Thanks Texas, Ohio, RI

Reguarding the VP slot .... I believe Bill had his eye on that. A Clinton / Clinton double ticket would be the way to go.
In that case, expect a call to amend the Constitution so that only more than two consecutive terms are barred. Then, the Clintons could hand off the presidency every 8 years until they die or the country revolts.
That call's already late, though, if Bill wants the VP slot anytime soon. Can't be Vice President if you're Constitutionally barred from being President. Which, of course, he is.

i dont think that this country is ready for a woman or a black president. if they do hook up on the same ticket they wont win. hillary has a better chance on her own but she'll still lose.

^ We would be if we had good choices offered to us! It's not that people don't want -a- woman or otherwise, it's that they don't want those two.

After looking into the numbers a bit it appears that given the number of delegates left that Hillary will have to get about 90-95% of the remaining delegates while Obama will have to get about 70-75% in order to clinch the nomination. Short some new bombshell or gaff by one of them I don't see either one pulling off those majorities.

It is going to go to the convention. And given the straight Democracy theme the Dems lean toward it will be chaos if the candidate with the popular vote doesn't get the nomination. Right now Obama is about 600,000 ahead in votes. Sounds like alot but it really isn't given that about 26 million votes were cast.

I can see Hillary playing the Reskin trial all the way up to full volume and if Obama has the guts we'll play the Chinese thing hard.

Hillary really does seem to be putting her ambitions ahead of the party. Enough bloodletting will only feed the Republicans. Obama is the stronger candidate of the two in the General Election. If she really wanted a Democrat in the White House she would have started backing him by now. If she tears into Obama and hobbles him in the General, or takes the nomination in back room arm twisting and promise peddling at the convention without the popular vote it hurts the Dems.

As the saying goes, never underestimate the Democrats ability to lose. It is all about personal ambition after all.

This may sound ludicris to some, but I wouldn't be surprised if Obama asked Oprah to be his VP if he gets the nom. Think of all the money they would have to campaign with. She is a very popular woman among women.

As the saying goes, never underestimate the Democrats ability to lose.

No joke.

It is all about personal ambition after all.

For her it almost certainly is at this point. I think he honestly is just a little bubble of hope and dreams and blah blah blah. I think if the roles were reversed he'd probably bow out or take the VP spot (if offered)...I don't think he'd hold out in the hopes that he could wrangle enough superdelegates to strongarm the win. Which is probably why of the two he's the one I'd most like to see given the shot; the old cliche about the kind of person who wants to be president isn't the kind of president we want, or however it goes. You're already hosed by the fact that you're limited to people willing to run, but Hillary is really going above and beyond in showing how important being (back) in the White House is to her.

But yeah, barring one or the other bowing out (I don't think she will and I don't think he should) it's not really a mathematical possibility for this to be decided going into the convention. So the superdelegates will choose the nominee on that day (and as I said elsewhere, I think that in general this is not a horrible outcome given a close enough race, and this one qualifies).

Going back-of-the-envelope, though, it looks like if primaries keep falling more or less the way they have been (not a horrible assumption) and the superdelegates who have already voice support don't switch (a little iffier, but let's go with it) she'd need to pull in the remaining superdelegates at like 2:1 to win. I just don't see it happening. I think for a variety of reasons (ranging from him being the stronger candidate to a lot of superdelegates being elected officials to everything in between) there's very little chance she's getting the nod.

And if she does? A McCain Presidency is a small price to pay to finally give the woman her shot and send her back to whatever she considers to be home nowadays. Heck, I'm not willing to say a McCain Presidency is any worse than Obama anyway (I'm definitely not excited about either one), so whatever.

More interesting is what effect this will have in the general. The hopeful side of me thinks maybe a nice spirited Democratic race for the nomination will lead to more Democratic-leaning voters being active and interested for the general, as I'm still not so convinced they're as polarized as some claim (I think most Clinton voters would vote for Obama in the end and vice versa). And while campaigning against each risks damaging the eventual nominee for the general, on the other hand it means the nominee will definitely have their game face on when they get the nod. McCain will probably have been coming off a nice nap by ten.

Back