TC Encore Katahdin:S&W .460 vs.500

If you go with 460 SW absolutely DO NOT buy a factory barrel. They use the 45 LC twist and it does not work at all for 460 and has poor performance for .454. Search the internet and you will find many reports.

With the change to carbines from pistols in Ohio I dropped the 460 and got a 45-70 barrel.

Last edited:
In myOP, one reason for changing;just tired of 12ga.slug recoil and shotgun slugs in general.Thanks for saving me from myself!!Just wondering how do those calibers compare in recoil to a 12ga. 1oz.slug in my Encore?

As 12ga slug gun pales in comparison to the .460 & .500 out of a T/C.

I understand it's not a legal option for Indiana hunting, but I used to have a 20" .45-70 Encore Katahdin (and a 50-caliber muzzleloader barrel in the same configuration). It earned the nickname "The Punisher". Six-pound fixed-breech carbine, 300-grain slugs at 1900-fps, you can figure the rest. :eek: A standard 1-oz 12-gauge slug in just about any conventional set-up is a put-tee cat in comparison. In fact, 100-grains of Triple Seven or Pyrodex throwing 250-grain sabots in the .50-caliber barrel were far more comfortable to shoot.

(I offer this comparison as the .460 and .500 S&W are definitely in the same power-class as the .45-70 in a carbine.)

Like the 460, the 45-70 offers a large range of power out of an Encore. Well, that is what I hear. I just received my barrel this week.

I am planning to use a weighted Encore though. Not sure if I will permanently add lead to cutouts in the stock or find a way to add detachable bags, but I plan to add a few pounds.

45-70 outside the Indiana length restrictions?

Ask First!!

One more BIG thank-you to TFL for your thoughtful and eye-opening replies.Thanks guys! :D

Back