TFL-MA Campout & Shootfest Report

• Thread starter Thread starter .
  • Start date Start date

Saturday Morning, 0700, 26JUN99. The Mid-Atlantic TFL participants rendezvoused in a parking lot just off I-81, in Virginia's famous Shenandoah Valley. Serendipitously, at that location there was a huge smoker/cooker fired-up and making smoked chicken halves for some benefit campaign that was to occur later in the morning. We all bought the first ones off the racks, and bought last minute items at what was to be the last outpost of civilization. Thereafter, we convoyed our 4x4s up the winding mountain roads, behind a very large and very slow cement truck. The inter-vehicle communications made the slow crawl behind the truck at worst an opportunity to quip on the funky look of the new Lincoln Town Cars, and at best an excellent opportunity to view the beautiful surrounding countryside from an eagle's perspective. Getting off the black top highway was effected as a right turn at an acute angle, uphill and on loose rock. Doing so gave all the immediate gratification which can only be realized when in a 4x4 under such circumstances. The gravel and dirt one-track road was bumpy with the jagged edges of rock outcroppings, potholes, the occasional fallen rock. Surprisingly enough, within the first mile, and in a small clearing off the track, was a glossy-black late-model Volvo station wagon with a trailer attached to it. On the trailer sat a fire-engine red Harley Davidson Soft-tail (model indeterminate). There's no need for lengthy commentary in order to share my thoughts as to these folks having IQ's on par with the barometric pressure reading of the day.

The 8 position range was in good shape and with only a few shooters when we arrived. It was a busy little range however, especially when at one point there were a total of 14 of us firing (some of us laying or sitting on the concrete pad between the benchrest table positions). After having shot the best 3-shot, 100-yd, .30-caliber group of my entire life, I figured things could only get worse from there and subsequently assumed the burdensome but much needed role of rangemaster. I loved it! I'd get goose-bumples and grin every time I bellowed out: "The Firing Line ® is READY." A morning of shooting builds a good appetite, so we stepped off the line for a few minutes to wolf-down some sustenance; that smoked chicken was the perfect pick-me-up. Another couple of hours of launching lead found us with a consensus to seek out our campsites.

A few miles further up the narrow and winding mountain road took us deep into the heart of nature at her finest. The excellent campsite coupled with outstanding camping companions made for a truly memorable outing. After setting up camp, we settled down and got to know each other a little better. Suddenly bowling pins appeared; as if by telepathy, everybody grabbed guns and ammo and proceeded to conduct the 1st TFL Bowling Pin Shoot. The sharp, snappy report of a 9mm Parabellum to the tree-shaking roar of a short-barrelled .45-70 Gov't were resounding preludes to the wild gyrations and conclusive displacement of the bowling pins in the "TFL Alley." Ammo spent, and another appetite built, it was back to the camp for a dinner that would rival those immortalized by Arlo Guthrie's song "Alice's Restaurant." The obligatory bonfire, telling of tales, watching a bright moon rise, a sprinkling of stars throughout the night sky, and a quaffing of favored beverages finally ended a continuously recreational and wonderfully fulfilling day.

Next morning, a French roast coffee and chicory mix, cooked to the consistency of "Watch Standing Coffee in the best Navy tradition," was lightened with an appropriate amount of cinnamon-hazelnut flavoring. Umm… mmmm… good! Café Du Monde in the French Quarter of New Orleans would have been proud of our concoction. It had much the same effect as hydrazine in a rocket engine - pure energy. As a result we all felt the need to move about and subsequently proceeded to scout-out the immediate area. We found another excellent shooting location, the landmark being a 25 foot vertical embankment that would lend itself well as the backstop for future rapid fire events. Back to camp, pack up, load-up and down the road we go. We stopped in at the range and spent another morning of shooting and generally having fun. Along towards noon we bid adieu and went our respective ways, each a richer person with a fuller life for the experiences and friendships shared. My 4-hour drive home gave me lots of time to reflect on how marvelous it was that a number of total strangers could come together from diverse places and backgrounds and share so many things in common. Yep, TFL certainly made it's contribution to my outlook on life!

