Tell me about Hodgdon Titegroup.

FoghornLeghorn

For handgun cartridges. 44 mag: 220 grain plated at 44 special velocities. 357 mag: 148 BBWC at 38 special +p velocities. 45 ACP 230 grain loads. 9mm 124 grain plated loads.

I currently use Unique powder. Also 2400 for loads a bit stiffer than the above.

How does the Hogdon meter out of the dillon square deal?

Etc.

I like Titegroup in .45acp and .38Spcl. Consistent. Meters well. Clean burning with normal power loads, but not so clean on reduced powder puff loads. Doesn't seem to be temperature sensitive. For .45acp I've settled on a load of 3.5 grains using the following bullets. 200 grain LSWC, 185 grain LSWCHP, and 230 grain FMJ. In the .38Spcl and 9mm I use 3.2 grains of Titegroup and 125 grain LTC bullets, which makes a nice light recoil out of my 4 inch heavy barreled revolver. Be advised, with these light loads, it's possible to double charge a large capacity case, so be careful.

Titegroup is one of my favorite powders . I’m sure there’s better in the same burn rate but it was the first fast powder I ever used , it worked so I kept using it . I use it in 38spl , 357 , 45 acp , 9mm and soon 44mag .

First thing I say is it’s not best when pushing heavy bullets for cartridge and I recommend against pushing it hard . It seems to get a bit squarely at the top end especially if you are pushing heavies in a high pressure round.

Second , its a heat hot burning powder . It heats up a barrel quite fast and there has been chatter about it not being best for lead bullets do to it’s high heat burn . So I don’t use it for my lead bullets but would if push came to shove .

It metters really well in my Hornady powder measure as well as my Lee auto drum and auto disc . This leads me to think it would do just fine in most powder measures . I will add that the tall cases like 357 and small charges are hard to visually see when running a progressive so keep an eye on that .

It is not position sensitive in the case so it does just fine in large cases with low charges .

All in all it’s a good economical powder and I try to keep a few pounds on hand at all times due to its versatility , hell there’s even 308 Winchester loads using it .

Last edited:
Great metering powder. Once throw is dialed in it is very consistent. I’ve used it in 380acp, 38sp, 45acp and light loads in 357. One of my favorite but on the back burner due to 8 lbs of Beye I’m cranking through now.

Try some, you’ll like it.

I have only used it in 45 Colt with 255 grain home-cast bullets. Makes very nice target loads at 850 fps. Flat base cast bullets, I've had no problems with excess heat or leading. But I'm not fanning the gun either.

It burns very hot and some lead bullet manufacturers recommend not using it.
It hasn't been very accurate in my guns and I find 231/HP38, Bullseye, AA2, and Red Dot to be much better choices in .32 S&W L, .38 Spl., .40S&W, and .45 Auto. In 9x19, I stick with powders slower than AA5 for accuracy (though some Bullseye shooters are getting accuracy out of their custom 9x19s with Bullseye I can only dream of).
Whereas I can average groups of 1.25-1.40" at 25 yards with Power Pistol and Silhouette, Titegroup gives me average groups of 2.3-3.1" with various 124gn JHPs.

I use TG in my 9mm with 124 grain later and jacketed bullets. These are mid-range loads, not hot. It meters well and gives good accuracy. I have used it with .357 loads but prefer HP38.

Excellent powder with a huge load range. Just be careful with it as it is very dense and the color of soot - so it hides in the case.

In addition to what has already been said, small charges of Tightgroup are not position sensitive and lights very easily.

One negative, though it's just nonsense, a number of keyboard ballistic engineers will tell you it's too dangerous and say Tightgroup will turn your pistol into a bomb, yada yada, yada. The truth is, any fast burning pistol powder can be overloaded and ruin your day. You need to be careful with your reloading technique and avoid double or overcharging. Again, it's not any different than the requirements for other fast burning powders.

I use quite a bit of TG. It is very versatile and economical.

It is pretty good for mid range loads.

The reputation for being a kaboom powder comes from the density, low charge weight required and color. It generally fills a smaller percentage of case volume than most other other powders. In some cases the difference is significant. This can make it easier to miss a double charge in some loads.

The risk is probably worse with a progressive press than it is with a loading block. I use a loading block and take extra care when using this powder.

