Tell me why...

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
...single-action smokewagons come with a fired case? (For MD & MA requirements, I know...)

Do a lot of folks cap someone with a Vaquero and then, standing at the scene of the crime, open the loading gate and punch out some empties for the detectives to scrutinize? :confused:

On top of that, my dual cylinder .40/.38-40 Vaquero shipped with a fired .38-40 case! Given that .40 ammo is widely available and cheap, and that Winchester .38-40 usually needs to be special ordered and costs on the north side of $30/box, which is more likely to be used to perpetrate a crime?

The world wonders...

Tamara,

Take a deep breath...There.

Not everything makes sense. Sometimes, you just have to shake your head and let it go...

A buddy of mine bought a Ruger SP 101 and it also had a spent case in the box with the weapon. Made me wonder too.

Jeez, I'm still trying to figure out if a blade on the end of my chinese sks makes it too deadly to own, or makes me more likely to shoot up a daycare.

New government regs. demand that you leave a least one empty case at the scene of any crime you may commit with a gun. They also demand you leave a nice clear thumbprint (black ink only) on a 3x5 card at the scene, under the case is prefered.

I've seen fired cases supplied with military rilfes.

To prove the headspace isn't excessive, I always thought.

Not having bought a new SA revolver in way too long, I didn't know they came that way.

I really have to get out more often.

I've been kind of annoyed by it myself. I've been told that the shell casing law is pretty useless anyway (change the firing pin or shoot about 500 rounds and the signature will change) but a revolver?!

I live in MD where we have that stupid law. Even if the signature is always good on autos I don't get why they are including revolvers in the law. How many revolvers do you know of that leave spent shell casings at the scene of a shooting:rolleyes: ? In MD we can't buy guns that the manufacturer doesn't send a shell casing to the MD state police. A year ago many guns and manufacturers were not on the approved list because they weren't bothering. At the time I was thinking about a certain Single Action Colt SAA clone but it wasn't on the list. Image, the state not allowing me to buy a SAA clone because the company didn't supply a shell casing:mad: ! Luckily, now most send a casing and I've been told that they do currently allow the gunshop (with a state policeman watching) provide the test casing by firing the gun at the police range (though I'm told this is only temporary and is subject to change with no warning).

Mike,
The case "print" from a gun is supposed to be as accurate" in identifying the gun from which it was shot from, as a bullet or barrel print. Forsensic's guys and the justice system can use it as evidence in court in shooting cases...and to top it off, its another case of the Gobmint holding your p*n*s while we go potty too.

Shoot well

Gun control laws don't generally make sense, but this one really takes the cake. For example:

I thought this law was to assist in forensically connecting guns used in crimes with thier spent cases - these cases are sent to some state agency for filing in some library in those state requiring it. So shouldn't revolvers come with 6 spent cases? (or whatever number thier capacity) Afterall, each cylinder chamber will leave a different forensic "fingerprint."

:rolleyes:

Spent casings with new guns ain't evidence of stoopidity on the part of anti-2's. It is evidence of how they think long term.

The spent casing provision required both the state and manufacturer to set up the infrastructure to maintain and access the information.

You and I and the anti-2's know good and well the forensics of a casing can be changed with a new cylineder, barrel, or pin in the case of a wheel gun. With a slide gun you change the barrel, pin, extractor and ejector with the same effect.

Down the road the anti-2's will say, "We just didn't go far enought. Those unapprehended felons (gun owners) are sneaky and evil. They just change spare parts and circumvent the law. What we gotta do is now crack down on spare parts."

Presto chango, the system is in place and now we control not only the sale of completed guns but also the manufacture, sale, and distribution of parts.

Clever, huh ?

One nice thing is the little envelope it comes in gives you a "born on date" for your gun. For example I know that my new Bird's Head Vaquero was test fired on 10/17/01. Where else would I be able to obtain such info? Plus, as a reloader, who can't use an extra piece of brass? I do agree that the idea of finding a casing from a single action is ludicrous at best.

The case with my Ruger was, as per usual, stored in a little brown envelope. The only problem was that the envelope had got caught between the heavy gun and the rigid box once or twice during shipping and now the once-fired piece of .38-40 brass looks like it has been fired from a G3. Multiple dents and the case mouth is almost smooshed flat. I'm sure it would have been terrifically useful in determining who had bought a Special Edition wheelgun chambered in an oddball obsolete caliber, special-ordered a box of $35 ammo, capped someone with it, then calmly stood around and popped out some empties before fleeing the scene. You could barely tell what caliber this fired case was, and any useful markings on it from the chamber and breechface are kind of obscured by the less-useful markings made in shipment by the gun butt and the sides of the box...

Back