TC Venture 270 wsm

I tried a few loads the other day in this rifle that were only neck sized as an experiment. They didnt chamber hard,, but many of them did in fact chamber with some resistance. (Back to FL sizing it is.)

I am also finding that I am getting pretty impressive velocities in this rifle with H-1000, and RL 26.

And although the Magpro shoots really well in this rifle it is pretty slow. almost 200 FPS behind RL 26. Although I guess I could step on the gas a little with the magpro.

Kilo, maybe you can help me out on this one. I'm not new to reloading, but am still in that initial learning phase.

I have often heard of people only neck-sizing their fired brass, but I don't see any way one would be able to chamber that cartridge and have it close normally. I would think the result you had (ie, it not closing normally) would be what would happen every time. I know I've always had to FL resize my brass.
And actually, one time I had a problem where I ran them through the FL resizing die and they still didn't chamber. All I had to do was screw the FL die in about another 1/8th of a turn and they were fine. Can you explain how there would ever be a time a bolt would close on a cartridge that hasn't been FL resized?

Good question lol.

I have had rifles that would chamber neck sized brass OK for several firings. others that wouldn't. Most often when people neck size they will bump the shoulder back a few thousandths.

I do not generally neck size brass. I full length size every time. The reason is. I feel like by full length sizing every time my brass will start at a more consistent size after being through the die. Than it would be after it rebounds from expanding in the chamber. I don't know if there is any truth to that. I have noticed ,more consistent velocities and less vertical stringing in my own groups. That could just be coincidence.

Neck sizing this time was only experimental.

Supreme 780 is the highest velocity powder I have found in 130 gr.
At just half a grain above Hodgdon's starting data. 71.5 grains of H-1000 yielded me an average speed of 3305 with the Sierra Game king SBT. I am not sure how much faster I would want to push that bullet. That Sierra is gonna come apart if I shoot at something closer than 100 yards. What velocities are you getting with 780?

LOL, Head shots would be ok close up. I guess I could always spend the extra cash for accubonds or a Barnes....

I am getting 3320 from 780. All I could get from H1000 was high 3100s, never broke 3200. I took 1000 up too high on pressure to get that. I had 2 out of 5 fail to extract without the help of my steel rod.

What I found interesting was the fact that with the H1000 and that Sierra bullet. I had a faster average speed with 71.5 grains of h1000, with a better SD. Than I had with 72.5 grains of H1000.

Since I am getting good velocity with this powder with that bullet. I am also going to try it with the 140 grain Ballistic tip.

With RL 26, I got the 140 grain bullets up to 3150 avg with a SD of 10.

I was also able to push the 130 grain bullets 60 FPS faster with H1000 than RL 26. So if that trend continues with the 140 grain bullet. I may be able to get around 3200 with the 140 grain bullet. Well see.

Maybe I just have a fast barrel, but I didn't expect those velocities with H1000...

Back