Tell me about a Mosin-Nagant

Hey guys, I bought one! Here's what I posted in the rifle section;

Just paid $129 yesterday at a gun show in NC for a Russian M44 Carbine (1948 vintage). I was able to inspect the bore (which appears very good), good condition laminated stock, matching stamped numbers (bolt, receiver, butt plate, etc). Had a bunch of cosmo in/on it.

The $99 M44's were not as nice, electric penciled numbers, not matching, etc. I wasn't interested in the 91/30's. There were others cheaper, but the condition was worse as well.

I bought a case (440) of 7.62 x 54R "light" (148 grain?) corrosive Polish ammo in a spam can (1968?) for $85. Ammo is steel copper plated bullets, steel copper washed cases. Upon opening the spam can I found the ammo to be in excellent condition, neatly paper wrapped and string tied.

I also purchased a rubber butt pad that replaces the metal one (matching screw holes) and lengthens the stock about 1". It feels really good on the short M44 Carbine. It was only $14.95. Here's the link, you just have to scoll down to three from the bottom. http://www.tickbitesupply.com/mos.html

Bottom line, I feel I paid a fair price for a good condition Russian M44. I cleaned the bore last night and it looks perfect, no rust, pitting, sharp rifling, etc. I didn't gauge the muzzle cause I don't have a gauge. Guess I could have done the old bullet trick, but the rifling was strong so I expect it to be very good. Muzzle had been re-crowned.

Should be at the Range in the next day or two. Will let you know what I think. $215 for the setup ($230 with the cushioned butt plate) is pretty good in my book.

And today (12/29);

Was at the Range today. My M44 did pretty well at 100 yds. Almost all rounds were 2" left, some high, some low. Was slightly more left with the bayonnet extended.

I'll do a little drifting and go back. I'll then use a rest. Looks like it's about a 2"+ group rifle at 100 yds with the Polish ammo.

Not bad. I'm happy. I can work with this.

The muzzle blast is really comical . I'll need to shoot at twilight to get the full effect. Oh, and the recoil pad?... works wonderful:D.

between the 91/30 and the M44 is the M38 which has a folding bayonet attached to the right side.

Contrary to normal Soviet doctrine, there was (is) no bayonet on the M38.

My M44 did pretty well at 100 yds. Almost all rounds were 2" left, some high, some low. Was slightly more left with the bayonnet extended.

FWIW, M44s were originally sighted with the bayonet extended, and most shoot better that way. Yours is the first I've heard that didn't. It might be the ammunition, though.

As I've read here, the bayonets were only folded for storage, transport, etc.

Back