Tell me about the SMLE I just bought, pics

Aside from the fact that some of us dont know that a square is always a rectangle but a rectangle doesnt have to be a square even though they are both quadrilaterals which are 4 sided polygons.

I interpreted the test to be that the No.4 should be about a 1.5 MOA rifle when approved by her majesty. My No.5 would likely fail that test miserably. Hop the No.4 will prove to be a better shooter.

Sounds about right. But remember that's the absolute worst case that gets out the door. Those are "pass/fail" points only. Many are better.

The only thing I remember about "The King" from school, was that we won that war.

You are thinking about a different King!! England or the UK as they like to be called, has had many Kings.

Jim

There were a whole bunch of young Yanks won that war with us! Thousands of them, long before I came to live in the USA, no one could say a wrong word about Americans, Black/White, or striped!

I was 8 years of age, when those big shiny booted soldiers filled the bar in my Dads Pub, Prescot, 8 miles from the Liverpool Docks.

Then one day, all gone. They had gone to make sure I would live.

I had a Jungle Carbine, when I lived in Ontario, Canada, like new.

My recently arrived from England Cousin, asked to borrow it (going hunting with some new friends) it could group 2" at 50 yards.

He fired corrosive WW11 ammo, left it in the trunk of his car, for a week wet!
I said keep it. Never saw him again.

Last edited:
In my experience with the LE #4s

The mid 1950s British were the best.
The Canadian Long Branch second.
The Savage third.
Above all good.
Any wartime Brit stuff eehhh :)

The 1953,54 and 55 Brit Fazakerly's (sp) I owned were spectacular.

Back