Tell me about .41 Magnum

Nightcrawler

What revolvers can I get in this cartridge? I know of two Taurus Revolvers, the custom Dan Wesson, and the Ruger Blackhawk, but is that it?

For some reason, this cartridge has me infatuated, even though I've never fired a revolver, muchless a .41 Magnum. It's just different enough to strike my fancy; I'll admit, I've got a thing for having unique guns, or at least, guns that you don't see every day.

Now, normally, when selecting a revolver catridge (or thinking about one, anyway) I'd consider compatibility with a lever carbine to be important, but sadly, there are no lever carbines in .41 Magnum. That's not really a big deal, I suppose. I could simply get a Guide Gun in .45-70, and have THAT be my lever carbine. :D

So, who has experience with .41 Magnum? How does it compare to .357 Magnum and .44 Magnum?

*&* M657 Mountain Gun....

If you can find one, I'd recommend the .41Mag MG. It's really nice looking, a great shooter, and it's pre-agreement. You could also go for a used copy of the M57, M58, or other M657.;)

The .41Mag was developed to be a police duty round with more power than the .357Mag. However, it had a little TOO much power for most :rolleyes: and never gained the favor of police. It is an excellent round with a flat trajectory - kind of like the 10mm auto pistol round. It has a very loyal following, of which I'm a member.

You can get defensive ammo like Winchester 175gr Silvertip or CorBon 170gr JHP. For hunting, CorBon offers two rounds - 210gr JHP @ 1325fps/850fpe and 250gr HardCast @1325fps/975fpe, Federal has a 250gr CastCore @ 1250fps/865fpe. Of course, other ammo makers like Remington offer this caliber also.

Get that .41Mag. You won't be disappointed.

I think Marlin offered an 1895 CS (SC?) in 41. They're very tough to find and very pricey these days. I always thought a pump action Timberwolf in 41 would rock. Unfortunately, the last one of those I saw was YEARS ago and the quality sucked. Disappointing for an Israeli gun. I own a Model 58. Wish I could find another one in as good a condition...

Tis a shame that they hung the "Magnum" on the name. As a .41 S&W or sumpin like that it would probably have had a lot more law enforcement acceptance. A bit more power than the .357mag and a lot less recoil and muzzle jump than a .44mag at full tilt, in equall weight and shape guns.

Without law enforcement acceptance it just never got popluar. Those few who have tried it almost universally love it. Another hurdle to it's acceptance is the lack of a cheap low power alternate sister cartridge..........like .38spec/.357mag and .44spec/44mag.

I would love to have a 3" L frame blue steel 5 shot snub in .41mag.

Sam

Greeting's All,

My experience with the .41 Magnum came at a time
when Smith & Wesson's model 57 and 58 were gaining
in popularity.:D My model 57 was the 4" model, that I purchased NIB (mahogany presentation case).
This was the first handgun I ever handloaded for;
using Sierra's 170 grain jacketed hollow cavaity
bullet's, traveling right at 1300 fps.

A great firearm; most definitely one that I should
never have swapped for a model 29 Smith!!!:)

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

The 41 magnum is about as good as it gets. There are a lot of S&W's floating around, both in 57 and 657. Very easy to load for and a real joy to shoot. I have seen several Marlin lever actions at gun shows.

C.R. Sam

There's always the Taurus M415, if you're really wanting for a .41 Magnum subby. It's also available in Titanium. The only thing I'd have against a Taurus is the keylock, but I've handled Tauri and the locking mechanism is unintrustive.

M410.gif

Nightcrawler.......nice but since I go through 10-20 or more thousand rounds/year in my carry guns I prefer blued to stainless. The 445B in .41 stead of .44 would be a winner in my book.

Sam

Forty one Magnum is the most under rated, under appreciated cartridges ever to hit the commercial market. The ballistics are awesome to say the least and the power band is extremely wide. Unfortunately, the cartridge has again been slapped in face again with down loaded commercial offerings in order to accommodate mediocre engineering for Taurus.

Robert

Ruger is currently offering the Blackhawk in .41 Magnum again (after dropping it several years ago) in 4 5/8 and 6 1/2 inch barrel. You probably get more gun for your money in Blackhawk than just about any revolver out there. Unless you really want a DA, look at the Blackhawk (and it will be a great companion to a .41 Magnum Marlin 1894 if you can find one--I saw one for sale not too long ago on one of the auction sites probably).

Better for one who rolls their own.

Suggest 41 Magnum as just under 44 Mag (until you get into real heavy bullets), and ideal launch platform (used) 5.5" Redhawk.

I'm extremely happy with my Taurus mod 415 snubby as pictured earlier. As a "always with me in the woods gun" it's just about perfect. Small, lightweight, powerful and an excellent value. I packed it with me today at a remote lake close to the house stoked with Cor-Bon's 170gr load which is powerful but yet controllable. I was really impressed with the fit and finish on this gun. Trigger pull is better than my older S&W mod 19. Now on to the S&W arena- Are S&W 41 magnums sweet ? Yes they are. Have enthusiests bought new S&W's since the betrayal? Yes they have and thats sad and a betrayal to us all. Older S&W 41 maggie's are nice but if you buy a new one please don't brag about it. Just my thoughts, J. Parker

41 Magnum has a small but fanatical following, especially among S&W lovers. It has some advantages over both 357 and 44 mags, as some have noted. Less recoil than 44, more oomph than 357. But to most, really not enough difference to cause them to switch. Plus ammo availability and high cost of factory ammo.

Similar woes beset the 10mm Auto cartridge, imho.

The S&W Model 57 in the presentation box is beyond doubt a highly desirable sidearm. I had a nickel 4" and like a lot of my hardware it has moved on to greener pastures. :cool:

Smiths: 58, 57, 657
Taurus: 415, 425
Ruger: Blackhawk, Bisley
Dan Wesson
NON-REV: Desert Eagle, T/C, Marlin

A fun caliber to shoot and reload for;
been enjoying them since 1968.
Do not have the DW or DE; did not like the condition of those two when I saw them; maybe someday I will see good condition ones.
Try it...you'll like it!:D

.41 mag

Every time I see a post about the .41 mag, I get sad. That's because I had a Model 57 4" factory nickel which was a truly great revolver. Extremely accurate and reliable. I reloaded the .41 mag cartridge to mid-velocity (probably 800-900 fps) with 170-grain lead SWC bullets and shot the living heck out of that gun.

So what happened to it? I got stupid and traded it on something else.

Gosh, I wish I still had that revolver!!!!

I have S&W 57 6" with Guy Hogues, it was my first double-action revolver.

No experience with hand-loads, but I have found it to be superbly accurate with the aforementioned 175-grain Silvertips.

The obscure/odd calibers just seem to be the best.

hmmm...

I've been poking around the Dan Wesson website, and have spoken with the company reps. Their emails were polite and prompt, and informative. The company was reorganized sometime in the mid-90s, but it's still a small company. The customizability of their revolvers is what I'm really attracted to, I think. Besides that, for a full size .41 Magnum revolver, it's the only choice out there anymore. I don't want a single action, there aren't any used S&Ws down here (and am not going to drive 500 miles down state to one of the big gun shows), and I sure as hell ain't gonna buy a new Smith. The Taurus would make a fine carry gun, but I want a full size first off.

Hell, maybe I'll get the Taurus Tracker in .41 Mag. It's cheaper than the DW, though from what I can tell, the DWs made today are of the highest quality, and come with a 10 year warranty.

http://www.dan-wesson.com

Back