------------------
Mykl
~~~~~
"If you really want to know what's going on;
then, you have to follow the money trail."
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

As one of the TFL members long on this trip, I certainly second Mykl's feelings about the success of this first (of many) TFL outings. I couldn't have found a better set of companions if I searched for months.

The shooting at the National Forest Service range was very enjoyable. It was a better range for a public range than I envisioned it would be - well laid out. Everyone got a chance to try out at least one new toy.

But the shooting turned out to be secondary to the good times we had at the camp site. Mykl found us a little piece of Shangri La next to a practically dead stream, we have had a serious drought in this part of the country. But it was obvious that that stream is a roaring river at times.

A couple of pickups went by our campsite towards the end of the day. Someone was heard to say, "Dang it! There's another one! This place is just getting too darned crowded. Time to move on!" Seriously, we couldn't have found a quieter place.

One of the highlights was the effort that went into getting a rope over a tree limb so that the food could be pulled up out of the reach of any marauding bears. This is normally a simple thing, but the limbs were so high, it took about 1/2 hour to accomplish it. An unfortunate casualty of this was one tent that got a hole in it from the rock with the string tied around it. Just more evidence that both Newton and Murphy are right - what goes up must come down ... right on top of the one thing that costs the most. As usual, duct tape came to the rescue.

After the bowling pin shoot, we had a very enlightening autopsy on two of the BP's. We recovered several slugs and discussed the ballistical merits of the various rounds. Unfortunately, the 45-70 slugs kept going and were never recovered. They would have been interesting.

As Mykl said, the time around the campfire was very pleasant as we swapped tall tales, a few jokes, and performed an in-depth analysis of two of Kentucky's finer products.

The next morning, I must admit I had some trepidation about trying the coffee Mykl made. I noticed he had to replace his spoon twice before he got it stirred up completely. But, it was honestly some of the best I have ever had, very flavorful. We did have to cut it a bit with hot water or we would have run out of utensils before long.

After breaking camp, we headed for the rifle range again to get in a little plinking. We saw a herd of golfs running around on the range and managed to shoot several of them in the ... They sure do bounce when hit there, I guess I would too!

The only downer for the entire trip was when we had cleared the range after resetting some targets - "Ready on the left? Ready! Ready on the right? Ready! BANG!". It seems some joker (he was called something else by us) had actually had a round chambered and ready to fire while people were at the targets! That was our cue to leave immediately and let him shoot his own kind.

To sum it all up, a great time was had by all.

Any ideas as to when and where the next one should be? Having seen what practice with a firearm can do (namely allowing the shooter to actually hit the target) I think I have a more realistic impression of what I need to do.
On another note, we were talking about an organization that provides lethal threat management training for civillians. Has anybody got contact info for this?

WHat a weekend! My wife and I went and had a great time. Well, she did say she got treated real nice....by the other guys! Seriously, she had a great time and says thanks to all for making her feel welcome. She even shot on Sunday (thanks Mal for the loan of the gun and the ammo.)
The other posts sum the weekend up real well, so I do not have much to add. We are planning to do others, and would love more company. Shooting, camaraderie, relaxation, and just plain old fashioned respect. What a way to spend time with others!!

Thanks to Mykl for making it happen!

T-Rex:

The school is Lethal Force Institute, website is www.ayoob.com

------------------
Freedom is not Free

[This message has been edited by ATM (edited June 30, 1999).]

Mykl, T-Rex, ATM/ATMette - It's been 3 months. It's about time for another before it gets too cold, don't you think? And maybe we can get more folks to join us this time.

Thought I'd resurrect this post to remind you how much fun we had.

Mykl, if we do have another go at it, be sure to bring the coffee! I'll bring the OGD.

[This message has been edited by Mal H (edited September 27, 1999).]

Mal, ATM, T-REX, Walkin'Man, hksigwalther, AlanR, Kampalin, and ANY other TFL'r within a few hours (or reasonable to )driving distance of Harrisonburg, VA:

We're gonna do it again!

Two weekends are looking good: Halloween & Columbus Day (latter is a 3-day'er fer us Gummit war dogs).

Zap me an email if you're interested, and lemme know your druthers for dates, in priority. Once we have consensus as to when, then the details will start falling into place pretty quickly.

May have to consider sending an advance quartering party to secure the bivouac!

------------------
Mykl
~~~~~

