Teaching someone who is terrified of guns

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lots of good info here, and I can only really add my experience with the CZ Kadet Kit as a training tool and plinker. I've had one for about 13 years, and always bring it to the range with my 75B, but I do use it on my 75D PCR as well. My wife will only shoot .22LR, so this is a good way for her to shoot a "service pistol" that I keep for home defense.

The Kadet Kit works great. It is reliable with bulk ammo, and just about anything I use, and very accurate. It rivals some of my Ruger MK II's, and that is saying a lot.

I ran into something fairly similar with my sister. I took her to the range one day and she was missing the entire target from the 3 yard line (would hit on the 2 foot by 3 foot paper about 3 out of 10 shots). The problem was she just wasn't used to it and I did a HORRIBLE job of introducing her to shooting.

I've since learned from that mistake and always introduce new shooters outside of a range. I show them it's clear, put some snap caps in and work on the grip, using sights, pulling the trigger, etc... as well as a safety talk. I usually point out that I don't have any ammo even in the same room so they get more comfortable.

Since they have a good chance to pull the trigger quite a few times before we head to the range and I can help correct anything wrong with the stance or grip with them being able to hear me (indoor range) it works out MUCH better. I've since bought a laserlyte training target thing that is a blast as well for new shooters to try out.

After a proper introduction, I'm happy to say my sister shot great on her second trip to the range.

I don't know who said anything about large bore revolvers. I don't even have any experience with that. Biggest I've shot is a .40 in a compact polymer and while I'd do a .45 a .44 magnum would scare me too. She did, however, mention that she likes revolvers.

We had a talk today and I don't know if it's something she'll get comfortable with. I think anyone could be but she's just got an intense phobia and doesn't feel comfortable taking that leap. I'm not going to force that first interaction because I don't believe someone can learn something like gun safety without choosing to do so. She was anxious and hesitant when we talked about target shooting (without giving an answer one way or the other) but made it clear that she would never want the responsibility of shooting at somebody and that carrying or even using a gun in the event of a bad situation isn't something she's willing to do. I wish it wasn't that way but I'm a strong believer that anybody who isn't ready to shoot a gun should not be carrying one and I'm glad she can at least make that call.

I made the offer today that if she wants to take a class I'll pay for it and if she ends up liking it I'll buy a revolver that she can shoot with. I'd keep it but eventually give it to her if she got comfortable.

I don't know if it's something that's going to happen but I do think that, given she's willing to work with me, I'm going to get some snap caps or something and teach her how to clear and safe my gun since it's going to be in her proximity so much. Maybe later on she'll feel more able and willing to try. I've got a couple of months until it becomes a problem but I told her to think on it and let me know if she decides to take me up on the offer.

2 years ago, my wife was almost deathly afraid of guns. She was uncomfortable seeing them in person. It took a month or two of convincing before she'd let me carry my 12ga for bear protection. Today, she owns her own handgun, shoots regularly and constantly asks me if I'm packing (as in, she's uncomfortable with the environment/situation and warts that safety net).

A friend of hers invited her to a women's only training class. They shot .38 revolvers. They were taught safety, proper handling, proper cleaning, stance and grip. In the course of a morning, she went from almost deathly afraid to wanting more. She said she had wished the class was longer.

So what's my point? Well, a few things:

1) Don't give up.
2) Don't be pushy. She brought up the idea of learning. Find her a class and pay for it. Get one of her friends to go also, and pay for her.
3) You really shouldn't be the one teaching her...ask my wife about the stovepipe incident
4) Be prepared for her still being uncomfortable, or not liking guns...there are no guarantees.
5) If #4 occurs...don't give up your convictions and beliefs.

First it seems to me your girlfriend has a legitimate fear she needs to address. I am not saying she is mentally ill or anything but she should talk to some professional who can help her settle the issues she has. Now how to teach her about guns. You won't be able to do anything until she is ready. You may want to find a womens only class and arrange a time when you can discuss this with the instructor. They may be able to help out. One thing you do not want to do is force the issue on her. You may lose her and make her feel even worse about the situation. Take it slow and easy

There is a world of difference between someone being truly mentally ill and the views described here.

Saying someone who doesn't want to do the gun thing needs professional help is as sensible as antigunners saying that those who do the gun thing need professional help.

If she's up to it, start with NRA Home Firearms Safety (no shooting occurs in the class), followed by NRA Basic Pistol, and then any two to four day defensive handgun course.

Make her understand that pistol shooting is also a sport by shooting at paper or reactive target's, not just hunting or using weapons for killing humans or animals.

Google: Zen Pistol Shooting

Shooting Sport --- The Dhamma Encyclopedia

www.zenshootists.com/zenarticle.htm

Last edited:
You know, I'm uncomfortable with someone discussing the psychological difficulties of another real person on an open forum.

Do you have permission to do such? Did the OP tell her that her 'problems' would be made public?

I have no trouble discussing the best teaching method but an original poster's psychological profiling of someone else rubs my professional mind the wrong way.

We are not a counseling center.

Thus, Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back