Ted Williams Model 73

orsogato,

Could not agree more with you! My 30yr old Savage 110E almost looks fancy compared to all these new "budget" rifles.

IMHO:
A Sears and Roback rifle?_ So says its engraving.
Its not a Winchester. Sears guns were contract built most having subtle differences. If Sears specifications met those of the manufacture? Winchester would have engraved. (Made by Winchester for Sears) but they weren't & didn't have such a engraving.

Savage Remington Husqvarna and others contract built firearms for Sears. So to say "I have a Sears 53 which is the same as a _yada yada yada_" no it is not. In appearance it only look's the same as a _Yada yada yada_.

I disagree, Sure Shot Mc Gee. No matter what the engraving "says" or doesn't say, the rifle in question was made by Winchester for Sears and it is based on the Model 70 action (likely the Model 670 "economy"model variant). "Subtle differences" aside, this was a common practice for many years; involving not just firearms but appliances, outboard motors, tires, etc., whether it was Sears, Montgomery Wards, J.C.Penny, Western Auto or some other retail business.

It's like the difference between a Glenfield and a real Marlin: Made under the same roof, by the same people, to most of the same specifications, with virtually 100% interchangeability, the differences are cosmetic to fulfill a large contract. Not unlike Lipsey's special runs of Ruger revolvers. The rifle in question can take Winchester replacement parts because it it was made by Winchester. Remington parts won't fit. Let's not over-think this and split hairs over the label.
P.S. My model 70 has the same Winchester proof-mark, in the same location.

Last edited:
I disagree, Sure Shot Mc Gee. No matter what the engraving "says" or doesn't say, the rifle in question was made by Winchester for Sears and it is based on the Model 70 action (likely the Model 670 "economy"model variant). "Subtle differences" aside, this was a common practice for many years; involving not just firearms but appliances, outboard motors, tires, etc., whether it was Sears, Montgomery Wards, J.C.Penny, Western Auto or some other retail business.

Still common practice today.
Perfect example is yard tractors aka riding mowers.
Most are built by MTD and branded as Whatever.

I will enjoy this rifle and I could careless about "value" it will NEVER be sold anyway.

Also had a SEARS outboard on our boat as a kid. It was an Evinrude in disguise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it's nice, just the way it is. It's period-correct. No need to put a, "nicer", stock on it. It's a fine example, worthy of admiration for what it is.

I may not care for the impressed "checkering" on the stock but, more importantly, it has way better figure in it than any Model 670 I've ever seen and even better than some, if not most, Model 70s. My guess also is that the stock is real walnut, a big step up from the birch used in more pedestrian variants.

Dept. store guns

There are great guns out there that due to their pedigree become a real bargain if one is buying the gun to use.
My JC Higgins model 50 .270 is the finest rifle I own, it too has a department store pedigree. It's an FN Mauser action, along with a chrome lined High Standard barrel. Lots of these fine old guns were "shredded" for their FN Mauser action.
Mine will stay a department store mutt.....that holds 1 MOA. It will be my sons rifle when I head to the big gun club in the sky.

There are some mighty fine guns out there that wear a department store label.

It's a Win.

A late friend of mine had a Ted Williams Mod 53. 270 Win, really nice wood and looked EXACTLY like my mod 70 XTR action. It had Winchester proof marks on the receiver, confirmed by our local gunsmith.

Back