The 260 Rem is DEAD !!

RELOAD and become the master of your own ammunition supply. No longer be at the mercy of manufacturer's or what is stocked by a dealer....Empower yourself ....the feeling is wonderful. Make whatever you want , whenever you want and load up as many rounds as you desire.
It's not rocket science , if you can follow instructions it's a walk in the park.
Fun hobby too !
Gary

. the .308 can pack more energy (hunting consideration only)

Really? My 308 with a 168 amax produces 673ft lbs at 800 yds, while my 6.5 Cm will produce 892ft lbs at 800 yds with a 143 ELD-X, per applied ballistics. I don't know, perhaps I entered the data wrong.

Make whatever you want , whenever you want
As long as the powder and bullets are available. ;):D

Love those ELD X-s in 264--the only thing I gotta watch out for is the tips seem like they can crumble a bit if they run up against something in a semi-auto.

fourbore wrote:
Now, I have a choice, reload 260 or rebarrel ... I read some discussion around the 260 and no one actually came out and decalred [sic] the 260 dead.

Do people have to tell you a cartridge is dead before you can go to the store and look at the evidence all around you?

I would welcome you to the world of wildcatting, but the fact is the 260 still has factory support, just not a lot of selection. And you have a common case and the ability to form brass from other calibers if you choose to reload.

Yeah, you could rebarrel to 243, but if you wanted a 243 why did you buy a 260? I urge you to buy several boxes of factory ammunition, save the brass and then start reloading it. And as you get comfortable reloading it, get any necessary dies and start forming your own brass from cheap, readily available brass.

260 rem I've found is very easy to reload for and also cycles easily in an AR type semi-auto. Boom--reason enough to get one IMO. Or creedmoor, either one shoots extremely well--but creedmoor is going to be a tad more expensive when it comes to cases.

i just. got several hundred BHA match .308 once fired cases for picking them up after the black hats shot at our range, they form into 7mm-08 and .260 with out a hitch. hows that for cheap cases. eastbank.

Really? My 308 with a 168 amax produces 673ft lbs at 800 yds, while my 6.5 Cm will produce 892ft lbs at 800 yds with a 143 ELD-X, per applied ballistics. I don't know, perhaps I entered the data wrong.

He did state "hunting consideration". How many people are concerned about 800yd energy numbers for hunting? Personally I keep my shots under 500yds, well under if I can help it.

I understand that the cases are extremely similar. Looking at the dimensions leads me to wonder if a well qualified Smith can set your barrel back a few tenths and rechamber it.

6.5 creedmoor cases are made from 22-250 cases.

all you need is the 6.5 creedmoor reloading die and some 22-250 cases.

Voodoo, yes its based on the .30 TC.
the 22-250 isnt the best case to use because of the neck being smaller, the .243 win is more ideal as well as commercial Creedmoor brass.
There is more commercial loadings for the 6.5 Creedmoor now than at first, so brass hasnt been hard to get.
Im setting on a ton of once-fired .243 win brass, so Ive been testing it and so far its only hard on my hands, trimming and such.

If my Savage 16 all weather 260 is dead, where does that leave my M70 264 win mag and FN action 6.5x55? I reload so it doesn't really matter much to me what the caliber of the day is....

Nunya

Have we decided if it is dead yet?

As my old minister, reverend Jefferson Oakley always said, "as long as one person remembers and revered our passed brethren, they still live".

I swear that he was speaking about the .35 whelen.

It has died--but apparently a voodoo cult has succeeded in reviving it through a strange ritual called "night of the living cartridge."

For a dead cartridge, the US Army is certainly showing a lot of interest in it. Wouldn't that be something if the Army decides to make the .260 it's new cartridge to replace the 5.56.

^^^
Yep....Except, it's being considered as a replacement for the 7.62 NATO in the SWS, not 5.56.
About time the military got into the 21st century, at the same time I acknowledge the hurdles in needing common ammunition across NATO.

https://www.militarytimes.com/news/...g-at-a-new-6-5-mm-round-for-its-sniper-rifle/

They should ditch the 5.56 for the 6.5 Grendel as well, at least in the M4. Don't know how well it would adapt to the belt-fed M-249 though...

The 260 still has a nitch, it can match 6.5x55 power out of a short action while the CM is a hundered fps slower with 140s. I want a 260 simply so I can do something with all this 243 brass that I have laying around, I consider 6.5s vastly superior to 6mm for medium game hunting.

Yep....Except, it's being considered as a replacement for the 7.62 NATO in the SWS, not 5.56.
About time the military got into the 21st century, at the same time I acknowledge the hurdles in needing common ammunition across NATO.

They should ditch the 5.56 for the 6.5 Grendel as well, at least in the M4. Don't know how well it would adapt to the belt-fed M-249 though..

Actually, they do plan to replace the 5.56 with a new cartridge. Testing for a new cartridge is ongoing. The .260 Rem, .264USA, .277USA, 7mm UIAC and 6.5 Creedmoor seem to get the most press. The Grendel and 6.8 SPC were in the mix but you don't hear much about them now. Doubtful the Grendel would be picked due to feeding problems due to the shoulder angle on the case. Besides, they seem more interested in a larger cartridge. It may be a polymer based case as well. Trials for the new firearms are scheduled to start around 2020 with the new cartridge phased in around 2025. Will it actually happen? Who knows.

http://www.armytimes.com/news/your-army/2017/05/07/new-rifle-bigger-bullets-inside-the-army-s-plan-to-ditch-the-m4-and-5-56/

Back