Tempt and torment me with your rust-bluing pics and stories.

I have rust blued several firearms, no handguns though. I use Laurel Mountain Forge and have had excellent results. I do not use a steam cabinet, simply hang parts in bathroom and steam it up a bit with hot shower.

The Mak very looks nice indeed, but I once saw a revolver that had been rust blued and it came out like a dark olive/graphite colour with a matt finish. That has been my benchmark ever since!!

Time stood still when I saw that on my screen. :D

I did a bit of rust bluing on old barrel for an 1851 Colt. Click here to view the progression from start to finish

01.jpg

_D7K1584.jpg

Bill DeShivs said:
No, it's not.
I'm going to guess that you are relying on 18 U.S. Code 922(k)

18 U.S. Code § 922 - Unlawful acts
(k) It shall be unlawful for any person knowingly to transport, ship, or receive, in interstate or foreign commerce, any firearm which has had the importer’s or manufacturer’s serial number removed, obliterated, or altered or to possess or receive any firearm which has had the importer’s or manufacturer’s serial number removed, obliterated, or altered and has, at any time, been shipped or transported in interstate or foreign commerce.
Although the language of this section does say "importer's ... serial number," I have always been given to understand that the government's interpretation is that any marking required by law (serial number, name and location of manufacturer, name and location of importer) cannot be removed or obliterated once applied.

See also: http://www.atf.gov/content/firearms/firearms-industry/guides/firearms-verification-overview

Carding?

Please expand on carding. How and with what?
Very rough paper towel, 0000 steel wool (is there a finer grade?)

Lee Jones(Celtgun)

Back