Also, it attacks the plastic in some powder measures. I always empty my RCBS measure immediately after using TG.

Loading block: I have read too many instances of someone missing a low charge/no charge with loading blocks and having a disaster. Plus I managed to spill almost a whole loading tray ONCE.
For me, I prefer to drop the charge, inspect that charge, and if OK, immediately seat the bullet. If you can inspect a loading tray, you can easily inspect individual cases.
It has worked perfectly for me for well over 40 years. Find what works for you.
Always inspect each charged case by eyeball or RCBS lock-out die or both on a progressive press

I like Titegroup for 9mm, loaded on a Square Deal, as it's cheap, and it works.
In a pinch, it would probably work OK in most calibers, but I'd go with something slower-burning if I needed one powder for a wide range of cartridges.

I use the Lee CTP and the Lee auto drum to throw my powder for most all handgun reloading . However when loading 357 and using Titegroup . I actually pull out my stand alone Hornady powder measure and through the charge into a 40cal case . I visually inspect the charge and height in the 40cal case . Then dump in into the funnel/flare through die on the press . I was just having to much trouble seeing the charge in the tall 357 case even with a nice light on the press . This allows me to visually inspect the charge all be it in a different case lol . It takes a bit more time but well worth the piece of mind .

I prime off press so when I start to load the cases they are already primed . I remove the depriming rod and this allows me to size a primed case . I did try throwing directly into the 357 case and it works fine but even then it's hard to see exactly the fill height . Putting it into a smaller case first is much easier to judge the amount of powder . YMMV

In addition to what has already been said, small charges of Tightgroup are not position sensitive and lights very easily.
Actually I find a very small charge of Tightgroup (2.9 grains, .38 special case, Fed. Sm. pistol printer) under a 130 grain cast bullet is position sensitive...in that if I quickly bring the gun from low ready in an inward arc and thrust it forward to fire (as I do when competing in my local club's falling plate matches), I will get a light report, whereas all the other five rounds have a normal loud report. What I think is happening is that the movement from arc to forward and then a sudden stop, makes the powder in the case move forward to the base of the bullet. In short, TiteGroup is posistin sensitive under certain conditions despite the maker, et. al. claiming otherwise.

Another issue I have had with Titegroup is when used with Powder Coated (RAL 5015, Sky Blue and similar) bullets, the powder apparently deteriorates resulting in squib loads. I have gotten around that issued by storing my loaded rounds primer end down until taken out to the range to be fired. However, squibs may not happen if there was more TiteGroup in the case to begin with...I have not tested any heavier load than 2.9grains/130 cast bullet. Nevertheless, I suspect that loads with heavier charges would likely yield variations in velocity if not squibs.

I'm using it right now in .32 Mag with HBWC. I use .32 S&W L. load data and since this powder isn't position sensitive, it works just like normal with the longer Mag case. I also plan to use it with .38 Special wadcutters whenever Berry's starts making those again.

Besides that, I don't much care for it in revolvers. Have tried it in .45 ACP in a Ruger Redhawk and wasn't impressed like I have been with my Bullseye handloads. I'll have to try it in .40 and 10mm and see how it does with them, but in the .45 calibers, meh. I've gotten much better results with 700x and Unique.

I found Titegroup was less "position sensitive" in .38 Special than Win 231 but more than 700X. 700X is kind of a pig to measure, though. I didn't have any Bullseye on hand at the time to compare, but it has been a light load powder for 120 years.

People who like it, love I personally felt it was finikey in that the difference in charge weight was very slight, like .3 gr. in 200 gr .45 acp.. Just kinda made me nervous. also seemed smoky and i didn't the smell after firing. ended giving away 3/4 of a lb. to friend who swears by it.

I use TG for 32SWL, 9mm and 38spl; haven't tried it yet in 45ACP. Also use Bullseye and Universal and have used Unique - all with great success.

FITASC wrote:
I use TG for 32SWL,...

I tried Titegroup in .32 S&W Long, got good results. But, a guy I shoot with occasionally suggested Winchester WST, so I gave it a try. Cleaner and a bit better accuracy. I shoot light loads in the .32 SWL, 1.5 grains of WST and 98 grain HBWC.

Back