Teak plank from BB-62. Make grips from it?

The wood will never have any monetary value. I'm not worried about that.
It's just a little connection to the ship I was so fond of as a boy.
I'm not interested in buying a WWII era gun. I'll slap a pair of grips on the Kimber and hope I have enough wood left over for a second pair for something else.

As far as I can see, the only point to using wood documented to come from the USS New Jersey is to make some kind of theme, or presentation piece grips, something relating to the ship, the Navy, or WWII in general.

ANYTHING else, its just a piece of wood.

It's your wood, do as you wish.

While stationed in Taipei, Taiwan in 1958, my dad had a few teak tables custom made before we returned stateside. I wound up with the coffee table and two end tables. It would be interesting to see the color of your weathered plank in contrast to the natural shade of my indoor-pampered tables:
Summer2012047.jpg

^^^ Back in 1958 it was Formosa. ;):)

The New Jersey has been in and out of mothballs four times since being commissioned in the 40's. Portions of the deck have been replaced numerous times since then, and there's probably no telling from which era the OP's teak came from.

And I'm sure a nice set of grips can be made from it. I'd like to see it when done.

Looks like the block of Teak I have in the garage. I picked up an 8ft long by about 3" thick by about 14" wide block of Teak from a local hardwoods store nearly 20 years ago. It has been sitting in the garage seasoning for years since then.

I just have not figured what exactly to do with it. Teak is hard on tools as was pointed out above and is naturally oily. I also believe the dust from sanding is kind of hard on the lungs so use proper PPE.

None of the Iowas were scrapped.

New Jersey is in Camden.
Wisconsin is in Norfolk.
Missouri is facing the Arizona at Pearl Harbor.
Iowa is in Los Angeles.

The Illinois and Kentucky were never completed.

Nifty trivia: The Wisconsin suffered bow damage after a collision with a destroyer. The bow of the Kentucky was used for repairs and the result was an extra foot or so of length being added to the Wisconsin. She is now the largest battleship we made.

That's big. :D

Thanks.

The man who sent me this piece said that it was laid down in 1943. The main deck had been replaced more than once. Pine had been used. Teak was only installed during construction. The use of pine would explain the rough condition of the other decks.
An interesting side note is that much of the pine used in ship decks came from the Crane Naval Weapons Support Station in Crane, IN. That is where my uncle did the weapons development work. I was able to visit the facility prior to my uncle's retirrment.

Last edited:
Hmm, there doing the same thing with decking from the USS North Carolina, BB-55 (docked in Wilmington NC). Would be pretty cool to have teak deck stocks on my 5" S&W M&P (1945 manufacture) from the most decorated battleship of WWII :cool: .

Back