Taurus warranty work

I had an old taurus revolver that worked well. All my Rossis shoot great but only after I did invasive surgery--and woe be to you if you lose even a small screw--the entire firearm will need to be packed and shipped to Brazil for more than a 3 hour tour (Gilligan's Island).

These days, a registered piece of mail or package will take several weeks just to make it between the shipper and destination. There has been a stress breakdown in shipping services as they are getting overloaded. About 50% of my packages arrive damaged and/or often go missing for weeks as they are rerouted and not checked in/out during the pandemic.

I've decided that I can no longer support any firearms importer/manufacturer that dos not have factory-level maintenance support in the country. Taurus is one of these, as is Rock Island Armory. They are otherwise just glorified importers/distributers, their profit model is not going to fit well with quality reliable service and warranty work IMO.

My oldest Taurus is a PT-99 (Beretta 92) that is over 30 years old, has thousands of rounds through it, including a lot of my favorite Blue Dot maximum load (115 gr. JHP@1380fps), and never a problem. I've had a Raging Bull 44 Magnum for 25 years, that has been my primary handgun hunting pistol, taking many deer and an elk. Never a problem. Bought a Taurus 1911 when they first came out and it is a great pistol, as good as any of my Colts or clones. Just got a Taurus 1911 Commander this spring because it was on clearance and I just couldn't resist the price. Only have about 300 rounds through it so far, works great, except I can feel the connection between the trigger stirrup and the grip safety when I squeeze the trigger. I can fix that someday and it doesn't interfere with the operation of the pistol. I also have a Rossi Model 92 replica in 44 WCF that has always worked well. Bought it from a cowboy action shooter who used it in competition. Since it's a strong locked breech and the same gun is chambered in 44 Magnum, I've made some 44-40 reloads that are 44 Magnum level for use only in that rifle, with no problems. These reloads are clearly marked as I have toggle link 44-40's too, that I would never fire them in. So far, I can't complain about my personal experience with Taurus.

44caliberkid, I think that is by far the majority of Taurus buyers' experience. I think the "bad rep" is just that negative things get plastered all over the place and the good stuff doesn't. Just like the news. And some poor slobs like me are just "lemon magnets". But even I have a Taurus that has been flawless since day-1, that I dearly love and prefer over any S&W I have picked up ... it is my Tracker .41 magnum. All makers have lemons ... I have two original Ruger .44 mag Vaqueros that are so inaccurate that all they are good for is paper weights ... not one, but two. On the other hand my Ruger MKIII Competition is one of the two most accurate handguns I have ever shot ... the other was my old Dan Wesson 357 that was stolen in a burglary.

Last edited:
Back