generation" would always remind me the 30-06 won TWO World Wars, and worked well in Korea.

Look at the M1A, it's tacticool, can be had for under your 1500 threshold, shoots 308 and because of the weight and is a very soft shooter. My wife prefers my M1A over my AR, Mini 14/30 and Kel Tec SU 16 because of how soft it shoots. As for the 300, it would hurt worse than the other two.
I don't know what part of So. Cal. you live in but I'm from La Mirada and use to shoot at Burro Canyon and the Los Angeles gun range since they shut down the San Gabriel range.

I've never been interested in "after-market" for a bolt gun, so I may not be helpful.

A scope with an Adjustable Objective lens setup should end the parallax problem.

A Limbsaver (or equivalent) butt pad will help with any recoil sensitivity. So will adding weight, via putting lead in holes drilled into the buttstock.

Handloading allows reduced-recoil loads. Good used equipment is just as good as brand-new.

USMC 77-81

then we are 2 ships passing in the night because i shoot @ burro as well.... i have a spot i take people to above palm springs that is open against a mountain that requires a 4x4 to get to... i like it alot. i went down today and ran through alot of firearms and the systems that come with it and i really want a M1A and then add all the aftermarket. but we are @ $3k around then. with a good R700 and the same upgrades, its almost $1000 cheaper and you can hit the same targets in the same group at what ever distance you want. yes i know its bolt vs semi... but the overall end game is the same.

savage arms are way to heavy for what they do.

If recoil of the '06 is getting to you, the 308 wont make much difference. A 300 WM will be worse.

I shoot a lot, and I don't like recoil, Buffalo arms fixed the problem for me with their recoil pad.

http://www.buffaloarms.com/Shoulder_Recoil_Pad_it-160522.aspx?CAT=4019

It makes most guns comfortable to shoot, you can use it with all your guns. Great for extended shooting sessions. I use it at matches but not while hunting.

While hunting you wont notice the recoil while shooting at game, plus you wont shooting that much.

Its comfortable, easy to use and it works.

I conduct CMP GSM matches. In doing so I may shoot three matches (4 if I include the vintage sniper match or carbine match.

Three of the matches I shoot, the Garand, Springfield, and Military (where I shoot a Model 1917). Each of these matches are fired with rifles in '06 and all the rifles have steel butt plates. Plus add my Model 1903A4 with its steel butt plate. If I didn't use the shoulder recoil pad I'd be punch drunk.

In such matches you don't have an option of putting recoil pads on the rifle.

Plus I like shooting my Pre-64 Model 70 in '06 which has a steel butt plate.

Not to mention my 300 WM 1000 yard rifles.

Edit to add: My wife broke her back and has three rods between her shoulder blades. She cant take a lot of recoil. Her 243 is ok, but that's it.

Unless she uses the Buffalo Arms shoulder pad. Then she has no problem with extended shooting sessions with my 270 & 30-06s.

That pad is similar to the Past recoil shield that I use for the big ones. They do take a lot of the bite out of the harder kicking rifles. I don't need one for the .300 Win. Mag. but sure do for the .338 Win. Mag. If the OP is having trouble with recoil, either one of those pads should take a big hunk out of the hurt.
Paul B.

I hunted with 3006 for 40 years and have gone almost entirely to 308. I have 2. In equal weight rifles (7.25 lbs ready to hunt) the 308 has about 25% less recoil than 3006, yes it is noticeable. My Kimber 308 weighs 5.9 lbs scoped, recoil is exactly the same as the much heavier 3006.

I give up a little speed, but todays 308 loads are 100 fps faster than 1940's era 30-06 loads and 200 fps faster than the 3006 loads used during WW1.

With the best loads modern 3006 will still beat 308 by roughly 100-150 fps with equal bullet weights, but that only adds about 50 yards to the effective range. With the best loads a 308 is still capable for elk at 400 yards and deer out to 500 yards. A 3006 will add about 50 yards to that range and one of the 300 mags about another 50 yards over 3006.

Not many have the skills to shoot that far, I don't.

Unless Newton's Third Law has been repealed, and not even the SCOTUS can do that, the only way that that one of two two rifles both having the same mass can have have recoil differing by 25% is for the rifle with the 25% lesser recoil to be using ammunition in which the mass of the bullet plus the powder times the velocity is 25% less than that of the rifle with the greater recoil.

The perception of recoil can be mitigated by things like stock design and recoil pads etc., but the quantity of recoil is determined by Newton's Third Law.

For the record, I use and enjoy shooting rifles in both .30-06 and .308.

Drue

FN SBR .308 Win, or 300 WSM. You can find them for about $700.00. It is a Winchester Model 70 barreled action in a Hogue stock.

"...a day of 30-06 rounds..." Out of a bolt action that'll happen. Will with a .308 too. Virtually the same thing anyway. A .300 Mag will have you really suffering. Out of like weight rifles.
"...but that's $1 a round..." So is .308 and .30-06 unless you reload.
There's absolutely no game in North America that requires a magnum of any flavour. Magnum for hunt rifles are the most successful marketing campaign in manufacturing history and nothing more.
"...perception of recoil can be mitigated by..." Felt recoil can be managed by wide butt stocks, etc., but that Newton fellow wins every time, otherwise.
"...todays 308 loads are..." Pretty much the same as .30 M2(2800 FPS). .30-06 Winchester 150 PP's run about 100 FPS faster than .30 M2. 165's are at 2800 FPS. .308 150's are 2820 FPS . Same thing.
Go shopping and try a few rifles on for size. One of 'em will speak to you.

Ballistic difference between 308 and '06 isn't enough for anyone or anything to notice. One chooses the 308 for a more compact rifle.

The 300 Magnum has significantly more power. Does one need it? Vast majority of shooters do not. I have a 300 H&H rifle but only because I like saying 300 H&H.

I know...weird.

Boy I dunno--I think 300 win mag is great for reaching out there with a 30 cal and might not be as bad as you think and people make them out to be. I bought a savage 111 and did my own home-style stock job including a recoil pillar to the butt-stock--as well as adding a Kantrol brake, all of which make it noticeably tamer than without the mods. I wouldn't fire it for hours on end (too expensive anyway) but load development with ladders of 20 to 30 rounds spaced out are actually fun.

Another option might be moving down to something like 6.5 284--still a stopper and fairly flat shooting out to 1000 or so I think.

Never owned a .308, or a .300 winchester magnum, but My safe has always had a 30-06 in it.
My first one was a 700 adl with hard plastic butt plate, wasn't very fun developing loads for that rifle, but like some mentioned here that when taking game I never noticed any recoil, now I have the 700 sps and synthetic stock with a nice thick recoil pad and its a treatbto shoot.
I also use a shoulder shield like the captain's, only mine is a Caldwell P.A.S.T.
I also picked up an old 1903 Springfield this Saturday past, and I will be wearing the recoil shield for sure,,,it has a sporter stock, not original battle rifle configuration.

If this gun is "just for fun" and recoil is a problem, then you might consider a lighter cartridge. .204 Ruger is a heck of a fun round. .223 is relatively inexpensive and there's lots of rifles are chambered in it.

Back