tested a couple powders, 223 with Hrn 75g match

Been looking for h4895, benchmark, and varget for close to a year. No luck so far
I’m getting a little low on H4895 as well, down to about 4lbs. The good thing is I have about 10lbs of Varget which shoots so close to H4895 in my rifle that I should be good for a couple more years. I’m trying to develop a load for my 62gr bullets with H335 to save my remaining H4895 for the 68gr bullets, I have close to 16lbs of H335 on hand so if it works out I’m golden for a long time to come.

I’m getting a little low on H4895 as well, down to about 4lbs. The good thing is I have about 10lbs of Varget which shoots so close to H4895 in my rifle that I should be good for a couple more years. I’m trying to develop a load for my 62gr bullets with H335 to save my remaining H4895 for the 68gr bullets, I have close to 16lbs of H335 on hand so if it works out I’m golden for a long time to come.
Cfe223, at hornady 223 max, got me up to 2947fps with 62s, a result i was quite happy with. Still 0.3 more i could go with hornadys 5.56 max. Need to test for a consistent load, that will be next range outing.

Interesting that your ES/SD increased by so much with BLC-(2). I use the same powder and 75 grain Hornady. I am loading the same 26 grain charge you tested with a bit more velocity, CCI 450, Lake City 2021 cases all from the same batch, 22 inch barrel. My spreads are much lower. SD was 9fps if memory serves me correctly. You are correct though that the 26 grain charge of BLC-(2) is compressed at standard mag length for an AR, but only slightly in my cases. With my bolt gun though I am loading a little longer.

Are all of your Lake City cases from the same batch? Maybe my longer barrel and 223 Rem chamber are why my spread is so much better, but who knows.

Interesting that your ES/SD increased by so much with BLC-(2). I use the same powder and 75 grain Hornady. I am loading the same 26 grain charge you tested with a bit more velocity, CCI 450, Lake City 2021 cases all from the same batch, 22 inch barrel. My spreads are much lower. SD was 9fps if memory serves me correctly. You are correct though that the 26 grain charge of BLC-(2) is compressed at standard mag length for an AR, but only slightly in my cases. With my bolt gun though I am loading a little longer.

Are all of your Lake City cases from the same batch? Maybe my longer barrel and 223 Rem chamber are why my spread is so much better, but who knows.
So my LC are sort of mix and match. I considered sorting by weight however I was not feeling it at the time and just sorted out 100pcs with the same year LC 19, and put them in a reloading box.

As far as the brass goes it was once fired when I got it and it was in fairly rough shape smashed case mouths big dings in the shoulders and sides of cases. From what I was told it had most likely gone through a belt fed machine gun... I selected brass with none to minimal case dings for my batch of 100. Did a wet tumble, full length small base resize and trimmed. some of the brass was a touch hard to size, seemed a little bloated if that makes any sense.

One other note, I did put a firm crimp on these using the lee factory crimp die. I do the same for all my ammo going through ARs. Not sure how that would effect SD/ES, but it is something to consider. and something I need to test at some point.

I did notice a lot of soot on the brass after firing. Filthy dirty, not really sure what that indicates but it seemed a bit inconsistent with some of my other loads. I am hoping to get an annealer this summer. that might help things a bit.

Your longer barrel may be giving you better consistency. I have done some testing with my 38spl snubbie in relation to powder burn rates and consistency. what I found is that, faster powders provide less velocity, but burn more consistently. while powders that provide the best velocity, often have high SD and ES due to not fully burning in the barrel.

As I understand it compressing powders can also slow the burn rate which could account for the less consistent velocities as well.

But over all I am happy with the 25.2g loading. The velocity is within the acceptable range for what I was trying to accomplish.

I’d suggest lose the crimp. I used to crimp all my AR ammo, but after trying without a crimp I had a noticeable increase in accuracy and have never had any problems with enough neck tension. But, I also size first with a body sizing die followed by neck sizing with a Lee collet die. I’ve also turned the necks and anneal on a regular basis. I use nothing but LC brass and I do not bother sorting them. I have developed two loads for 55gr and 62gr bullets that shoot sub MOA consistently, and two loads for 68gr bullets that are 3/4 MOA or under pretty consistently. I’ve also loaded up ten dummies in all the bullets and cycled them manually several times through my AR’s and have had no setback or change in concentricity.

Back