Update: Columbus Day is out for me...
Gotta chase beach bunnies...
So, I plan to wear my TFL costume!

"Gotta chase beach bunnies..." Hmm, maybe we could change the location of this get together. :) Please, don't throw me in that briar patch!

For me this may be a blessing in disguise. My wife's birthday is Oct 10. I've been working up the courage to ask her if she minded if we just skip it this year - ouch! oooch! ouch!

Also, there is a gun show that weekend and they are getting fewer and far between in this area.

I'm good to go for almost any other weekend.

Halloween sounds real good. I need a vacation from all the buses that pull up and offload the kids for a candy run. AND I have a new rifle to check out, lets go!! The more the merrier. Terri says that includes wives/SO's!

Maybe the chicken man will be at the parking lot again?

Anybody got a line launcher? My arm still hasn't recovered, :o :D

------------------
Freedom is not Free

[This message has been edited by ATM (edited September 28, 1999).]

Terri will no doubt be pleased to know that other females will be there to assist in the triage after the boulder toss event...<big grin>

I'll be there with bells on. And holsters, and magazine pouches, and shooting glasses....Haloween sounds like fun to me. We can bring some pumpkins for " terminal ballistics testing".

Hey, good idea!

We can roast the pumpkin bits in the bonfire!
Ummm... just remember to pick out the heavy metal bits.

Any body got a digital camera? I'd like to bequeath to TFL a pictoral review of the relative effects of 10mm Black Talon vs .45acp Black Talon on a gel-injected pumpkin.

------------------
Mykl
~~~~~

Sorry, I don't have one. You could get some good "before" pictures, but would there be anything left for an "after" picture?

Nope, not yet, but my Paperport scanner does a decent job with standard photos-- just send 'em snail mail, along with some .45 BT for personal testing.... :D

------------------
Will you, too, be one who stands in the gap?

Matt

This might be a dumb question, but is there a highly expandable (a la Black Talon) bullet that would work well in a 45-70? It's not that you'd really need one, but the effect would be cool. I've shot regular hollowpoints, but if there's something better.... ;)

[This message has been edited by T-Rex (edited October 07, 1999).]

T-Rex,
It's a good question - just in the wrong forum. Please post your question in "The Art of the Rifle" forum.

Thanks.

Hey Teddy Rex,
Also consider pasting it into the Reloading Forum, I'd be interested in how 200gr ashtrays work in this cartridge.. if at all.

I'm gonna bring some of the 405-gr Xpress loads for "others" to shoot, and some wimpy "Cowboy" cast loads with which I too can make noises.

Sorry 'bout that post's location guys. I got carried away thinking about pumpkins, and before I knew it I was trying to think or a way to transfer the most energy possible to the taget. I reposted it in the proper forum.

Any other ideas for a potential test medium? One thing's for sure though, we're gonna have to bring some golf balls again. That was a blast.

T minus two weeks & counting for the
Second Mid-Atlantic TFL Campout & Shootfest (aka MATFLCS-II = mat-flicks-too).

Plan is basically same as before, except this time we need a volunteer scouting/quartering party to establish & hold our bivouac (campsite fer U non-GI types) location until others arrive. This is in anticipation the hunting season.

All interested parties contact me via email.
All persons that expressed interest or attended MATFLCS-I will automatically be contacted by me.

------------------
Mykl
~~~~~

Back