Tea Party Events

MROD828

Inactive
Ok, so these tea party events are to express frustration with the current administration over a number of issues. With that in mind and the threat to take away the right to bear arms ... do you guys think it would be a good thing or a bad thing to Open Carry (if its legal) to one of these events. I am going to the one in Phoenix and I just wanted to throw this question out there.

I wouldn't, but then again I don't think open carry is such a hot idea in the first place (it draws unneccesarry attention).

Lots of the Paulian/Revolution folks open carry at their events. FreedomsPhoenix here in town has the "Breakfast Club" and has done it for ~20 years... I see quite a few open carry pistols for that breakfast meeting.

The Phoenix freedom movement is very pro-carry. I'd worry about carrying at the Capitol though... even on the grounds in front of it.

I'd say conceal, and look for signs prohibiting and act accordingly.

It would be illegal in some places.

Carry, open or concealed, is sometimes prohibited at any large gathering of people.

Secondarily, the TEA parties have nothing to do with the current administration, particularly. They are a response to years of governmental fiscal irresponsibility, partially from the previous and current administrations, but not exclusively.

We had a great turnout in Sioux Falls today. I was actually surprised at how early people began showing up. Very orderly and no "counter protesters" that I saw. The crowd had a mix of young and old, suits and jeans, lots of enthusiasm.

Chair+forums for me. Well, forums in one window, at least. Not so much laziness, but more that I don't agree with much of the sentiment driving them and they smell vaguely of astroturf (at least the lead-up did).

At the same time, seems like most of them went well and I wholeheartedly support the idea of people showing up to make their concerns known. Too many people think that showing up to the ballot box once every two or four years is enough. It's good to see people dusting off one of the clauses of the first amendment that I don't think sees enough use. It's good to get out the signs and get your (peaceful) rabble on every now and then.

And yeah, a vast majority of what I've heard about the crowds has been positive. So good for y'all that showed up.

Personally, I think it would be a very bad idea... For no other reason than the fact that some of these types of events tend to turn violent. Not to say that these will, but the possibility exists. I would tread carefully at any/all events like these, whether carrying or not, if I were to decide to go at all...

This cause has certainly spiderwebbed

it started out as a protest to bring attentino to the governments overspending... if you try to turn it into an open carry protest it's just going to distract from the real goal and might attract some unwanted attention.

I watched them today and saw a guy with a 1911 open carried in an owb holster. I think it sends a message but maybe some unwanted attention also.

Back