Techniques for shooting snub nose revolvers-DA

"You are better off practicing to get a smooth pull through from begining to end with no staging or hessitation"

+1

After working on "staging" firing several hundred rounds, I began to doubt its practical value...if ever I had to use my 342pd in close quarters, in a flash. Perhaps even from within a pocket. I know lots of folks believe staging best in DA revolvers. I just think differently.

I have a M85 also. Instead of a quarter, I use an empty shell casing and snap caps. It helps and you can use this for any gun when trying to improve trigger control.

Chris

When my eyesight started failing, I went to point-shooting with my 640. I found it helpful to think about "pushing" the barrel straight toward the target as I pulled the trigger. I'm not sure I actually moved the gun forward, but I thought "push". I had no problem hitting center-of-mass at 5-7 yards.

I now use Crimson Trace lasergrips.

Howdy!
Maybe this is just common knowledge and goes w/o saying but just in case it isn't: One common part of a lot of handgun shooters' grip procedures is to push outward slightly w/ the gun hand while pulling inwardly w/ the support hand. This creates a more rigid, steadier platform in which the handgun is held. I've had a lot of luck keeping the sights on target through the course of the long DA trigger squeeze using this method. That, and an 11 lb. Wolff trigger rebound spring has made my S&W 640-1 (DA only) much, much easier to fire accurately while still going "bang" every time. (750 rounds so far.)

Good luck with your progress!

snub-nose practising..

locate a club that has a bowling pin shoot just for club members.
Here you will learn to shoot the snubnose quickly and accurately.
Determine what ammo for carry/defense and reload an equivilent load for practice.
The other shooter will likely offer suggestion listen and act on them.

Suggest for standard load the Hornady 140gr XTP load.
have fun it will be frustrating at first but enjoyable when a pin goes slowly backwards off the table.

Thanks for all the help everyone. Pushing the gun out helped significantly. It took some practice, but i even like to shoot the gun now. :)

?

shoot and shoot and did i say shoot it? thats the best cure for most shooting related problems, i picked up a m36 on wednesday yesterday i put 500 rounds thru it and iam walking out the house right now with another 500 pluss some +p loads iam going to compair the speeds with the chronograph,
best of luck

I work with

a fellow who regularly puts 9" paper plates up at 100 yards and hits them with his 2" (and my 2") barrelled Taurus (his Smith) .38 spcl snubbies. They can be accurate. I've hit the target at that range too (hammerless DAO revolver), but I prefer ranges no farther then 15 yards.

Practice, Practice, Practice, and more practice...I can shoot a perfect qualifying score with it; I couldn't two years ago...

Back