The 3 cartridges you fire the most

9mm (duty and most off duty guns), 12 Gauge (home defense and trap), and probably a tie between .45 ACP (one off duty gun) and 5.56mm (AR caliber).

To answer the above question re: is .22LR still scarce in my area?

Kind of... depending on your view. I have still personally not seen a single bulk pack at a Wal-Mart and when the gun stores do have them they sell for $5-$6 higher than what I paid back before the drought, so my rollback of rimfire shooting is a conditioned response. When I first bought my GSG 1911-22, my goal was to shoot it to failure within the two year warranty period but I was 5,500 rounds in when Sandy Hook happened, and I have nearly a dozen other rimfire handguns that I also enjoy.

I still truly love shooting .22, but whereas the absolute routine was 400-500rds with every range trip, these days it's 100-200rds and that happens about once every other or every third trip.

It's not that my 9, .38 and .45 handloads are less expensive (they are NOT) but it's absolutely mental: I am able to make nearly unlimited center fire but every time I crack a pack of rimfire open it "feels" like I am opening up a can of food while living on a deserted island while my centerfire is fresh fruit hanging from a tree.

Absolutely mental.

The 3 that I've shot the most lately have been. 38 SPL 22 LR and 45 ACP. I've been really slacking with my rifles have to stop that..

For me it's .22LR, 7.62x54r, and 30-06. Even then I still shoot more than twice as much .22 as compared to the rest of my calibers combined.

Back