Ten Years Ago and Today

• Thread starter Thread starter Q
  • Start date Start date

Q

Ten years ago today, "cornered rat" and his parents escaped from Russia.

Congratulations, Oleg!

Today, he got to shake John Lott's hand. Kinda fitting, ain't it?

=Q=

May 23 will be 10th anniversary of our arrival to the US. I plan to give my parents guns of their own, with the text of the 2nd engraved on the receivers.

Any suggestions on where I can get laser engraving and turn-around/costs? Thanks.

I know that single-action wheelguns would be classic Americana, but my parents are barely capable of operating a simpler standard DA. I do not have the budget or the writ from our Benevolent Masters to get them clasic Thompsons...

Any suggestions? I am thinking 1911, but my mother's hands are not up to it. .22 kit gun? Anything?

How about a nice lever action rifle? That big 'ol slabsided reciever would give plenty of space for some beautiful engraving. Winchester 9422 maybe?

Winchester 9422 is a .22, right? Is it the kind I see for about $280 new? Is it scope-ready? How hard is take-down for cleaning? (for that, a bolt like a 77/22 would be ideal)
How much would engraving the text of 2nd Amendment run? Any recommended places to get it done?

As for liking my new homeland...I am happy tobe here....but I am disappointed with generally servile and passive behavior...thank god for folks like you.

------------------
If you believe in freedom and means of protecting it...you might be a gun nut.
http://ddb.com/RKBA

How about a S&W Model 66 - Stainless Steel, (low maintenance) in a 2 &1/2" bbl with say...38spl +P+?

Good house gun, great trigger/concealable & it's got sights ! :)

------------------
"The Gun from Down Under !"

Cornered Rat, Congrats on the Escape, I repete the others, In that I wish more of the home grown Americans were half the Patriot you are.
As To the weapons I'd stick with a .22 rifle I think the 77/22 or other Bolt Rifle would be a good choice. The 9422 is a excellant rifle but a little complicated In the works.
As to engraving I'll do a little checking, in the mean time. Ask George in the Smithy He can probably help.

Cornered Rat,

Welcome to America, I am proud of our diversity and also disappointed in the servile masses. It is my fervent hope that both of us live to see our great grandchildren in an environment of greater personal responsibility and freedom. Hope that you find things better here, and that things begin to improve.

------------------
Ni ellegimit carborundum esse!

Yours In Marksmanship
http://www.1bigred.com/distinguished

michael

Congratulations cornered rat - and Q and all you "americanas y americanos del norte" that despite your 'servile masses' keep a corner in the world where others can go when they must... may you never take it for granted and please keep up the good fight to preserve it so!
Now what could be more american than either a revolver or a lever action rifle! (that should narrow the choices a bit)

------------------
Member NRA (life), SASS (life 'El Chimango Pete' #20037), Muzzle Loaders, other clubs in Argentina. Firearms Instructor
On ICQ "Buzzard-Pete"

[This message has been edited by Elchimango (edited February 20, 1999).]

cornered rat, congratulations as well!

We are fortunate to have you here, and I am glad you are a fellow American. Hope to buy you a drink someday.

Thanks for your great web site.

Thank you, again, for encouragement. I would say that the most American tools would be a 50bmg or a 30bmg or a (real) BAR or a 1911 or a Hi-Power or an Auto 5 or anything else (even a Baby .25) by the John "me, genius?" Browning.

However, my parents not being into complex guns, I can see arguments for something simpler. They have, for example, a distinct preference for a Glock over a Makarov, because the Glock has simpler manual of arms.

I think a 77/22 would be a possibility, along with a 2x36 or so scope (does ANYONE still make rifle or shotgun scopes that are fixed low magnification, say 1x or 2x with decent light gathering?)

However, my father is not into rifles, so a Ruger Mk2 stainless with a scope might be the ticket. Too bad single-action revolvers are out, too complex to operate. A S&W 617 might work, too.

Neither of them likes noise or recoil, so .22 might be a good choice. OTOH, I can see an argument for a 4" S&W66, so they can get used to having a defensive gun that is their own, rather than a loaner.

Folks, your good wishes help. A year ago, before I found out that I was not alone, life got quite depressing. Now, I see the many others with a common cause and the wits and energy to make good on it.

And thanks to Q for posting this (and for providing me with a big studio softbox which I am using right now to photograph her purrrr-ty stainless PPK/s).

Yours,

Cornered Rat

PS: If you ever make it to my part of the world, stop by our burrow. Coffee will be provided. Heck, I'd be good for some partying, should the right people show up (like that fella with Ma Deuce on his truck, for "poodle hunting", right?)

[This message has been edited by cornered rat (edited February 20, 1999).]

cornered rat, all i can say is look at the above post as i share their sentiments.
Welcome!!!!

------------------
fiat justitia

longhaircsa@netscape.net

[This message has been edited by longhair (edited February 20, 1999).]

Cornered rat Welcome to the US of A
My mother came from Moscow in 1941 with 3 sisters and 3 brothers.Big family.

------------------
Justice for one,Justice for all.

Cornered Rat is sitting here asking me, "How the heck did she get out? Lucky!"

Some of his relatives were either in the Russian Army or "becomming soap at the time."

=Q=

Congrats. CR. We are glad you and yours are here. As to the correct firearm for your parents, I have no real idea. Since I am sometime too much of a smartmouth, I was going to suggest a PPsH 41. ;) If you went with a S&W, the custom shop offers laser engraving. Pretty inexpensive as I remember.

Back