Teevee Westerns

Jay Baker

"Gunsmoke," was a very good western. It was the longest running dramatic series in the history of teevee. There'll never be another like it.

J.B.

Umm, what the heck! Good a time as any to open a differnt slant of the topic I guess.
Gunsmoke.
Rifleman.
Have Gun will travel.
Maverick
Cheyenne,Sugarfoot and(can't think of the third one in the series)
Wild Wild West
Lone Ranger.

Don't forget "Wanted, Dead or Alive."

Sorry I can't agree about "Wild, Wild West." I always thought it was one of the most overrated shows on television.

I always liked Paladin's attitude on "Have Gun, Will Travel".

One of my favorite bits was some bad guy starting to draw while Paladin was seated on a bench outside a local saloon. Paladin pops up with a derringer from behind his belt buckle, bringing everything to a halt; and the line was, "My. You ARE slow!"

:), Art

Bonanza, best all-around for both humor and drama. Hoss and Little Joe were always getting into some sort of predicament.

------------------
The difference between an optimist and a pessimist is the pessimist has more information.

Can't forget The Lawman, The Deputy and The Rebel. Nick Adams as the Rebel was always one of my favorites, liked the shotgun :)

------------------
We preserve our freedoms by using four boxes: soap,ballot,jury, and cartridge.
Anonymous

That was Steve McQueen in The Bounty Hunter :)

------------------
Anonymous

The oldies were and are the best! The new TNT original movies have been pretty good, though, and they seem to get the firearms right. Model 95 Winchesters and Krags in "The Rough Riders," Model 97 Winchesters and appropriate handguns in "You know My Name," etc. I still wish Nicklodeon or someone would find the old black and white "Sugarfoot", "Cheyenne", "The Rebel", etc. episodes and show them. Does anyone know if they were destroyed or lost?

[This message has been edited by Calif Hunter (edited May 11, 2000).]

I was at Wally-World the other day. They had a big bin full of $3.00 movies. Two were Lone Ranger TV episodes from the late 40's and 50's. There was a bunch of old John Wayne 1930's era westerns as well. Haven't had a chance to watch them all yet, but I bought about 30 movies, so give me time.
I love old westerns, even the silent ones. :)
Paul B.

I know these aren't teevee westerns, but my two favorite western movies are True Grit and Quigly Down Under. Another good one is Tombstone.

Ever since seeing Quigly, I've been hankerin' for a similar rifle that Tom Selleck's character used. Such a beautiful firearm!

Anybody remember that part in Tombstone where Doc Holiday, facing off the badguy gunfighter, said "I'll be your huckleberry..." I loved that line!

------------------
For God so loved the world that he gave his onlly begoten Son...

I gotta chime in on this too. How about Hugh O'Brien in Wyatt Earp, or Rory Calhoun(I think) as Shotgun Slade, Bat Masterson, and The Cisco Kid. Also, wasn't there a series about Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid? I also seem to remember "Tales of the Texas Rangers". Don't remember who was in some of these, just remember the series.

A few good westerns still come around, but not often. ojibweindian stole my thunder with Quigley Down Under one of the better later day westerns. I loved "I didn't say I didn't know how to use 'em. I just said I didn't much like a hand gun". Loved it! But, "Shane" is still my favorite. Tombstone.....awesome! A person needs to see the movies, Wyatt Earp, Tombstone, and Sunset(Bruce Willis & James Garner) all together. Now that's an evenings entertainment.

True, the mind do wander back. Kinda wished I could go back with it.

I wasted enough bandwidth for off topic.(sigh)

Yeah.....Audrey. Definite robo-babe. Of course, no one can actually compare to Maureen O'Hara in The Sons of Katie Elder, or was it McClintock. I really can't remember. Maureen has a way of making me silly with stupidity :)

Can't forget Laredo with Neville Brand. Also you can view some of these oldies but goodies on Nick at Nights TV land channel :)

------------------
Anonymous

Oops! Walter Brennan - The Guns of Will Sonnet.

What WAS that line that he had? (Gettin' Axehammers disease.)

Back